Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Professional bakers please help

tweety1  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 3:28 pm
I made a honey cake. 2 recipes 10x16 pans. I forgot the oil. What can I repurpose it for?

oneofakind

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 3:32 pm
It'll be very dry but edible. Maybe layer it between cream cheese frosting?

tweety1  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 3:33 pm
oneofakind wrote:
It'll be very dry but edible. Maybe layer it between cream cheese frosting?

It is very dry. Like really dry. That's why I want to repurpose it. Cake pops or something. I have no idea how though.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 3:38 pm
Process into coarse crumbs and mix with some frosting and roll into balls.

Can add rum or vanilla fir flavoring.

Amarante  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 3:40 pm
Trifle would work as most recipes call for moistening the cake with some kind of liqueur anyway.

And then the pudding and the whipped cream also softens it. Some recipes also have preserves as additional moist elements.

I had a cake failure once when I had promised dessert and I repurposed it into a trifle and everyone raved.

tweety1  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 3:43 pm
Amarante wrote:
Trifle would work as most recipes call for moistening the cake with some kind of liqueur anyway.

And then the pudding and the whipped cream also softens it. Some recipes also have preserves as additional moist elements.

I had a cake failure once when I had promised dessert and I repurposed it into a trifle and everyone raved.

We have a simcha coming up. I would do mini trifles. Can you please give me exact instructions and amounts?

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 3:53 pm
tweety1 wrote:
We have a simcha coming up. I would do mini trifles. Can you please give me exact instructions and amounts?

I've never made a mini trifle as mine was the traditional composition in a large glass bowl.

I just googled mini trifle honey cake and there are loads of suggetions.

Keep in mind that it really is just a template. I used an Ina Garten recipe because my cake disaster was a ginger bundt cake and so mine was layers of cake cubes moistened with liquor; vanilla pudding and whipped cream. I didn't have much time so I dumbed down her recipe which had called for home made custard and real whipped cream and used instant pudding and Cool Whip topping. LOL

I think the authentic English recipes called for something call Birds Custard which is a box of pudding mix.

https://www.google.com/search?.....-serp

tweety1  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 4:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
I've never made a mini trifle as mine was the traditional composition in a large glass bowl.

I just googled mini trifle honey cake and there are loads of suggetions.

Keep in mind that it really is just a template. I used an Ina Garten recipe because my cake disaster was a ginger bundt cake and so mine was layers of cake cubes moistened with liquor; vanilla pudding and whipped cream. I didn't have much time so I dumbed down her recipe which had called for home made custard and real whipped cream and used instant pudding and Cool Whip topping. LOL

I think the authentic English recipes called for something call Birds Custard which is a box of pudding mix.

https://www.google.com/search?.....-serp

Thanks so much for your help. I'll go through them. I'll also take the suggestion of cake pops with frosting. It's a real גם זו לטובה situation. It's not one recipe it's 2!

bakingmom

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 5:54 pm
When I have a cake failiure, I usually turn it into rum balls, or rum logs. Crumble the cake and add the following - no quantities, its a mix and taste till it tastes right:
cocoa powder
sugar (not too much, as the cake is sweet),
coconut (the tiny shreds, not sweetened long threads) or ground almonds
rum flavoring (or real rum if you want)
water (enough to moisten it and make it all stick together)
wine - optional, if I have an open bottle around, I'll add some, if not, not!
sometimes chocolate liquor (depends how much rum and wine I used, I sometimes fins it needs an extra something for taste)

Then either roll the mixture into balls and coat in coconut/sprinkles/melted chocolate or roll it into log shapes, freeze and dip in chocolate. If I send it for a simcha I then drizzle white/pink/blue chocolate over the logs and it looks really fancy!

tweety1

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 9:52 am
So I decided on cake balls made with store bought frosting, and mini trifles. Googled some recipes and doing my own combo. I hope these don't flop.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics