Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cholov Yisroel lactaid?

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 9:01 pm
Is there such thing as cholov yisroel lactaid milk? Or are there kosher drops to put in milk that actually work? The chewables/ pills don’t work for us But lactaid milk did. However, we’d prefer not having the separate cholov stam milk just for 1 person, and won’t use cholov stam for everyone else.

amother
Mint  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 9:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is there such thing as cholov yisroel lactaid milk? Or are there kosher drops to put in milk that actually work? The chewables/ pills don’t work for us But lactaid milk did. However, we’d prefer not having the separate cholov stam milk just for 1 person, and won’t use cholov stam for everyone else.

Where do you live? I know Pride of the Farm (supplies Baltimore primarily) has made that...

amother
Maroon  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 9:40 pm
amother Mint wrote:
Where do you live? I know Pride of the Farm (supplies Baltimore primarily) has made that...

Pride of the farm doesn’t make lactose free milk anymore. I wish they would make it again! I also wonder why there isn’t CY lactose free yogurt and cheeses.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 12:58 am
amother Mint wrote:

I’m in NJ and would drive to any nj grocery that has it

amother
  Maroon

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 1:07 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m in NJ and would drive to any nj grocery that has it

It doesn’t exist.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 1:54 am
I use the non chalav Yisroel lactaid milk and the rest of my family doesn't since we really are careful with chalav Yisroel. (For medical reasons I need this milk.)
The good thing about it is it's nothing like chalav Yisroel milk! It usually expires around 2 months later and can stay open a week before it goes bad. So I stock up with a few at once and they last a loooong time. My favorite and the cheapest is the Aldi brand.
My kids know they are not allowed to drink that milk and that's that.

amother
  Mint

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 9:49 am
amother Maroon wrote:
Pride of the farm doesn’t make lactose free milk anymore. I wish they would make it again! I also wonder why there isn’t CY lactose free yogurt and cheeses.

I was afraid of that, hence my use of the past tense.

I'm guessing there's not a large enough consumer base for CY lactose-free who wouldn't just get pareve alternatives... 🫤

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 10:40 am
Two of my kids are lactose intolerant. Unfortunately, there is no CY milk option. A few pointers from experience though:

1. For the pills, we find that the chewables never work, even Lactaid brand. The pills you swallow are much more effective. Some brands also work better than others, so keep trying. Also, depending on the food, many times you have to use more than one pill at a time. A slice of pizza = 3 pills and it works great. 1 or 2 pills would be ineffective, but of course that depends on the person.

2. Someone mentioned yogurt and I wanted to point out that for many lactose intolerant people, yogurt is not an issue (unlike milk, cheese, butter, chocolate etc.). Greek yogurt in particular is tolerated very well because during production much of the lactose is removed and the probiotics help digest what is left.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 8:21 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Two of my kids are lactose intolerant. Unfortunately, there is no CY milk option. A few pointers from experience though:

1. For the pills, we find that the chewables never work, even Lactaid brand. The pills you swallow are much more effective. Some brands also work better than others, so keep trying. Also, depending on the food, many times you have to use more than one pill at a time. A slice of pizza = 3 pills and it works great. 1 or 2 pills would be ineffective, but of course that depends on the person.

2. Someone mentioned yogurt and I wanted to point out that for many lactose intolerant people, yogurt is not an issue (unlike milk, cheese, butter, chocolate etc.). Greek yogurt in particular is tolerated very well because during production much of the lactose is removed and the probiotics help digest what is left.

1) good to know. My child isn’t quite able to swallow those huge pills though, so we’re stuck.

2) she’s fine with cheese, but very much not yogurt. I wonder about Greek yogurt, but she doesn’t like Greek yogurt.

If I need to buy another milk for her I guess I will, but I also have some dairy free, so we already always have 2 different milks in the fridge (and lactose intolerant child won’t drink soy milk , we tried).

saralem

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 8:33 pm
Oat milk is better tasting and more like milk, IMHO. Much better than soy. Maybe your child will like that as an alternative.

amother
Bluebell  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 8:34 pm
Do you mean lactose free milk? I have gotten in Brooklyn in Goldberg’s. Could be moishas has also but I don’t remember. It is in the freezer section

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 8:38 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
Do you mean lactose free milk? I have gotten in Brooklyn in Goldberg’s. Could be moishas has also but I don’t remember. It is in the freezer section

What brand is it?

amother
  Bluebell

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 8:44 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
What brand is it?

I think golden flow. Haven’t gotten in a couple of years though. I would call the store and ask

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 9:45 pm
saralem wrote:
Oat milk is better tasting and more like milk, IMHO. Much better than soy. Maybe your child will like that as an alternative.

Hmm. I have a box my husband bought by accident. I’ll try offering it to her. (Although that’s still the 3 different milks in the fridge problem because I’m willing to switch to CY lactaid in my coffee, but I ain’t going dairy free again- it was bad enough doing it while nursing)

amother
Waterlily

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 10:01 pm
I'm not so familiar with lactose intolerance or lactase, but there are so many brands out there. Can you open a capsule into applesauce? Like this https://enzymedica.com/product.....11149

What about goats milk?
Or A2 milk?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 10:07 pm
amother Waterlily wrote:
I'm not so familiar with lactose intolerance or lactase, but there are so many brands out there. Can you open a capsule into applesauce? Like this https://enzymedica.com/product.....11149

What about goats milk?
Or A2 milk?

I was thinking about the A2A2, I don’t know if everyone can tolerate it, and it’s crazy expensive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen