Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
As an illustrator for children's books...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you prefer illustrations that are
More realistic  
 43%  [ 54 ]
More cartoony or whimsical  
 32%  [ 40 ]
I don't care either way  
 20%  [ 26 ]
Other  
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 125

amother
  Whitewash

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 7:48 pm
Simple1 wrote:
At first it bothered me. But after thinking about it I was wondering if the author was concerned with his own shmiras Enayim rather than beshita just leaving out women . As someone who studied art, I know that drawing people involves a lot of study and observation of anatomy, a lot more than what the average reader notices. Maybe we just need more books illustrated by women.

I think that the job description should either require illustrations of women or not, depending on the content. And then it can be the illustrator's choice as to whether or not he finds the job suitable for him. There are certainly enough illustrators who do draw women.

ittsamother  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 7:53 pm
I thought about it and I decided I don't really care if it's cartoony, whimsical, or realistic, as long as it's done well and, as others have said, the proportions are done right, all the features are there, and the pictures are pleasing. Quentin Blake's illustrations for Roald Dahl's books, for example, drive me nuts, I hate them. And I've seen other childrens' series where the proportions in the characters are just off and it irritates me every time I read the book. Ultimately if the story is good enough I might get the book anyway but it's definitely a big factor.

ittsamother  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 7:55 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
I think that the job description should either require illustrations of women or not, depending on the content. And then it can be the illustrator's choice as to whether or not he finds the job suitable for him. There are certainly enough illustrators who do draw women.

Exactly. If an illustrator is not comfortable drawing females perhaps they should not be illustrating children's books. The readers shouldn't have to suffer for his standards for himself.

Simple1

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 7:58 pm
ittsamother wrote:
Exactly. If an illustrator is not comfortable drawing females perhaps they should not be illustrating children's books. The readers shouldn't have to suffer for his standards for himself.

I do agree. I was thinking of a case where the illustrator created the book which is his right to do so and your right not to buy.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:07 pm
ittsamother wrote:
I thought about it and I decided I don't really care if it's cartoony, whimsical, or realistic, as long as it's done well and, as others have said, the proportions are done right, all the features are there, and the pictures are pleasing. Quentin Blake's illustrations for Roald Dahl's books, for example, drive me nuts, I hate them. And I've seen other childrens' series where the proportions in the characters are just off and it irritates me every time I read the book. Ultimately if the story is good enough I might get the book anyway but it's definitely a big factor.

I'm curious if you could name some books or artists, whose style appealed to you or your kids.

ittsamother

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:08 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I do agree. I was thinking of a case where the illustrator created the book which is his right to do so and your right not to buy.

True and that really applies to anything anyone creates. We always have a choice as the consumer whether to buy it or not. But there's still something very offputting about putting a creation out into the world that intentionally cuts out half the population it's meant for, even if I personally choose not to buy it. If the book was intentionally created for chassidish boys, for example, then maybe I can hear it. But if it were meant for the general frum population at large, it feels wrong to take that route.

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:13 pm
It doesn't make a difference to me if the illustrations are cartoony or realistic as long as the drawings are clear with clear lines and not extremely busy. Also I prefer flat chested women in books. I don't feel comfortable reading my sons stories with barbie figures in it. (I don't have this issue with my girls.) My preference.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:15 pm
Marla Frazee is my favorite illustrator. Check out seven silly eaters. The amount of detail she puts in but all in a realistic but cartoony/whimsical way amazes me.

bsy

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:23 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Marla Frazee is my favorite illustrator. Check out seven silly eaters. The amount of detail she puts in but all in a realistic but cartoony/whimsical way amazes me.

I love that book. The pictures are amazing

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:25 am
I love detailed illustrations that if you look at for a long time, you notice more things in the picture.

e.g a book I once had had a small mouse in the corner copying the mother's expression.

amother
Firebrick  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 2:06 am
Marc lumar in bennys mitzvah note is brilliantly illustrated .
Al jaffe all ways clever and funny
Norman nodel excellent combination of realistic and fun
For older kids: gadi pollack is hands down the winner in frum publications.
Who remembers Joe kubert? He’s also for older kids. But absolutely magnificent work.
Patti argoff is great.
The artist of hachai’s once upon a time. I think vitally romanenko does a fantastic job.

I lOVE analyzing kids books, AMA

familyfirst  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 2:32 am
Another firebrick-
You know your stuff!!!

Ima_Shelli

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:14 am
I have noticed that the best non-Jewish children's books (generally) have gorgeous, artistic illustrations that paint an abstract picture more than being an exact/ cartoonish depiction of the story.

As you can see from the poll, seems like Jewish children's books use much less 'stylized' and more cartoonish illustrations, which appears to be a customer preference based on this poll. I can't really describe the difference, but if you look at classic children's books like The Very Hungry Caterpillar or Big Bear, Big Bear What Do You See? you can see what I mean by artistic rather than cartoonish illustrations.

(Although I loved Esky's Dov Dov illustrations as a kid, mostly because I was astonished that anyone could draw so realistically.)

Again, I think this is a customer preference. Also I know very little about illustrating children's literature and I'm sure there is a difference between the two styles I'm describing above, and when one is chosen over the other... (action vs picture books?)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:19 am
amother OP wrote:
The thread about shaitels in children's book illustrations has given me some food for thought.

As a children's book illustrator, I have tried to think about my role in the scheme of things.

I don't know to what extent people really care what they see in children's books, or if it really affects them. But I once discussed this with someone who had very strong feelings about the lack of female presence in the illustrations. She said it always bothered her, even as a young girl. As a result, I have gone out of my way to add women and girls to some illustrations, even if the story was about boys or men.

I am wondering if people can weigh in if they ever choose kids books based on the illustrations? Do you care if the drawings are well done or you don't care, as long as the writing was good? Do you prefer illustrations that are more realistic, or more cartoony or whimsical?
Thanks for your input!

Why do are mothers always wearing sheitels and looking so dressed?! Even while giving their kid a bath?! Or doing bedikas chometz?! Not realistic

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:30 am
I love the illustrations in the Little Critter series. They have so many thought out details. The characters are cartoony, but in an expressive way, not a bland Paw Patrol kind of way.

bigsis144  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:45 am
I love the illustration style in the Fancy Nancy books (Robin Preiss Glasser). You can tell they are influenced by “fashion illustration” style, plus lots of detail and emotional expression.

(I’m also fond of these books because my 5 year old is basically Nancy 😆. The girliest, most uniquely fabulous little girl. I admit that I was hesitant to read the books, fearing they’d glorify fashion and have a superficial, spoiled protagonist, but they’re all really sweet. Fun vocabulary-broadening language, and Nancy has other interests besides fashion, just in her own “fancy” way. And her parents are so normal! I love that her mom wears jeans and a ponytail and glasses!)

amother
  Firebrick

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:54 am
amother Firebrick wrote:
Marc lumar in bennys mitzvah note is brilliantly illustrated .
Al jaffe all ways clever and funny
Norman nodel excellent combination of realistic and fun
For older kids: gadi pollack is hands down the winner in frum publications.
Who remembers Joe kubert? He’s also for older kids. But absolutely magnificent work.
Patti argoff is great.
The artist of hachai’s once upon a time. I think vitally romanenko does a fantastic job.

I lOVE analyzing kids books, AMA

I want to add that hachai ‘s creation book published within the last few years took on a whole new genre in children’s illustrations. It’s masterfully done. Similar to the hungry caterpillar but different too. It’s painted cutouts. The kids love it and As an adult, I appreciate it on a much deeper level.
I’d love to see different genres in art for Jewish kids books.
Many years ago there was a tzitzis book with the pictures made out of fimo clay. That was a nice change.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:02 am
Ima_Shelli wrote:
I have noticed that the best non-Jewish children's books (generally) have gorgeous, artistic illustrations that paint an abstract picture more than being an exact/ cartoonish depiction of the story.

As you can see from the poll, seems like Jewish children's books use much less 'stylized' and more cartoonish illustrations, which appears to be a customer preference based on this poll. I can't really describe the difference, but if you look at classic children's books like The Very Hungry Caterpillar or Big Bear, Big Bear What Do You See? you can see what I mean by artistic rather than cartoonish illustrations.

(Although I loved Esky's Dov Dov illustrations as a kid, mostly because I was astonished that anyone could draw so realistically.)

Again, I think this is a customer preference. Also I know very little about illustrating children's literature and I'm sure there is a difference between the two styles I'm describing above, and when one is chosen over the other... (action vs picture books?)

Thanks for your feedback.
Just one thing- you are assuming that the style is based on customer preference, but I don't think that's the case.
The customer buys what's available in the book store. Other than through their purchases, they don't really get to make preferences.

The style used in the books is usually either the artist's natural style, or based on what the author is requesting.
Most artists have one style they use throughout all their books. A huge exception is , of course, Gadi Pollak. But I almost can't think of another artist that has a varied style like that.
Even the greats, Shmuel Kunda and Norman Nodel (zichronam levracha), drew most of their characters in the same style.

Also. There aren't only 2 styles, obviously. I simplified the poll to just two options, but all of these are in a spectrum.
For example, Gadi Pollaks backgrounds are extremely accurate in terms of perspective. But his characters can be somewhat cartoonish (in the style of the Yiddish Kup series).
Then there are artists who cartoonify the background as well, or maybe they just don't bother with perspective rules.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:02 am
I did a quick survey of my “getting ready for… Pesach/Shabbos” books:

Two mommies who never grew out of their Bais Yaakov uniforms 😆
(Also, specifically seeing a mother pull hot challah out of the oven in a sheitel has me shaking my head)

Incredibly put together for Bedikas Chametz night

One mommy in a headband fall (this book is translated from Hebrew, IDK if it being Israeli makes a difference)

One snood!

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:32 am
amother Firebrick wrote:
I want to add that hachai ‘s creation book published within the last few years took on a whole new genre in children’s illustrations. It’s masterfully done. Similar to the hungry caterpillar but different too. It’s painted cutouts. The kids love it and As an adult, I appreciate it on a much deeper level.
I’d love to see different genres in art for Jewish kids books.
Many years ago there was a tzitzis book with the pictures made out of fimo clay. That was a nice change.

That book is absolutely beautiful, illustrations and words.
So many of the Jewish books have basic uninspired drawings - like basically all of the ones in the post above. Basic vector shapes filled with flat color, maybe some shading or gradient if you're lucky.
Art should ignite the imagination.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels