Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Listening skills

thegiver  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 10:17 pm
Besides for reading to dc how can I help him improve his listening skills (and how can I improve mine?? I’m a horrible listener even if someone is looking at me straight in the face and speaking directly to me. My mind is in a 1000 places at once. How do I let go of everything I want to think about and become an empty vessel to listen to someone else’s thoughts?)

Last year we had a problem with staying quiet in class sometimes and I think it’s a listening issue. His hearing is fine.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 4:13 am
thegiver wrote:
Besides for reading to dc how can I help him improve his listening skills (and how can I improve mine?? I’m a horrible listener even if someone is looking at me straight in the face and speaking directly to me. My mind is in a 1000 places at once. How do I let go of everything I want to think about and become an empty vessel to listen to someone else’s thoughts?)

Last year we had a problem with staying quiet in class sometimes and I think it’s a listening issue. His hearing is fine.

You can keep starting new threads with one symptom on each thread but like another poster wrote on your other thread:

Turning a blind eye and not getting him evaluated is not doing them any favors.

It's ok for a child to need help.

amother
Pansy  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 4:49 am
It sounds like an attentional issue, both for you and him. Best bet is a professional evaluation.

Small chance it's a language or auditory processing, so if you want to start there you can, but sounds less likely in this case.

thegiver  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 2:20 pm
You guys are so funny. I need to change my username.

thegiver  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 2:20 pm
It’s really hard for me to listen to what you’re saying lol

amother
  Pansy  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 2:25 pm
thegiver wrote:
It’s really hard for me to listen to what you’re saying lol

Has school said anything/ made any requests?

thegiver  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 8:45 pm
Not at all

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 9:23 pm
Hey, I’m an elementary morah.
What’s the harm in evaluation? Especially if he’s young, it’s not uncommon. Let’s jump the gun and give the example of ADHD- as a teacher, the only thing I do differently with my ADHD students is help them learn in their own way. I have never seen such a diagnosis affect them socially, and it helps me understand them so much better, and therefore I change things to help them. We have team meetings to discuss the students with evals- That means a team of professionals is actively working to help your child succeed. Every child would want that.

One of my own kiddos has similar tendencies and I’m doing all I can with therapies to help him, and if in a couple of years he needs an evaluation I’ll do it as well. As a teacher, I’ve seen what a difference an evaluation does.

thegiver

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 7:11 am
We don’t understand benefit of eval.

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 7:20 am
OP being able to tune out extraneous sensory stimuli is a developmental skill, not a behavioral one.

Talking in class is an impulse control issue. Again, developmental.

amother
  Pansy

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 9:20 am
thegiver wrote:
We don’t understand benefit of eval.

To figure out what is going wrong that your child is struggling with these skills so they can be approached and taught properly.

If you have 2 kids who can’t write their name, it could be that 1 doesn’t know how to hold the pencil and the other doesn’t know his letters- once you can identify the problem, you’re going to approach the solution differently

amother
Midnight  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 9:38 am
amother Pansy wrote:
To figure out what is going wrong that your child is struggling with these skills so they can be approached and taught properly.

If you have 2 kids who can’t write their name, it could be that 1 doesn’t know how to hold the pencil and the other doesn’t know his letters- once you can identify the problem, you’re going to approach the solution differently

This.

I have two kids who have similar issues. The older one is due to ADHD, and when he got his diagnosis I was able to read up on how to help him. I tried the same techniques with the younger one when he started having the same issues, and it didn't work. Got him evaluated, turns out he has sensory sensitivies. I never would have guessed! (He doesn't do the typical things like only like certain clothes, etc...it's a very specific type of sensory sensitivity where it's a specific type of touch that bothers him...like sprinklers, showers, being jostled in the hallways, things like that.) It was SO helpful to understand where his issues where coming from and to help him find ways to avoid triggers and to deal with unavoidable ones.

I haven't read your other threads (haven't been on imamother much recently). But there's nothing "bad" about having a diagnosis. After my oldest was diagnosed with ADHD, I realized I had a lot of the same symptoms. Got myself a diagnosis too, and then started applying what I'd read to myself. It made my life SO much easier!!

amother
  Midnight

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 9:40 am
thegiver wrote:
I’m a horrible listener even if someone is looking at me straight in the face and speaking directly to me. My mind is in a 1000 places at once. How do I let go of everything I want to think about and become an empty vessel to listen to someone else’s thoughts?)

By the way, not giving you a diagnosis or anything, but the above sounds like me. It's SO hard for me to focus on someone who is talking to me, even one-on-one, and even if it's something I really really want to listen to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics