Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Asking your assistant to get water
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:20 am
If you are a boss or a manager, regardless of the workplace being heimish or secular, formal or informal, I am wondering if there is ever a time you'd ask your assistant to stop her work to go to your office, take your water bottle/cup, fill it with ice and water and bring it back to you. Or if you'd ask her to get up from her office to bring you a hole puncher that is within even distance between both of your offices. Or get up and go to the fancy printer in the hallway which is closer to your office than it is to hers, to go get the color printed papers you sent there.... etc. you get the point.

If you would, why? If not, why?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Yesterday at 11:21 am
Um
No never

Ruchel

Post Yesterday at 11:22 am
Definitely heard of. Very annoying unless the pay is nice

amother
cornflower

Post Yesterday at 11:25 am
I am neither, but I can imagine asking it if I had a foot injury or other medical issue that made it difficult to get up.

Or, I suppose, if "fetch things for the boss" was in the job description.

amother
Dandelion

Post Yesterday at 11:27 am
Colored paper from the printer maybe
Filling up her water bottle? Never!

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:29 am
amother cornflower wrote:
I am neither, but I can imagine asking it if I had a foot injury or other medical issue that made it difficult to get up.

Or, I suppose, if "fetch things for the boss" was in the job description.

In this case, there are no issues that would prevent the boss from getting up, aside from just being very busy.

"Other duties as assigned" are of course part of this job description, but does that include stopping her workflow to get water?

In 1960, yes, male bosses had their female secretaries fetch water and coffee. In 2024, a female boss and a female assistant?

violet1

Post Yesterday at 11:34 am
Asking to get the water is a no.
But getting things from the printer I wouldn't be annoyed.
Boss could say "I'm printing out some things, could you grab them when they're finished and bring them to me please?"
As long as they are treating me with respect, I would think my job is to make assist them and make their work easier.

I can imagine for a boss to get up from their desk and and go to a common space could take more time than we realize.
Someone just wants to have a quick word, or ask a question and then it's hard to extricate yourself.

amother
Molasses  

Post Yesterday at 11:36 am
Sounds weird to me, however if the job description is personal secretary which includes making personal appointments, ordering lunch etc. then I’d think this makes somewhat sense.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:52 am
amother Molasses wrote:
Sounds weird to me, however if the job description is personal secretary which includes making personal appointments, ordering lunch etc. then I’d think this makes somewhat sense.

Job title is not personal assistant, it is program assistant. The job does not include personal tasks such as appointments, ordering personal lunch (lunches for meetings, yes. Lunches for boss, no).

amother
Birch

Post Yesterday at 12:04 pm
Things from the printer and supplies does feel like a normal request. Water does not.

amother
Daffodil

Post Yesterday at 12:16 pm
amother Birch wrote:
Things from the printer and supplies does feel like a normal request. Water does not.

Agree. I'm an assistant. I get stuff from the printer and bring supplies and stuff. I only bring my boss a cup of water if I want to be a good friend, never because she asked me for it. She would never do that.

amother
Wisteria

Post Yesterday at 12:23 pm
My boss is more like my friend so she'll ask me to refill her water bottle the same way I'd ask her to refill mine

teachkids

Post Yesterday at 1:07 pm
Only if they're on a zoom meeting and unable to interrupt

amother
Bellflower  

Post Yesterday at 1:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Job title is not personal assistant, it is program assistant. The job does not include personal tasks such as appointments, ordering personal lunch (lunches for meetings, yes. Lunches for boss, no).

If she is not a personal assistant you cannot ask for any personal tasks, ie water refills

I’m not sure about retrieving your paperwork either, unless that is her job as a program assistant

amother
Peru  

Post Yesterday at 1:17 pm
I've been an Executive Assistant at more than one company.
The job was doing whatever it took to make sure my boss can work more efficiently
It ranged from high level stuff to getting water or ordering lunch.
One boss didn't bother printing at all - they would just forward emails/documents "please print". Yes they had a printer right next to them on their desk.

I get/got paid well though

amother
Gold

Post Yesterday at 1:23 pm
As others have stated, only if she is actually a personal assistant and isn't tasked with her own independent job function.

Obviously people who report to you are responsible for helping you and others work efficiently

Most offices don't have personal assistants except possibly for the very highest level executives and then it is also a nod to their vanity. For example I worked at a place where the top women (pointing out that it isn't gender) had two assistants and they did stuff like ordering clothing for her children.

But most offices don't operate in that manner. In my experience there might be one departmental administrative assistant and it is appropriate to ask that person to perform tasks related to the job. This can even including getting stuff from the printer even when you print it yourself.

The only time asking for water or coffee would be appropriate is if you are in a meeting with others or on some kind of conference call and so it is not possible to leave your desk.

amother
Latte

Post Yesterday at 1:26 pm
If it's not in the job description and there isn't a clear reason for it (e.g. the boss is on a Zoom call and can't get up and mutes the mic for one second to ask) then it seems like a weird power move.

amother
  Bellflower  

Post Yesterday at 1:30 pm
amother Peru wrote:
I've been an Executive Assistant at more than one company.
The job was doing whatever it took to make sure my boss can work more efficiently
It ranged from high level stuff to getting water or ordering lunch.
One boss didn't bother printing at all - they would just forward emails/documents "please print". Yes they had a printer right next to them on their desk.

I get/got paid well though

Same, everything from booking travel to dry cleaning and even grocery shopping. But that was my job description, and I was my boss’s assistant

In OPs case the employee is not actually her assistant and therefore should not be asked to do any personal tasks or favors as it’s inappropriate

amother
  Bellflower  

Post Yesterday at 1:31 pm
amother OP wrote:

I’m curious why you asked if you seem to already know the answer. Also, your OP says your assistant but she isn’t your assistant

amother
Strawberry  

Post Yesterday at 1:43 pm
I’m one of those people that are running around the office like a chicken without a head doing too many things at once. My boss is always telling me to ask other people to do things for me instead of doing them myself because I get paid too much to be wasting time on things that can be done by others. I also have a very tight schedule and can’t physically be in the office for very many hours a day. Once I needed to leave for carpool and my boss begged me to allow someone else in the office to do it instead. My meetings are back to back and I need people to get me water, coffee, papers, set up the presentations etc. in between. So I don’t think it’s crazy although I do feel bad asking for things like that.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics