Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Advanced math

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 10:37 pm
What really is the point of advanced math?
Basic math, including fractions I totally get the point. But when you start needing a scientific calculator.. I’m not sure why it’s really needed. If you need higher math for you future job, you’ll learn it in college when getting your degree. What am I missing?

Cheiny

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 10:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
What really is the point of advanced math?
Basic math, including fractions I totally get the point. But when you start needing a scientific calculator.. I’m not sure why it’s really needed. If you need higher math for you future job, you’ll learn it in college when getting your degree. What am I missing?

I totally agree with you. I was just discussing this with someone recently… it’s pointless IMHO for anyone not requiring it for their very specific career…

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 11:56 pm
I think to an extent, the brain exercise is very healthy. But even with that, I think there are parts of the basic curriculum that go overboard.

I just had to help an 8th grader with homework that required figuring out if numbers are rational or irrational (not just obvious ones) and felt like I wasted my time. There were other parts of that lesson that also seemed needlessly intricate. And this was the basic 8th grade textbook, not an honors class or anything.

I'm on board with normal algebra and geometry though.

camp123

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 12:02 am
Math is a set of skills that need to be built on, for many people you wouldn't be able to just start doing it at college if you hadn't built the foundations. Additionally, the country and person wouldn't be able to identify who was good at math if you weren't taught it at high school. The consequences of that would be astronomical bc math is the basis for so many things that are essential. Banking and finance, high tech, engineering.
There is a benefit to the experience of logical thinking that math give you and it probably helps expand brain function. All in all there are some students that maybe shouldn't do it at a high level bc they can't but there is a reason why every single country in the world emphasis math education.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics