6%  [ 2 ]
State  
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

amother
  Camellia

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 6:09 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I live out of town where no one cares about brands but I let my girls pick a new backpack for high school that is more high end than we get for elementary, expecting it to last all 4 years.

My 11th grader has a Herschel that is still in mint condition, this is her third year using it. The size was exactly what she wanted. Her only complaint is the brand name tag on the outside, but it met all her criteria and I wanted to just buy one for high school that would last. I believe it has a lifetime guarantee and it's very classic looking.

My 9th grader really, really wanted a Kipling. Here's it's not considered babyish! I thought it would be too small but she actually fits everything she needs in it and it's just a small appearance (seforim, notebooks, etc... She doesn't have binders.) Since she's only been using it for a little over a week, I can't speak to durability yet!

Kipling comes in a few sizes. The one I have is huge fits 2 binders and a bunch of sefarim.

amother
Chocolate  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 6:10 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
Thanking Hashem that I live in an out of town neighborhood that backpack brands aren’t a thing.

Okay but this doesn't come in to OP's question.

amother
  Chocolate

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 6:11 am
Light + nine & State are not for older kids.
Kipling & Herschel are timeless classics. Lululemon may go out of style fast.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 6:16 am
amother Camellia wrote:
Kipling comes in a few sizes. The one I have is huge fits 2 binders and a bunch of sefarim.

It's very possible hers would fit binders; I just can't speak from experience since she doesn't use them 😉

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 6:23 am
I have Hershel and Kipling and would get the Kipling again. Just bought my 6th grader one and told her it’s for the rest of elementary school. They wash amazing. Just get a more mature color like black, navy, grey.. macys has them on sale

amother
  Seagreen

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 6:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Anybody had a Heschel and a Kipling and can comment on which one lasted longer? both in durability and in style...

My girls have had both. Looks like the Herschel is holding up better

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 6:34 am
Dd in seventh grade got a Herschel.

amother
  Coffee

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 6:39 am
The Kipling I got has been going strong for 2 years the city backpack is more mature looking a binder doesn’t fit in it though but my dd carries it or leaves at school

amother
Antiquewhite  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 7:48 am
Knapsacks matter where I live, but up until now, my daughters have always had jansport or landsend or whatever knapsacks I found on sale but were good quality. My daughter was begging for a kipling for a few years, finally in 6th grade, I caved and bought her a herschel that was on sale. It lasted the whole 6th grade and is still going strong for the beginning of 7th grade. I think I see the kiplings for the younger grades. I personally don't love the herschel model that I bought because it doesn't have water bottle holders on the sides and doesn't have a nice sized pocket for snacks - basically one big open pocket for everything.
Not to derail the thread too much, but has anyone thrown the herschel in the washing machine and how did it come out?

readreread

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 8:59 am
Jansport really is the best.

But if she wants something trendy, Herschel or FjallRaven.

amother
Heather

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 9:55 am
I got a Herschel on sale

amother
  Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 10:33 am
Nordstrom Rack has some Herschels on sale for as low as $32

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 10:47 am
I have had the Herschels and Kiplings for a few kids for a few years - Kiplings after using for over 3 yrs is PERFECT! Hershel after year 2 is in great condition but not the same as kipling. Tehy have small holes at the seems...
Also Kipling washes WAY better!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children