Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby scares easily and can’t calm down

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:15 pm
My 3 month old gets scared from unexpected or loud noises, such as if I pick him up from behind, rip a piece of foil, or if someone makes a sudden loud noise nearby
He obviously starts crying but the issue is that he can’t calm down. He’s hysterical crying to the point of even throwing up a few times. The only way to calm him somewhat is to give him a bath or take him outside
Besides for this he’s a very easygoing sweet baby who hardly ever cries
Any advice? Is this normal

amother
Wine

Post Yesterday at 6:25 pm
I had a baby like that. Try using a sound machine maybe ?

amother
Gold

Post Yesterday at 6:28 pm
To calm down, have you tried blowing gently? It simulates a reflex to hold their breath, which temporarily stops crying, sometimes it helps when the baby is hysterical.

Dolly Welsh  

Post Yesterday at 6:33 pm
Even you would hate it, if someone touched you from behind and you had no warning.

This is easily solved. Simply speak to the baby before touching him.

Your voice is a kind of touch. First your voice should touch him, and only then, your hands. Even if it's just a second before, the voice first. It's better if he can also see you.

This picking him up from behind may have made him a bit fearful and jangled his still very immature nervous system.

Simply stop doing that.

Make sure his weight gain is very good. And try to get him some sunlight, or wide spectrum lamp light. Sun is best. On his face, on skin.

Should pass.

Revisit the whole thing in three months and see what you think then.

amother
Nutmeg

Post Yesterday at 6:36 pm
Has he had vaccines recently? My baby had this after shots.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:37 pm
amother Nutmeg wrote:
Has he had vaccines recently? My baby had this after shots.

No

Dolly Welsh  

Post Yesterday at 6:38 pm
If he is any kind of day care, check how they are treating him.

Plant cameras. When it's kids, there is no expectation of privacy.

Just musing, not accusing.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:39 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
If he is any kind of day care, check how they are treating him.

Plant cameras. When it's kids, there is no expectation of privacy.

Just musing, not accusing.

He’s not, he’s home with me

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:40 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Even you would hate it, if someone touched you from behind and you had no warning.

This is easily solved. Simply speak to the baby before touching him.

Your voice is a kind of touch. First your voice should touch him, and only then, your hands. Even if it's just a second before, the voice first. It's better if he can also see you.

This picking him up from behind may have made him a bit fearful and jangled his still very immature nervous system.

Simply stop doing that.

Make sure his weight gain is very good. And try to get him some sunlight, or wide spectrum lamp light. Sun is best. On his face, on skin.

Should pass.

Revisit the whole thing in three months and see what you think then.

Makes sense, obv I didn’t do it on purpose I thought he heard me because I was on the phone but even when I’m talking to him he’ll still get scared
I’ll try only from the front

Dolly Welsh

Post Yesterday at 6:46 pm
Yes, take the whole thing slloooower.

First loosen the muscles in your hands. Limp hands. Not tense hands. Shake them out loosey loose, like in birth class.

Then, from the front, speak softly and sweetly to him. He knew that when you were on the phone you were not talking directly to him in particular, so that did not prepare him for anything. Soooften your voice. Loosen the muscles in your throat that produce your voice.

Make eye contact. Smile. Paste on a smile no matter how you feel. Babies understand that facial configuration from birth.

Then, loosen the sheet of muscle along your whole front. By taking a deep breath. Relaaaxed hands and stomach.

And you have cooed and murmured something, no matter how brief, to him. Call him a pet name, 'oh little darling what's the matter.'

Now pick him up, but slooowly. Not whoosh. He is traveling several times his own length. It is as if you were lifted fifteen feet in the air. You would want that to be slow so you could adjust to the spatial difference.

I am sure you are a darling mommy so don't worry.

This sounds like a lot to do but practice until it's natural to you. The main thing is: voice first, loooose hands, slooow picking up.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Thu, Sep 19 2024, 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Plum  

Post Yesterday at 7:07 pm
Look up the Moro Reflex. It’s normal to react but his are more intense than average.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 8:16 pm
[quote="amother Plum"]Look up the Moro Reflex. It’s normal to react but his are more intense than average.[/quot

Right, but is there a reason he reacts stronger and is it something to worry about

amother
  Plum

Post Yesterday at 9:11 pm
[quote="amother OP"]
amother Plum wrote:
Look up the Moro Reflex. It’s normal to react but his are more intense than average.[/quot

Right, but is there a reason he reacts stronger and is it something to worry about

It is possible. But I wouldn’t be so worried at the moment. Work on figuring out how to calm him down.

Tzutzie

Post Yesterday at 9:23 pm
I had a baby like that.
Try boch relief remedy
Rub 2-3 drops into the inside of his wrist 2-3x a day.
Worked wonders.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics