Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Teach me how to be poor

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 10:35 am
I'm serious. This is a new and scary stage for me. I've always been tight and extremely careful with what I spend but like many others I'm finding myself with no cash. This is after cutting and cutting and cutting. My business took a big hit in the past few months and expenses are skyrocketing. I have no idea how to do this. My credit card bill is due and I don't have the money. My kids need basics for school. Never mind me, I'll manage with whatever shmattas I have. I already canceled my cleaning help and buy food with careful thought. Teach me your poor tips and let's daven that Hashem has rachmanus on all of us who are struggling.

Molly Weasley

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 11:23 am
Oy. And oy. 1000 hugs.

mom!

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 11:29 am
Hugs op.

Did you sit down and make a list of your monthly expenses?
Once you have a clear picture, we can help you brainstorm.

Off the top my head, see if you can re-price out internet, auto insurance, etc etc

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 11:36 am
Welcome to the club of misery. May we leave it someday really soon! You’re lucky to not have been dealing with this until now.

Call your internet service provider and say you’re calling to cancel because they’re too expensive. Optimum cut my bill from $130 to $70 when I did that.

Shop at Aldi if you have one in your area. The prices are not to be believed, so cheap! I only buy milk and meat products at Jewish stores. They’re too expensive for me to be buying anything else there.

Do everything you can to avoid putting things on credit card if you can’t pay them off at the end of the month. But if you’re in a situation where there’s no choice, at least get a 0% interest card and put the purchases on that. The 0% interest period runs out after a year or 18 month depending on the card and you can transfer the balance to a different 0% interest card at that point if you’re still unable to pay it.

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 11:37 am
Look at everything.
Whatever you spend money on- food, clothing, expenses...
Where do you shop? I go to a chain secular store for everything except meat/chicken. Which is for Shabbos. I use their points and digital coupons system which saves me tons of money.
Don't eat chicken except Shabbos. Meat is never.
Kids don't need new stuff just because it is YT, start of school year, new season. If it can work, make it work.
That should be the new mantra: don't buy, if it can work make it work.

Our income got slashed by 2/3s about 7 months ago. We weren't wealthy before either... This is how we survive.

tichellady  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 11:51 am
Are their community services that can help you? Like tomchei shabbos or a Rav’s discretionary fund?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 12:23 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
Look at everything.
Whatever you spend money on- food, clothing, expenses...
Where do you shop? I go to a chain secular store for everything except meat/chicken. Which is for Shabbos. I use their points and digital coupons system which saves me tons of money.
Don't eat chicken except Shabbos. Meat is never.
Kids don't need new stuff just because it is YT, start of school year, new season. If it can work, make it work.
That should be the new mantra: don't buy, if it can work make it work.

Our income got slashed by 2/3s about 7 months ago. We weren't wealthy before either... This is how we survive.

Which store do you shop at that has coupons

Debbie Rose

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 12:25 pm
Ouch that’s really rough!!
At the end of each month look at your credit card and bank statements so you can see where you end up spending

oneofakind

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 1:54 pm
Look through last year's school supplies and reuse whatever is possible. Ask friends/neighbors if you need to buy books/ seforim if you can use their old ones.
Pop up stores were selling cheap children's shoes. Go to gemach for uniforms and Walmart for the rest of clothes needed.

tichellady

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 1:55 pm
Buy nothing on Facebook is a great way to get stuff- I have given away and received shoes, clothing, toys, food etc

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:40 pm
I can teach you how to be poor like me

I hit rock bottom and took a job and thats that. I have a cash flow, Im drained physically but I have more money now.

Nothing else worked. I was a wrung out rag

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm serious. This is a new and scary stage for me. I've always been tight and extremely careful with what I spend but like many others I'm finding myself with no cash. This is after cutting and cutting and cutting. My business took a big hit in the past few months and expenses are skyrocketing. I have no idea how to do this. My credit card bill is due and I don't have the money. My kids need basics for school. Never mind me, I'll manage with whatever shmattas I have. I already canceled my cleaning help and buy food with careful thought. Teach me your poor tips and let's daven that Hashem has rachmanus on all of us who are struggling.
try to see how you can get your business going again. See what you can change and improve. Maybe we can offer some ideas if you want to share the type of business you have.

smolka613

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:26 am
I don't know your circumstances but we get by through mainly davening and bitachon. Somehow Hashem always makes it work out.

We stopped eating meat during the week and do eggs/lentils/tofu/beans/chickpea dishes instead. Turkey is also inexpensive. Sometimes for our family of 5 we can keep our grocery budget below $100 a week (not including Shabbat). I also recommend Facebook marketplace for children's clothes. You can find really nice quality stuff that rich people sell for cheap or just give away.

Hatzlacha raba; It's not easy and I hope you have a great parnassah soon.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 12:51 pm
No advice. Just empathy I’m in the same boat. I was never rich, but I literally can’t afford groceries. I never knew how much being ok financially affected my happiness.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics