Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Career ideas for post sem girl hoping to make aliyah

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 9:40 am
(This is cross posted)

Ideas? Asking for post sem girl who has a vision to make aliyah one day. Speech, OT, PT are out. Coding/computer programming is out also.

Something that allows to have children but not many years of schooling. But helps to pay the bills and is satisfying.

Its not easy working and raising a family but the chances of marrying a wealthy or sole bread winner are slim.

She will do school in the states most likely and then make aliyah.

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 1:26 pm
Typically, tech roles can be remote and well-paying, especially in Israel. Cybersecurity, software developer, data analyst, etc.

If that's not her skillset, what about software product/project manager? Don't necc need to do coding but need to be able to work with projects and developers.

If the type to be go-getter and own boss, can do some type of freelancing so learn graphic design, web design, copywriting, or marketing, etc.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 11:46 pm
Teaching, in particular English as a foreign language.
Nursing. Pharmacy. Graphic design.

Elfrida  

Post Yesterday at 1:22 am
I think the first thing is to figure out what does interest her, and what field she would like to work in. So far you've just ruled out some of the more common options. Perhaps meeting with a career counsellor would be a good first step.

Once you've narrowed it down to a two or three options, research which of them would be most applicable to life in Israel.

Also look at whether there is any significant difference in the training and qualifications required to work in Israel as opposed to America. If there is, she might want to consider training in Israel.

amother
Catmint

Post Yesterday at 2:46 am
amother Wheat wrote:
Teaching, in particular English as a foreign language.
Nursing. Pharmacy. Graphic design.

Teaching English doesn't pay that well and it's only good if you want part time work
Nursing you'll have to take exams to transfer but it's an ok job if you don't mind shift work.
Pharmacy really easy to find a job but it's probably boring and you'll work with a lot of Arabs.

It really depends if she wants to earn average or well.
If she wants high paying need to go into tech. Technical writing, SEO, internet marketing, if you don't want software engineering,

amother
Sunflower

Post Yesterday at 2:53 am
Another idea adjacent to hi tech is hi tech sales. I just heard about this course that is subsudized for olim.
https://salesclass.co/

ora_43  

Post Yesterday at 3:09 am
Sorry OP but it's still a bit too vague.

Any job will help pay the bills. But there's a huge range in salary. There's also a big range in what individual people find satisfying.

Most jobs that exist in America (or wherever she's from) exist here too.

So my advice to her would be to ask herself the usual questions, same as if she was trying to pick a career outside of Israel. Does she like working with people? Working with her hands? In any past jobs, or at school, what are the things she's been drawn to? Eg is she always the one to volunteer to organize a party? Is she the one getting the practical stuff done behind the scenes? Is she always helping others with their homework?

What are the topics she finds interesting, the things she likes to do (eg organizing, writing, designing, teaching), the things she's good at?

Beyond that - start working on Hebrew! The sooner she starts, the easier her aliyah process will be iy"H.

ora_43  

Post Yesterday at 3:10 am
Also keep in mind that school in Israel is much cheaper than school in the states, and is subsidized for olim. I know there are a lot of things to consider so maybe it makes more sense for her to do school there. But do at least consider the option of doing it here.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Yesterday at 4:51 am
amother Catmint wrote:
Teaching English doesn't pay that well and it's only good if you want part time work

This is inaccurate. You can absolutely get full time work, you just need to be willing to work in more than one school and work out the schedule. It's also possible to work more than full time (which it totally doable because school "hours" are only 40-45 minutes each so 40 hours is not actually 40 clock hours).

You can check out the pay scale online and compare to other industries to see what salaries could be. There is a significant difference between elementary and high school.

ora_43  

Post Yesterday at 5:20 am
Teaching is a very popular career among religious women here (I think in the states as well?). The pay is pretty decent as you gain seniority, and the hours are great (summers and chagim off is huge).

But there's really a wide variety of jobs. Just among religious women I personally know there's social work, journalism, beauty care (waxing and nails), various therapies (speech, etc), administration, academia (professor), medicine (doctor, nurse, midwife, researcher), programming, teaching, daycare... there are really so many options.

Elfrida  

Post Yesterday at 5:43 am
ora_43 wrote:
Teaching is a very popular career among religious women here (I think in the states as well?). The pay is pretty decent as you gain seniority, and the hours are great (summers and chagim off is huge).

Summers, yes. But in Israel, everyone gets Yom Tov off.

lostmyoldSN

Post Yesterday at 5:50 am
Elfrida wrote:

But not erev and not CHM.

Elfrida

Post Yesterday at 6:23 am
lostmyoldSN wrote:
But not erev and not CHM.

Technically speaking, you're right. But in almost every work place its a half day, and it's very accepted to take off.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 6:31 am
What is the average pay for elementary age or even early childhood?

justforfun87

Post Yesterday at 7:02 am
Nursing is NOT the way to go. You have to jump major hoops to get license transfered and the pay is really horrible.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Yesterday at 8:16 am
I would really avoid anything within misrad hachinuch (teaching/special ed/ early childhood) - the pay is ok once you get senority, but it can take a while to get there, and the first 3 years the pay is pennies.

Are therapies really out? OT/ST are really ok pay when you work for the kuppa, and once you have some experience you can usually do private therapy and have people get reimbursed by the Kuppah partially - all the ST who can do hebrew and english have waiting lists out the door (bilingual kids often need extra help) and they charge 350 nis for 50 min sessions.

The other direction is something tech related, there are jobs and degrees like this one that help you get a management role in a tech company, instead of actual development.

Also any job that can be remote from the US means that she can make a US salary, with is worthwhile. So things like accounting, which can be done remote.

Nursing can be ok pay, if u don't mind hostpital shift work, when u work in the kuppah its really not great pay and there is even the machon tal program in english
https://www.jct.ac.il/internat.....omen/

ora_43

Post Yesterday at 8:32 am
Elfrida wrote:

True good point. I meant chol hamoed.

OddoneOut1

Post Yesterday at 9:29 am
I know multiple accountants working for US companies doing really well in Israel

LovesHashem

Post Yesterday at 10:10 am
justforfun87 wrote:
Nursing is NOT the way to go. You have to jump major hoops to get license transfered and the pay is really horrible.

Or she can learn here for free. Not sure why you think the pay is horrible. It's not amazing but it's a decent paying job.

banana123

Post Yesterday at 10:30 am
If she is serious about aliya, then I suggest doing her studies in Israel, for several reasons.

1. It will help her learn the language needed for her field, before she has the pressure of providing for her family.
2. Many credentials need to be re-evaluated/ recognized before the individual can practice their chosen profession in Israel. Studying in Israel solves this issue - she will have Israeli credentials to start with.
3. As someone else said, it is cheaper to study in Israel, and olim receive subsidies for their studies (but it has to be a recognized institution, of course).
4. If she is serious about aliya then it is likely easier to find a spouse who is on the same page if she makes aliya. If she stays home, she may find herself married to someone who doesn't want to make aliya, or who thought he did and changed his mind.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions