Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Freeze potato kugel

Golde  

Post Today at 9:28 am
Hi, I read somewhere on this site that potato kugel freezes well. I want to make a few and freeze for yontef. But how do I do it? I always heard they're best fresh.
Do I make and bake and then freeze? Or is it better to make make the batter and freeze and then stick in the oven before yontif? Grateful for any tips!

mdogzz

Post Today at 9:31 am
Make and par bake now. On erev yomtov cover it well and bake it the rest of the way through. If you freeze it raw it will be a gross texture because the potatoes will brown.

Brit in Israel  

Post Today at 9:35 am
I'm in the middle of eating a yummy kugel I froze probably over 2 months ago
As soon as it cool down cover and freeze. When you want to use it take it straight from freezer into boiling oven 400°f covered. A loaftin takes 45 mins then uncover for 5-10 mins until crispy

Chayalle  

Post Today at 9:35 am
If you want to do overnight potato kugel, you make your potato kugel as usual now. On YT my oven is usually on low - I take the potato kugel out of the freezer, pour about 1/2 cup of water over it, cover and stick into the oven for several hours.

I made this for my DD's L'Chaim and it was very popular.

imaima  

Post Today at 9:41 am
Is there a way to warm it up in a (not extremely hot) plate? My plate is not the type that can cook food all by itself, it just warms it up. Could I defrost on the counter and then warm up on a hot plate?

Chayalle

Post Today at 9:44 am
imaima wrote:
Is there a way to warm it up in a (not extremely hot) plate? My plate is not the type that can cook food all by itself, it just warms it up. Could I defrost on the counter and then warm up on a hot plate?

I would defrost on the hot plate, not on the counter.

Rachelw1

Post Today at 9:48 am
I think that’s its best to warm straight from the freezer, if defrosted before the texture is not the best

Queen Of Hearts

Post Today at 9:53 am
Best method for freezing potato kugel. I bake it on 500° for an hour to get a nice dark crust. Let it cool. Freeze.
When you're ready to use stick straight into oven. Do not defrost.
I bake it on 250° for around 4 hours.
Tastes like fresh. 😋

anonymrs  

Post Today at 9:56 am
I freeze raw and put it straight from freezer into hot oven. It only goes bad if you defrost it first.

Golde

Post Today at 10:01 am
Wow, thank you, everyone! I didn't expect so many tips! But should have known I could count on you imas!
I have never cooked/heated anything straight from the freezer, but will definitely give it a try. Thank you all!

imaima  

Post Today at 10:05 am
anonymrs wrote:
I freeze raw and put it straight from freezer into hot oven. It only goes bad if you defrost it first.

Do you freeze potato/egg mixture? Wow

Ruchi

Post Today at 10:35 am
I freeze baked kugel. Defrost in the fridge and then place onto hat platta. It's perfect. Not watery.

Brit in Israel

Post Today at 10:45 am
imaima wrote:

I would do it erev YT like I've posted above and then put it on the hotplate before the meal (even if it's next day or 2).
I do it often Friday mornings otherwise I forget nearer to Shabbos and then it goes later on on hotplate or next day if I want it with cholent.

imaima

Post Today at 11:19 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
I would do it erev YT like I've posted above and then put it on the hotplate before the meal (even if it's next day or 2).
I do it often Friday mornings otherwise I forget nearer to Shabbos and then it goes later on on hotplate or next day if I want it with cholent.

Thank you

anonymrs

Post Today at 4:42 pm
imaima wrote:
Do you freeze potato/egg mixture? Wow

Yup every week. I think it only works if you have a good freezer. I make the whole Kugel, put it in a 9x13 pan and put it straight into the freezer.

schoolbus

Post Today at 4:44 pm
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Best method for freezing potato kugel. I bake it on 500° for an hour to get a nice dark crust. Let it cool. Freeze.
When you're ready to use stick straight into oven. Do not defrost.
I bake it on 250° for around 4 hours.
Tastes like fresh. 😋

I do the same. You can’t taste a difference from a fresh one
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes