Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What exciting thing helps 2 year olds not cry first day
Previous  1  2  3

amother
  Cyan

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 5:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow how kind of you. You dont know me or my ability to love and nurture children.
And no I don't run my own playgroup.

I don't doubt for a moment that you are loving and nurturing! I'm sure you are a wonderful mother and Morah. But the questions you are asking do leave me concerned that you aren't ready for this specific position.
Obviously now it's too late but I hope there are people you can call irl who can help you navigate these questions since it's extremely important to have this worked out before the start of the year

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:03 pm
Omg wow the judgement.. I didnt specify all the details but in case you all needed to know....1) ive been a preschool teacher for decades. A highly saught after one. Parents begging to have their kids in my class..I just havent ever done 2 year olds..they are a different category.
2) this isnt my playgroup. Its someone elses and her mom passed away a few days before playgroup started. She asked me to step in and sub for her for a few weeks. And no im not texting her while she sits shiva to ask her about schedules and nap time..
Now that weve established that no im not a disorganized person...
Can anyone actually HELP?
stop with the judgment and simply help me fill in..
Looking for 2 year old friendly activities. Basic scheduling..

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:06 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
Schedule and activities:
In the beginning the schedule is approximate and flexible until everyone's used to it.
Write in the basics: morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and naptime.
Fill in activities: I aim for one sensory activity, one outside playtime period, one quick arts and crafts project, daily. Free play by drop-off and before pickup. We don't always have time for everything and that's ok. A calm relaxing activity should be scheduled after a more energetic one.

For naptime I'd offer a book to each child to keep them on their mats initially. Put on a sound machine or soft music.

Thank you for actually helping. And your ideas..
What kind of sensory activities are good for when 2 kids are crying so you need to hold them and calm them and cant be hands on with the rest of them? Meaning something I can set up and supervise while also holding 2 kids on my lap..
Paint is out...playdough?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:26 pm
OP ignore the mean comments. Even if you had a tentative schedule I totally understand you asking around to hear others schedules and ideas. Its always good to speak to others to share ideas. Heres a sample schedule-not sure how many hours so not going to include timings: First 45 min-hour is playtime (or shorter if they're getting antsy) cleanup, davening, snack time, circle time, project/activity, outdoor play, lunch, naptime, music and exercise, table toys (playdough etc or more playtime, cleanup snack time and dismissal (can read book while waiting to be picked up.
Best of luck!

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:00 pm
I know you didn't have to but I'm so glad you shared the full story. It taught me an important lesson of being DLZ. you really never know the full story....
Sample schedule:
Free play
Breakfast
Clean up
Davening
Circle Time
Arts in crafts
Lunch
Nap time
Outdoor play
Playdough/small activity
Snack
Pick up

Lots of luck

amother
  Chocolate

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for actually helping. And your ideas..
What kind of sensory activities are good for when 2 kids are crying so you need to hold them and calm them and cant be hands on with the rest of them? Meaning something I can set up and supervise while also holding 2 kids on my lap..
Paint is out...playdough?

There's nothing wrong with asking for help and ideas.
I do playdough about twice a week. It's an easy one. Kinetic sand, or any mix of materials like beans with scoopers, rice, noodles, etc.- these are messier and I wouldn't do yet until I've trained them in to using it properly. Ice cubes can be super fun to play with on a hot day.
Not sensory activities I would do to keep kids interested and happy: dot paint, read a storybook, make a puppet or paper plate smiley face. Anything silly to distract them.
String cheerios on a pipe cleaner (fold under pointy edges) or lanyard, make a sticker collage from many types of stickers, or parachute games, a ball pit, for a more high energy activity.
Often I hand out an easy snack kids love like a string cheese, a raisin box, mini juice box, and it gets them to sit down and be settled.
Think what you want to teach them this week, what they'll be bringing home on Friday. Is it shapes, colors, numbers, changing seasons, alef beis, rosh hashana, family unit. What can you do to engage them? To pique their interest? This is how you keep them calm and happy.
Really anything can be interesting to them as long as you show it to them as the most exciting and silliest thing in the world.

Magnolia72

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:15 pm
Candy, hype the car ride there
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics