Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Extremely picky 2yo

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 4:33 am
My 2yo is a very picky eater and will not try new foods. Even from his "safe" foods, he will often refuse to eat despite being hungry, only wanting one particular thing or only wanting snack. Sometimes I can get him to eat more by making it more entertaining, like using a straw to drink a yogurt or giving him the cover of the foods container to open and close it in between bites. He is also very particular that the food is in exactly the form he used to - even just making a shape (plain) pasta means he might not eat it. Meal times are so exhausting with him saying no to almost everything I offer and I am at a bit of a loss at this point of what I can do to make it better - it seems to only be getting worse.

Looking for real-life tips that worked for your very picky eaters. Yes, I know I have to keep exposing him and eventually eventually maybe he will be interested. But as of now that is not working for us. The one idea that I am holding out some hope for is finding out what the other kids eat while he is at playgroup and trying to send those things for lunch, maybe he will try them there. But at home he refuses to try the things we are eating (or even tolerate my putting them on his tray) so we are stuck in the same 5 foods for all of his meals.

mamalooo

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 6:19 am
there are few things that helps my picky eaters one of them is that if I see they are not interested in what I made before I offer them anything else and while they are still hungry Ill sit down with a plate for myself and they seem to always want my food!
it also really helps to get some cute divided plates and have him choose what to put in some of them
then just leave it to him...
also of course any pressure to try new things is not helpful sometimes I just put food down and kinda look away so as not to make a big deal - never say seee I knew you would like it !!!
and cooking the meal together and getting him to make /help can also help you can even say this is "shmuels" special chicken etc.
but honestly I feel like if you have enough variety around in the home for others and take the pressure off the stage will pass...

renslet

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 6:37 am
If your child is only eating five foods, I think it's time to go for professional help.
I used the solid starts website, they have tons of tips and ideas for toddlers.
Making games,funny utensils, a different location, counting, making noises (crunch) with the food.
Check out the toddler part of their website

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:12 am
What are his 5 safe foods? Is he otherwise typically developing? Other signs of anxiety or ocd including rigidity and a lot of meltdowns?

Have him evaluated by a myofunctional therapist to look for oral restrictions, oral motor delays or other structural issues that may be a factor here.

Holistic mother on Instagram is always posting testimonials on how a humic fulvic supplement really helps kids expand their palettes.

Zinc and Thiamine are super important for appetite regulation also.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:26 am
Have him evaluated by a feeding therapist

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 12:20 am
Thanks so much for the responses. I'll try these ideas and check out solid starts.

His safe foods are cottage cheese, yogurt, pasta, cheese, applesauce, and cereal. There are more things he eats, mostly snacks but some are nutritious like apples, raisins, randomly he'll eat another fruit for a day or 2. He's not an anxious/rigid kid in general, typical amount of meltdowns for a 2 year old Smile Zinc and thiamine - Are those things they make in drops to give to kids?

Is myofunctional therapist the same as feeding therapist? Or which one makes more sense to try first if I want to go for help?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics