Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My son fell asleep crying

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:54 pm
And now I'm crying.
He's starting school tomorrow, and is most likely nervous. He generally goes to bed nicely, but tonight he kept on asking me to come sit with him, hold him, sing to him.... I left his room and he started crying & screaming that he's scared. I went to sit with him some more & he said he's scared when the light is off. (He has a nightlight on, this has never been an issue.) I think he may just be nervous to start a new class. I sat with him some more & told him that I need to go to the bathroom & will come check on him soon. I left the room, he cried for a bit & fell asleep. Now I feel terrible that he fell asleep crying! Why do I feel so guilty?? As if I did something wrong? I keep on going to him to stroke his cheek....

abound

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:23 pm
How old is he?

oneofakind

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:35 pm
If he fell asleep, he's exhausted already. How about actually talking about the things he's nervous about instead of the dark etc

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:36 pm
abound wrote:
How old is he?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:38 pm
oneofakind wrote:
If he fell asleep, he's exhausted already. How about actually talking about the things he's nervous about instead of the dark etc

I don't know if he's actually nervous about starting a new class, he was actually very excited all day. He said that he's afraid when the light is off, I didn't bring it up. I'm just speculating that he may be nervous for school, but he may also not be nervous. Maybe he just didn't want to go to sleep.

Molly Weasley

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't know if he's actually nervous about starting a new class, he was actually very excited all day. He said that he's afraid when the light is off, I didn't bring it up. I'm just speculating that he may be nervous for school, but he may also not be nervous. Maybe he just didn't want to go to sleep.

Has he been at home until now? Does he have any reference for what school is, such as day camp or another type of group setting? You might be able to use one of those experiences to help prepare him for school. He will be starting Pre-1A or first grade, which isn't very structured yet.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:00 pm
Molly Weasley wrote:
Has he been at home until now? Does he have any reference for what school is, such as day camp or another type of group setting? You might be able to use one of those experiences to help prepare him for school. He will be starting Pre-1A or first grade, which isn't very structured yet.

He's in school for the past 2 years already, he just had a week off between daycamp and school starting. I don't know if he's nervous, I'm just speculating. He was very excited today, he asked about what he'll learn this year & he was excited to hear that he'll learn how to read ih.
Perhaps he just didn't want to go to sleep.

Raizle

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:04 pm
Its ok. Crying can be a healthy outlet sometimes. Even for adults.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:52 pm
I think that you live and learn and next time I wouldn’t let him cry to sleep.

michimochi

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:59 pm
It's ok - he fell asleep crying while you were in the bathroom but you were there for him. It would be different if you did not go sit with him etc and he fell asleep crying. He was probably just too tired to wait for you. He knows you wete going to come back and be with him. Maybe tomorrow before bedtime ask why he thinks he was feeling scared the night before?

giftedmom

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:07 pm
You’re a great mom. He will be fine.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 2:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
And now I'm crying.
He's starting school tomorrow, and is most likely nervous. He generally goes to bed nicely, but tonight he kept on asking me to come sit with him, hold him, sing to him.... I left his room and he started crying & screaming that he's scared. I went to sit with him some more & he said he's scared when the light is off. (He has a nightlight on, this has never been an issue.) I think he may just be nervous to start a new class. I sat with him some more & told him that I need to go to the bathroom & will come check on him soon. I left the room, he cried for a bit & fell asleep. Now I feel terrible that he fell asleep crying! Why do I feel so guilty?? As if I did something wrong? I keep on going to him to stroke his cheek....

Because we wish we could make a perfect world for our kids. DId something happen to scare him? Did someone tease him about school starting and it being hard?
We all sometimes fall asleep crying and all we want is someone to be there for us, You were the greatest Mommy a boy could have.
Your leaving the room - wasnt a bad thing. YOu were telling him that you had confidence in his ability to be alone and you werent far away.

After school tomorrow have planned some one on one time with him.
Things will get better Be"H-m
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics