Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
As an illustrator for children's books...
Previous  1  2  3

Do you prefer illustrations that are
More realistic  
 43%  [ 54 ]
More cartoony or whimsical  
 32%  [ 40 ]
I don't care either way  
 20%  [ 26 ]
Other  
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 125

tigerwife  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:30 am
I love children’s books, and I definitely choose based on quality of illustration. I prefer stylized, whimsical art. BigSis mentioned Fancy Nancy- I’ll have to add Pinkaliscious- I love Victoria Kahan’s mixed media! How did you all get involved in book illustration? Do you work directly with publishers or are you freelancers?

Bleemee

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:35 am
This book has watercolor and fabric collages.
https://a.co/d/eZ7VoRA

tigerwife

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:35 pm
Bleemee wrote:
This book has watercolor and fabric collages.
https://a.co/d/eZ7VoRA

Love this one! Love the fashion illustrations, too!

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:47 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I love children’s books, and I definitely choose based on quality of illustration. I prefer stylized, whimsical art. BigSis mentioned Fancy Nancy- I’ll have to add Pinkaliscious- I love Victoria Kahan’s mixed media! How did you all get involved in book illustration? Do you work directly with publishers or are you freelancers?

I was contacted by the author for my first book. Once my name was out there, I have gotten lots of offers.
I am also in contact with another illustrator who passes on my name when people reach out to her.
I have worked directly with the authors, but the publishers are involved in the back and forth.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 3:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was contacted by the author for my first book. Once my name was out there, I have gotten lots of offers.
I am also in contact with another illustrator who passes on my name when people reach out to her.
I have worked directly with the authors, but the publishers are involved in the back and forth.

I’ve done some freelance illustration here and there, but I’d love to illustrate a proper book. Any tips and ideas how to get my name out there and get into the big publishers?

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 4:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm curious if you could name some books or artists, whose style appealed to you or your kids.

My children love the illustrations in "Is it Shabbos Yet?" By Ellen Emerman. There's also a book called "Messes of Dresses" by F. Pertzig that has a more cartoon-y style but have realistic features. The original Savta Simcha books by Yaffa Ganz were illustrated by Bina Gewirtz. Those were my favorite as a child.

familyfirst  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:16 pm
Tova leff is the artist of messes of dresses

It is a fabulous book! The drawings are at least as amazing as the weiting’

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:17 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
I’ve done some freelance illustration here and there, but I’d love to illustrate a proper book. Any tips and ideas how to get my name out there and get into the big publishers?

Maybe email the publishers? Hachai, Artscroll. Feldheim. And others.
Send some samples of your work.

Beautiful

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:25 pm
I am awestruck by the illustrations of Fox Walked Alone.
https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Wal.....25480
It's some sort of clay that Barbara forms,shapes, molds, to tell the story. Similar to the claymation hagada I had as a kid but different. She includes incredible little details and the pictures tell a story all by themselves. I reread it and admire each time I pick it up. Happens to be it's about the teiva but that doesn't even matter.

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:27 pm
Thank you for your request for input.
I value illustrations in a book, that is what the young kids are looking at as I read the words. I second the request for women and girls to be included in illustrations .
A pet peeve of mine from the time I was a little girl (I’m a grandmother !) is when the details of the illustrations do not match the text. Eg “he put on his blue baseball cap” and the illustration portrays a green cap. Or “she balanced the cup on the dish in her right hand while pulling on the doorknob with her free hand “ and the details of the illustration do not match up .
Wishing you much hatzlacha in your important work !

naomi2

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:27 pm
I love when children's books have realistic drawing illustration. The only Jewish book I can think of is The very best place for A Penny"
absolutely a pleasure to read

gr82no

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:40 pm
naomi2 wrote:
I love when children's books have realistic drawing illustration. The only Jewish book I can think of is The very best place for A Penny"
absolutely a pleasure to read

I was reading it today and thought the same. But the author did add hands and feet to objects. (And a tube and oar in the washing machine)

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:12 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
Thank you for your request for input.
I value illustrations in a book, that is what the young kids are looking at as I read the words. I second the request for women and girls to be included in illustrations .
A pet peeve of mine from the time I was a little girl (I’m a grandmother !) is when the details of the illustrations do not match the text. Eg “he put on his blue baseball cap” and the illustration portrays a green cap. Or “she balanced the cup on the dish in her right hand while pulling on the doorknob with her free hand “ and the details of the illustration do not match up .
Wishing you much hatzlacha in your important work !

I totally agree. I have found many such mistakes. In my latest book, I realized I drew a picture different than the story, and I asked the author to change a little detail in the writing to match the picture.
I think that the pressure of deadlines sometimes cause these errors.

Thank you for your kind words. It is truly a labor of love for me , and I'm sure every other artist as well.

familyfirst

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:01 pm
Ok
Now we’re curious

Which book did you illustrate?
Or can you at least share a random sample of your work so that we could critique… I mean praise?!?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels