Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Giving away vs storing

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 5:49 pm
The other thread got me thinking of this.

What clothing do you keep and what do you give away?

I have one almost 10 months old, and I can't get myself to give away his clothing. I'm thinking that I might have use for another child in the future.

I did give a few things to a family member, but they were very small so not something that gets ruined and she gave them back to me once her baby outgrew it

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 5:59 pm
Im storing everything until I'm done having kids, except for stuff we got in bags of hand me downs that I don't see myself using- that I pass on.

bsy

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 6:10 pm
I saved everything (both genders) til size 3. After that, I'm only keeping the clothes for the gender that I have 2 in a row. The bigger clothes take up more space to store and if I don't have another of that gender right now, I'd have to store the clothes for too many years to make it worth it.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 6:21 pm
Right now I have three little kids of the same gender. Anything in good condition I keep otherwise I throw out.
I still dont use everything from the previous kid because wrong soze for the season but most of it I do.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 6:29 pm
I'm giving away my son's clothing because I already have two girls after him BH. It's going to sit way too long in storage.

But the stretchies/ clothing up to size 6M, I'm only giving to close family and ask them to return it once they are done. As those are barely used and stay in great condition for a whilem

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 7:03 pm
My first two girls are 3 years apart, and I passed alot of clothes from my oldest to my next. But after that, my next DD is 7 years younger. I found that after a while, clothes go....the nap of the fabric wears out and loses its elasticity, stains can set in (yes, they can be oxy-treated but not always) and I'd rather someone else enjoy them than throw it in the garbage.
So after my 2nd DD I gave everything away, mostly to my sister whose DD is a little younger than mine. Often she gave gave me new clothes from her DD for my next one, so what goes round comes around.
With my youngest, I give just about everything to my SIL. She takes what she wants and has someone she passes on to.

fig

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:14 pm
There’s so many cheap clothing options around. Find someone who will take the clothing right away to use.
Will be a mitzvah. Will keep your house and mind clutter free and you won’t feel guilty buying fresh stuff for new baby….

newinbp  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:45 pm
I almost never accept items that need to be given back. It’s nerve racking to keep track of which clothing goes back to which person, being on top of it staying mint condition, etc
I feel like if you give it away, do so with a full heart and Bitachon that when you need something in the future Hashem will provide.

scrunchie

Post Today at 9:12 am
I think only really small sizes (up to 6 months about) are worth saving. Babies are indoors more and seasons don't matter as much so long sleeves can work for the babies even in summer time. after that I don't bother saving because kids grow fast so seasons need to be aligned with clothing and also I find that things discolor in storage as well-especially light colors. Give them to someone who will enjoy them now and I like to believe what goes around comes around!

amother
Snow  

Post Today at 9:13 am
I store everything and give away if I see I don't need it or want it.

newinbp

Post Today at 9:44 am
amother Snow wrote:
I store everything and give away if I see I don't need it or want it.

I’d love to hear how you organize it to store everything, like under bed storage or in a garage?

amother
  Snow

Post Today at 9:49 am
newinbp wrote:
I’d love to hear how you organize it to store everything, like under bed storage or in a garage?

I have a large storage room in my basement. When I lived in an apartment we also had a storage room with locked closets to keep things in. I put everything into labeled storage bins sometimes vacuum packed.

amother
Trillium

Post Today at 10:05 am
Storing never really worked for me. My first was a girl, I stored after her. Then I had a boy. Stored both until we moved and I didn't have a new baby yet and it was already 3 years later. My next was a girl born 4 years after my son. And my last was a girl born 6 years after that. BH for cheap clothing these days.

amother
Moonstone

Post Today at 10:10 am
I keep everything in good condition until size 2. I have one of each gender so I have like 4 big storage containers of clothes, pajamas, undershirts, blankets and coats.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Today at 10:26 am
My youngest is 10 and I stored everything from all of my five kids. I have four girls and a boy. However, styles changed so much. The only things that I found were really worthwhile saving for little is everything under a year because stretchies can go for both boys or girls.

Also, pajamas were really great to save because they never really go out of style and can be worn all year round most of the time.

Shabbos clothes changed so much that my what my oldest wore would never fit or be in style for my youngest. Skirts are worthwhile to save as well because everybody needs a plain black skirt. But even those styles change and I find that most of the things I have from my older girls my younger daughter won’t wear now.

my youngest is 10 everything that she grows out of I send to family in Israel.

I guess my final rule of thumb would be is if the clothing is really well-made and really good quality and is a classic piece ANd you think it could be worn for all of your kids hold onto it. If not move it along.

giftedmom

Post Today at 10:41 am
amother OP wrote:
The other thread got me thinking of this.

What clothing do you keep and what do you give away?

I have one almost 10 months old, and I can't get myself to give away his clothing. I'm thinking that I might have use for another child in the future.

I did give a few things to a family member, but they were very small so not something that gets ruined and she gave them back to me once her baby outgrew it

I only keep what I will 100% use in the next 2ish years. Baby clothes get awful stains in storage, especially white and light colors. Really a shame to have to throw out when someone can enjoy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics