Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Sharing your file (and people copying you in general)
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 8:18 am
Even if you’re not a teacher I’d like to hear your opinions.
If you are a teacher do you share your file with everyone?
I keep getting calls to share my stuff. I’ve shared in the past sometimes only with people I know or with people who took me over in jobs that I left…..
my brain tells me to share and it’s a zechus and to be nice. But somehow whenever I share emotionally I feel horrible…. Like I’m giving away my unique creative ideas….. and then I feel horrible that I feel horrible……cuz I really wanna be nice.
And just generally I always feel so horrible when I share where I bought stuff and people copy. (People always copy me) But I don’t wanna not share cuz I wanna be nice. Why can’t I feel good when I share???

Can you give opinions what’s the way to go? Do you share your stuff? Do you like when people copy you in general?

amother
Olive  

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 8:22 am
I also had a hard time sharing. Its a midda thats hard for some people. I firmly believe what goes around comes around in some way or another. Hashem sees it all. Daven when you give.

teachkids

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 8:26 am
I share everything I'm proud of. I don't like sharing things I don't feel are perfected yet.

When I first started I needed resources so why shouldn't I share?

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 8:43 am
amother Olive wrote:
I also had a hard time sharing. Its a midda thats hard for some people. I firmly believe what goes around comes around in some way or another. Hashem sees it all. Daven when you give.

My question is why is it so hard for me? And when I do push myself to do it and people benefit I should be feeling good. But instead I feel horrible and in a bad mood.
Since I’m young I always had people copy me and I always hated it. And it’s so dumb really to hate it. How do I get past it?

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 8:45 am
It depends what. Small resources here and there, of course, I'm happy for them to help someone else. A whole curriculum or whole topic, I'm more reluctant. It would have taken me a long time to develop and I might ask for payment. If I've done a whole term programme for teaching brochos, I'm not going to just share it with everyone.
Also to be aware that some schools can hold proprietary control. My friend has in her contract that all work she creates for the school belongs to the school, not to her, and she's not allowed to just share it.

s1

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 8:59 am
The reason I don't mind sharing resources I've created (in general) is that I see that we all have the same goal - educating the next generation - so I see it as my responsibility and privilege to help others I this area.
If it's someone within my school, they can use whatever they want. From another school, I can share a few bits and pieces but if it's a full syllabus etc then they would have to pay my school.

amother
Khaki  

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 9:02 am
I'm not a teacher but do make educational materials.

I've gotten to a point where I just put it out lechatchila for others to use as they see fit.

I view it as if I'm rich in that department, that I have the ability make these materials. So this is my tzedakah, sharing with others less fortunate (capable) in creating materials.

It helped once I realized that I could always make something new, that I wasn't really giving away a finite resource.

amother
Mustard  

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 9:04 am
Would it help if your name was on it.
Like a copyright with your name and phone number or email.
This way you’re sharing. But getting credit.

amother
Heather  

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 9:05 am
You should sell it. You aren’t required to give your work away for free. You deserve to be paid for it.

amother
Banana

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 9:08 am
I don't mind sharing at all.
I do sometimes get a bit miffed when people take my great ideas and pass them off as their own. I'm not a show off and don't need to tell everyone everything I do, but please don't take my work, get praised for it and make out as if it's yours. I'm not a teacher though, so may be it's different?

amother
  Heather  

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 9:08 am
amother OP wrote:
My question is why is it so hard for me? And when I do push myself to do it and people benefit I should be feeling good. But instead I feel horrible and in a bad mood.
Since I’m young I always had people copy me and I always hated it. And it’s so dumb really to hate it. How do I get past it?

This is normal and not dumb. Most people feel this way. I’m in a creative business and I don’t just give my stuff away for free. I put so much work into it and I don’t see it as a chessed to just hand it off to others who don’t want to pay for quality or put in their own work. I do a lot of chessed and I don’t see this as chessed. I see it as using and being lazy. If someone really needs help then it’s fine to buy materials, but no one should feel it’s owed to them.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 9:25 am
amother Mustard wrote:
Would it help if your name was on it.
Like a copyright with your name and phone number or email.
This way you’re sharing. But getting credit.

People just cross off your name. I had a teacher once who denied she used my stuff (she got the sheets from previous students) and made it like she created all the sheets. I literally saw her use all my sheets and got no credit. That was the worst story of people using my stuff……. At least Hashem knows.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 9:25 am
amother Heather wrote:
You should sell it. You aren’t required to give your work away for free. You deserve to be paid for it.

I don’t want to sell it. I don’t want to share at all. If I do share then I want the zechus. I don’t want the money. It’s not the point.

amother
  Heather

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 9:27 am
amother OP wrote:
I don’t want to sell it. I don’t want to share at all. If I do share then I want the zechus. I don’t want the money. It’s not the point.

Then don’t share it. You don’t have to. And you can only share if with an exclusive few that you feel like sharing with. You absolutely do not have to give to every random person that calls. Just say I’m sorry I don’t give it out but I can point you to these online resources.

amother
  Mustard

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 10:09 am
amother OP wrote:
People just cross off your name. I had a teacher once who denied she used my stuff (she got the sheets from previous students) and made it like she created all the sheets. I literally saw her use all my sheets and got no credit. That was the worst story of people using my stuff……. At least Hashem knows.

They is horrible. I can see why that would make you feel bad.

And it it says copyright with your name it’s real stealing and illegal to remove

amother
Diamond  

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 10:14 am
You don't have to share.

That being said, I made the decision to share freely with teachers I know and to share with my name, copyright, and phone number on the page with teachers I don't. I also speak to them and tell them that they may not change it or share it with others without permission.

I eventually got contacted by several schools who paid for my curriculum!

amother
  Diamond

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 10:22 am
On the other hand, I have a colleague who wrote a short note to give to students reminding them to being in their summer homework. The secretary thought was smart and typed her own, using almost identical words, to give to all classes. My colleague was so upset that her note was "stolen"

Queen Of Hearts

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 10:27 am
I understand you OP. It doesn't feel good to share and get no credit for your work.
Just know the harder something is to do the more schar you get for it.
But if it's causing real resentment maybe don't share your stuff till you feel you're really ready for it along with all the negative feelings.

And another point, there's a saying imitation is the best form of flattery (or something like that) so the fact that people are always copying you is a huge compliment.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 10:39 am
amother Mustard wrote:
They is horrible. I can see why that would make you feel bad.

And it it says copyright with your name it’s real stealing and illegal to remove

I do not write copyright. Oh well.

amother
  Khaki

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 10:42 am
amother OP wrote:
I do not write copyright. Oh well.

Copyright is implicit. You don't have to write it for it to be copyright.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics