Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Do I just buy the acne products?
Previous  1  2

oneofakind

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 3:25 am
I'd try a few OTC products before going to a dermatologist. I took my DD to one and he wanted to prescribe oral antibiotics which I refused. He did prescribe a very expensive cream that helped.

imaima  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 3:26 am
amother OP wrote:
How do you suggest I offer to take her to a dermatologist?
Do the medications from the dermatologist actually work? IME they didn't.
Anyone know of a dermatologist in NY that takes fidelis and is sensitive to young girls?

You just tell her: you know, a doctor can recommend you specific skincare that works well. Let’s go ask the doctor instead of buying random stuff.

If it’s just blackheads, I don’t think they will put a 12 year old on meds.

Gosh one can never win with kids. Some kids complain that they are traumatized because their parents never helped them take care of pimples and they felt left alone and ugly.

Here is someone who complains that her mother did too much! Really.. if the products didn’t work, that’s probably the reason why she kept looking for new solutions? And you don’t know if you „grew out of it“ or something actually worked.

I just told my son that his face is a disaster and booked him a facial. He could also see it himself. The facial took care of whatever was going on at that moment and sold him some products. His pimples cleared up to 70% and that with just washing because he forgot other steps.
But you need a wash, an exfoliator/toner, and a moisturizer with spf.
Try to clear up her diet too.

imaima

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 3:29 am
amother Pansy wrote:
Exactly. It’s all baloney.
But following this thread, bec dd10 started with acne. I don’t want to repeat what my mom did to me, but of course if there actually IS a solution I’d love to know. Still dealing it with it myself…

Teach her proper skincare. It’s for life. I have enumerated the steps above. A cosmetologist or a doctor can tell whether their skin is sensitive or not to suggest something that will work without ruining.

Regular consistent skincare with cheap products that do no harm will help over something special and expensive but used inconsistently.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 3:36 am
Omg my mother also traumatized me about my acne!

She would actually make fun of my pimples, UUUGGHH, I hate to think about it.

And I had acne until my 30’s when I discovered an Rx for spirolactone, and BH since then it’s been 98% better!

Do you think a doctor would put a tween on Spirolactone?

DD12 is just starting to have a few small pimples over the recent months, and I have PTSD looking at them. My mother took me to the same dermatologist again and again, but his products did nothing.

OMG I am shaking thinking back to how she treated me about this, and I really would love to put DD on spirolactone but her acne is mild… unless you’re triggered and sitting very close to her, as I often do!

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 4:21 am
As a teen I was put on spironalactone for acne. (did not see a major difference actually)
Before that I was taking minocycline which seemed to help a lot. But then I got diagnosed with PCOS so the doctor put me on birth control, so I couldn't take the minocycline anymore, but once my hormones were regulated my acne cleared up majorly.
It wasn't perfect, I still had breakouts ALL. THE. TIME. but at least it was manageable.

I will echo the other posters who said that going to a dermatologist did not help. IIRC she recommended using products with benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, and moisturizer. She also was the one who gave scripts for minocycline/spironalactone. She also recommended to try Differin gel. (it's OTC now)

What actually really helped, was when I was engaged I went to a esthetician for a facial, and she recommended a skincare regimen based on my skin type. (she had actually touched my face vs the dermatologist who just looked) I don't recall exactly what she recommended but it was like magic!

The products I used were definitely pricey, but you can't put a price tag on confidence for a young teen. This was something I so struggled with, and I really felt ugly sometimes, when my acne was just out of control or I had huge unsightly pimples in the center of my face.

Bottom line, I don't know how much a dermatologist will really help. (Unless it's really severe or cystic and she wants to do Accutane) Rather take her to an esthetician for a facial and ask her which products she recommends. It's a much more pleasant experience!

essie14

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 5:16 am
The OTC stuff is a LOT of marketing. Combining a bunch of random OTC products can make acne worse.
If it's not cystic acne I would take her to a trusted esthetician and explain that you'd like to balance out the high end products with some budget products. Eg: a benzoyl peroxide cream doesn't need to cost $50. A good facial is a good start and then specific products to keep her skin clean.
My esthetician also will advise when a dermatologist is necessary and what prescriptions to ask for.
Skincare is so important for a teen's self esteem. If it seems out of your budget maybe she can work and help pay for some of it.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 6:25 am
I had acne until I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 16 and put on birth control pills. It’s been decades of clear glowing skin since then B”H. I believe in the prescription route.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 6:45 am
My mother had terrible cystic acne into her 20s, so she was relatively unconcerned by my typical teen acne, which was mild. I would have liked to treat it, but just used over the counter products. My own daughter had severe acne and for over 7 years I took her to various doctors at her request . She was hyper vigilant about skin care, but it didn’t help much. I also allowed her to buy expensive makeup and coverups. With the makeup on she looked and hopefully felt beautiful, but the acne was rough. We tried everything, but I would not agree to accutane because she had GI issues and I was afraid that it would exacerbate them. She eventually used spirolactone. I’m still not sure if avoiding accutane was the right decision. She’s an adult and still dealing with these issues, although having children has helped.

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 7:17 am
She definitely needs guidance.

I would suggest you learn about what you put into the body and what you put onto the body affects the skin.
If she has acne her body is telling you something is off. Applying topicals is a bandaid.
Give her the option to learn how to heal her body from the inside out.
Sounds like her liver is off and it'll lead to loads of issues down the road if not taken care of properly.

Throw the tomatoes. But our bodies are designed this way. We can heal them naturally if we tune in and listen to what their saying.
Good luck.

amother
Peru

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 7:50 am
amother Smokey wrote:
I had acne until I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 16 and put on birth control pills. It’s been decades of clear glowing skin since then B”H. I believe in the prescription route.

I would avoid hormonal bc for a teen unless it’s medically required. Many women experience a lot of side effects from it.

Raizle  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:00 am
amother OP wrote:
This is so triggering to me.
I would if she asked me to to but she hasn't.

I get it. I really do. I neglected to mix into certain issues with my kids because of the way I was raised and they later were upset with me for it.

You need to balance. Offer it to her but don't push it on her.
"Hey, you know like you asked me to get you (skin care product)? Well I was wondering if you'd be interested in going to the dermatologist to see what they recommend for your particular skin type"
That said, dermatologist aren't the be all and end all either.

synthy

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:24 am
In my experience, following a good skincare routine was way more effective than a dermatologist.
I went to 2 as a teen. One basically dismissed me and said to wash my face with dial soap.
The other gave me a medicated cream that cleared the acne but my face was pouring oil 24/7. And after a few weeks I developed nonstop stomach pains and didn’t put the two together until my pediatrician asked “any changes in medication?”

Also, I don’t believe in the “it comes from within”. I went to a natural health practitioner who stuffed me with idk what, probiotics maybe? I took 8 or 9 pills a day. It helped SOMEWHAT.

You know what did help? 50% skincare, 50% Not ovulating 😑. When I’m pregnant, nursing, or on BC + I don’t slack off on my skincare routine, my skin is beautiful.

amother
Oatmeal  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 9:10 am
Having acne as a teen can ruin your life, talking from experience. Take her to a dermatologist and to a good facial to remove the black heads and clear her up. Buy good products, paulas choice is an excellent company.
Don’t neglect the acne. Good luck

amother
  Oatmeal

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 9:11 am
amother OP wrote:
How do you suggest I offer to take her to a dermatologist?
Do the medications from the dermatologist actually work? IME they didn't.
Anyone know of a dermatologist in NY that takes fidelis and is sensitive to young girls?

Yes they do work. Have done wonders for my teens.

amother
Azalea

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 9:48 am
Why don’t you show her the Curology website.
I know LOTS of people who have used it and everyone I know had excellent results.

It’s super simple , will not be triggering for you because it is chilled in the comfort of your own home without needing to actually be seen or prodded. Your daughter might even find this fun and special. There is a quiz about the skin type etc and then you just submit quick photos . They mail this lovely kit with everything you need including a customized pharmaceutical formula .

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:21 pm
I teach skin care (and sell a great line).

The most important thing, is DON'T MIX BRANDS. Don't get a cleanser from this brand and a 5% Bp cream from this brand and an spf moisturizer from that brand. You want a line that is formulated to WORK TOGETHER.

Drug store stuff is mostly junk (you should NEVER use 10 percent benz. peroxide!) but you can get quality products for a great price elsewhere.

JUST consistent skin care isn't enough for all teens. I teach and sell skin care and my daughter (18) uses the appropriate line for her but still needed to add 3 prescriptions from the derm--- 2 topical, 1 pill (like a previous poster we just moved from minocycline to spirolactone).

Charcoal masking twice a week in addition to a GOOD skin care line formulated for acne prone teens would be my other addition to this convo.

hatzlacha!

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 9:13 pm
I had acne and my mother wasn't into trying to help me with it. So I just went into the pharmacy on the way home from school and bought stuff that said good for acne. I had no idea what I was doing and looking back, I definitely made it much worse by drying out my skin which put me into a cycle of more oily skin which caused more acne and on and on.
What I wish my mother would have done, was offer to take me to an esthetician. They can usually set you up with a good regimen for your skin type. I had no idea such a concept existed so I didn't even know to ask. I think it would be a good option for your daughter.
You can say, "I see you added some skincare products to the Amazon cart. Instead of just buying random stuff from Amazon, would you like me to take you to a lady who can give your products that are best for your skin type?"

Raizle

Post Yesterday at 7:35 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
I had acne and my mother wasn't into trying to help me with it. So I just went into the pharmacy on the way home from school and bought stuff that said good for acne. I had no idea what I was doing and looking back, I definitely made it much worse by drying out my skin which put me into a cycle of more oily skin which caused more acne and on and on.
What I wish my mother would have done, was offer to take me to an esthetician. They can usually set you up with a good regimen for your skin type. I had no idea such a concept existed so I didn't even know to ask. I think it would be a good option for your daughter.
You can say, "I see you added some skincare products to the Amazon cart. Instead of just buying random stuff from Amazon, would you like me to take you to a lady who can give your products that are best for your skin type?"

Maybe your mother didn't know it existed either.
I don't know what it is

amother
Foxglove

Post Yesterday at 12:44 pm
Gosh, I have the opposite situation with my daughter then some of you had with your mothers. She gets cystic acne. She's able to keep it mostly under control by not eating gluten but whenever she eats out no matter how much she tries to avoid and people tell her things are gluten free, she almost always breaks it after that. (People really need to be better educated about food intolerances. You don't have to cater for every tolerance but if you are going to claim something is gf, or if you offer the person to list their intolerance then you really need to know more about what you put in your food. For some it can be dangerous.) Then it's a constant whine, look at my face, how bad is this? Do I look ugly? Did I cover it up well? She's actually beautiful but I think there is a mild dysmorphia there in which she feels her whole face is a distorted by even a few cysts. So she'll harass me about it and I'll tell her I wouldn't notice if you didn't point it out and she tries to convince me how ugly she looks. It causes me so much stress. She obsessed over it .
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children