Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Butternut squash soup

NotFunny  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:59 pm
Any quick and easy recipe you can share!
Tia!

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:07 pm
NotFunny wrote:
Any quick and easy recipe you can share!
Tia!

Sauté an onion-you can skip if you want
Add
2 bags frozen butternut squash from aldi
1 bag frozen sweet potato bag from aldi
Water to cover
About 1T salt?
After cooking, Blend

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:16 pm
Saute onion till golden
Add garlic, a bag of carrots chopped, a bag frozen butternut squash, a bag frozen sweet potato, 1 green squash chopped. Saute the vegetables till soft, then add salt n pepper, & about 12 cups water. Cook for a couple of hours & blend.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 6:19 pm
Butternut Squash Soup

3 lbs butternut squash
2 tbsp olive oil
2 extra large onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
black pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to 375. Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and bake cut-side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until tender. Scoop out the pulp into a bowl and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add onions and saute until lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Puree until smooth.

NotFunny

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:17 pm
Thanks for all these recipes! Will see tomorrow what other ingredients I have as to which we’ll try Smile

seeker  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 11:35 pm
Just wanted to say I'm usually on the frugal side but one time frozen cubed butternut squash was on sale and when I saw how much time and energy it saved there was no going back. I don't make it that often (didn't anyway because of the effort) and considering there's no peel, stem, or inside to not use, I don't think it's actually that much more expensive than the equivalent plain squash.

For recipe I usually improvise. Sautee a bunch of onion and garlic. Add squash and a couple of carrots. Sizzle/stir a couple of minutes. Add enough water to cover the solids, maybe sprinkle some garlic and onion powder, add salt and a small amount of pepper. Simmer until everything is soft. Blend or food process (sometimes I stop before it's fully smooth for a little texture). Taste and add salt and pepper until it's perfect. Serve with croutons.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 11:36 pm
If you happen to have some celery, throw some in too. It adds a nice flavor to almost any soup.

Brit in Israel

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 11:42 pm
Butternut squash
3 sweet potato
2-3 Carrots
1 Onion
1 potato
Cube all
Boil with water, salt, pepper
Blend.

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 6:47 am
I usually bake the butternut squash first, so it’s soft and easy to scoop out. Cut off the top and the bottom so the squash has two flat surfaces. Stand it upright and slice it lengthwise down the middle, using a large knife to sort of saw back-and-forth. Put halved squash in the oven skin side up at 375 for a couple hours until it is soft. Take it out, remove the seeds, scoop out the flesh and put the flesh into a pot with sautéed onion, carrots, garlic, whatever other vegetables you want, tomatoes, celery, sweet potato, etc. Add water and bring to a boil, simmer for at least an hour to an hour and a half. Blend and add salt, pepper, a little soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, dill, any other spices you like.

And bonus seed snack recipe: you can clean off the seeds and roast them for a few minutes until they are dry, take them out and add a little olive oil, salt, garlic, whatever other spices you want, put them back in the oven for 10 minutes, stirring a few times. Take them out when they start to turn golden, before they burn. They come out crunchy and filling, and really good as a snack!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics