Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do You Look Forward To Shabbos? Why/Why not?
1  2  Next

Cheiny

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 12:19 am
I enjoy the rest, the uninterrupted family time, and change from the fast paced weekdays, but it can pose some challenges when Shabbos ends late during the summer months…

Reality

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 1:22 am
I love shabbos! I can't think of one thing about shabbos I don't like!

The work before shabbos is another story, lol!

Molly Weasley

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 1:22 am
Yes. We really love love live shabbos in the Weasley family.

It's the highlight of the week!!

Magnolia72

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 1:32 am
The disconnect from work, responsibility

effess

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 2:25 am
I love Shabbos!
After I light the candies I say good Shabbos yo my family and then let out a long breath and say I love Shabbos! I can’t imagine life without it. I depend on Shabbos.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 4:41 am
I love sitting on the couch all shabbos afternoon reading but other that I do not like shabbos.

thegiver  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 4:52 am
Yes feel hashem more
Stop cleaning all the time
And get to read lots of Torah that I enjoy
Moment shabbos enters serenity enters otherwise it’s go go go all the time.

Challenge for me is keeping small children entertained

amother
DarkRed

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 4:53 am
I love that you are actually forbidden from planning weekday things and worrying. It is like an island in time. You can stop thinking for 25 hours about what you'll say to your boss during that meeting next week, or how you'll manage all the things you need to do on Tuesday.
The tricky part is integrating our children into the Shabbat atmosphere. 2 of them have ADHD and it is a new challenge every week to conduct normal Shabbat meals and get in a bit of divrei Torah, too.

thegiver

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 4:55 am
Maybe buy special shabbos books and games to help the day pass smoother. I find planning playdates for kids helps me taking a long leisurely walk and also singing to pass the time—so fun! I hop around and visit friends without planning ahead of time. Practically only time during the week when ppl have time for one another.

amother
Heather  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 6:17 am
No.

Combination of bad shalom bayis and kids with ASD and other difficulties.

No, scratch that, it really is only from my husband.

He was away for majority of the week and it was so nice.

He has no job, no motivation and no drive.
He has horrible language, rude words, ways to put me and the kidd down and stays in bed a lot.
He is unpredictable, angry and moody but can be the most charming and helpful to other people.
He looks for ways to get out of the house.

It literally is like a marriage of convenience for him.

And yes I refuse relations.
Zero shame there.

Sorry I know this was not meant to vent but I really dont look forward to it.
Just means even more time with him in the house.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 6:22 am
I love having a forced break from technology. I love the guilt-free reading time and the general sense of relaxation.

What I don't love is how it highlights my inability to run the house properly. During the week I see the cobwebs and dirt and because I'm busy I don't deal with it now. On Shabbos I have to stare it in the face and I can't do anything about it. During the week I do shortcut meals last minute, on Shabbos it has to all be prepared in advance. I rarely manage to get the kids bathed before candle lighting.

It's also been really lonely lately. I wish we had guests and am relieved I don't at the same time. I love their company but it's hard not to feel embarrassed about my housekeeping.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 6:24 am
I love everything about Shabbos I look forward to it all week.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 6:43 am
Love love love Shabbos!!!!

As I read the posts above I can tell you that my life isn’t perfect. Lots of financial stress and I have SIF and a much smaller family than I anticipated, but B”H I have wonderful SB and easy kids. I love my family and do not need personal space or distractions from them. Shabbos is a vacation from my week and all my stress.
Can’t wait for all the 3 day YTs coming up!!!!

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 7:02 am
Of course I love Shabbos! It's such a holy time. As our family sits around the Shabbos table, we sing zemiros and you can just feel Hashem there. Yes, the kids fight most of the seuda. Yes, we are loud and messy. Yes, it's a lot of work. But it's a day to recharge our batteries, read, nap and just feel the kedusha.

Beingreal

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 7:14 am
I love Shabbos because ot makes me relaxed and I get to hear more about my kids in school. We get to play games and I go to shul.

amother
Buttercup  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 7:57 am
BH the vast majority look forward to shabbos, besides for one who's dealing with a separate unrelated issue Sad

Based on your question, I was worried there will be more people that don't like Shabbos ח"ו

kenz

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 8:02 am
I don’t know how anyone lives without Shabbos. If things are challenging because of circumstances that can somehow be adjusted to make things easier, please try! There’s nothing like knowing that Shabbos is finally here after a long week of running around and responsibilities.

amother
Eggshell  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 8:08 am
amother Heather wrote:
No.

Combination of bad shalom bayis and kids with ASD and other difficulties.

No, scratch that, it really is only from my husband.

He was away for majority of the week and it was so nice.

He has no job, no motivation and no drive.
He has horrible language, rude words, ways to put me and the kidd down and stays in bed a lot.
He is unpredictable, angry and moody but can be the most charming and helpful to other people.
He looks for ways to get out of the house.

It literally is like a marriage of convenience for him.

And yes I refuse relations.
Zero shame there.

Sorry I know this was not meant to vent but I really dont look forward to it.
Just means even more time with him in the house.

I also have bad shalom bayis and a kid with ASD. In my case, it's dh who refuses relations, and if anybody would hear how disgustingly he talks to me, they would be shocked.
I love shabbos anyway even though dh is impossible. During the week, he's on his phone so he doesn't bother me much. On Shabbos, whenever he starts saying something I don't want to hear, I start reading aloud. It drives him crazy since he has no interest in reading and shuts him up. I like shabbos because I have lots of reading time, good food, and a relaxed pace.

amother
  Heather  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 8:48 am
amother Eggshell wrote:
I also have bad shalom bayis and a kid with ASD. In my case, it's dh who refuses relations, and if anybody would hear how disgustingly he talks to me, they would be shocked.
I love shabbos anyway even though dh is impossible. During the week, he's on his phone so he doesn't bother me much. On Shabbos, whenever he starts saying something I don't want to hear, I start reading aloud. It drives him crazy since he has no interest in reading and shuts him up. I like shabbos because I have lots of reading time, good food, and a relaxed pace.

Youre clever!

Does your husband work?

My husband is involved in every single thing that happens at home.

Its like I have no power over my kids cos hes always around.

Is it normal to find it easier when hes away?
That way there was no arguing and only on parent and one decision for kids to listen to.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 9:05 am
More than I love Shabbos itself, I love coming home from work on Thursday afternoon knowing that Shabbos is just around the corner.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note