Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
WIC- Over Income

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:11 pm
Is there an option of being over income and still be eligible for WIC benefits?
We’re literally $200 above the threshold. I’m wondering if there’s anyway we can get the benefits.

gdgirl

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:16 pm
in some states if you have medicaid you are eligible even if over income. example-income limits are higher in pregnancy so someone with a larger family may not income qualify for wic but yes for medicaid and are then automatically eligible for wic. I realized close to giving birth that I would have been eligible in this way and not sure if I should still apply now..if its worth it...

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:18 pm
I’m not currently on wic but I was eligible for a while even though my income was too high because my kids were on Medicaid. However they did kick us off at some point saying that it doesn’t work like that any more in my state. (Maryland) But maybe in the state you’re in it will. My sisters in NJ and she still gets because her kids are on Medicaid even though her income is too high.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:20 pm
Perhaps the extra income can go into a pretax account (like 401k I think) and avoid being counted? I’m not sure if it works like that

Another options is to maybe ask work for those extra funds as a one time bonus at the end of the year, so you are only ineligible for that specific month

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:23 pm
I live in New Jersey and I’m over the income limits and my child is still on wic since he has Medicaid, so it’s very possible you could be eligible. It sounds like it goes based on the state rules

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:24 pm
gdgirl wrote:
in some states if you have medicaid you are eligible even if over income. example-income limits are higher in pregnancy so someone with a larger family may not income qualify for wic but yes for medicaid and are then automatically eligible for wic. I realized close to giving birth that I would have been eligible in this way and not sure if I should still apply now..if its worth it...

If you qualify for Medicaid in pregnancy I think you are locked in for a year after the baby even if your income doesn’t meet non pregnant Medicaid standards so you could still get WIC that entire year

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:32 pm
In NJ, you can qualify if your child is on jersey care (and income limits for that is a lot higher than for WIC)

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:00 pm
I'm in NY. I don't have Medicaid. This is our first pregnancy.
Any ideas?

amother
Iris  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm in NY. I don't have Medicaid. This is our first pregnancy.
Any ideas?

What insurance do you have?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:04 pm
amother Iris wrote:
What insurance do you have?

United Healthcare Private Plan

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:06 pm
If you include unborn baby in family size then are you under the limit?

amother
  Iris  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
United Healthcare Private Plan

If this is from your job, then you may be able to get medicaid as a secondary insurance during pregnancy.
The medicaid income limits are much higher for pregnant women so are probably eligible. You will get a straight Medicaid card (you do not choose an HMO). Then take that medicaid card to the wic office and you will get wic
That's what I do I have UHC oxford from my job

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:09 pm
amother Brown wrote:
If you include unborn baby in family size then are you under the limit?

No, we just about miss it.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:10 pm
amother Iris wrote:
If this is from your job, then you may be able to get medicaid as a secondary insurance during pregnancy.
The medicaid income limits are much higher for pregnant women so are probably eligible. You will get a straight Medicaid card (you do not choose an HMO). Then take that medicaid card to the wic office and you will get wic
That's what I do I have UHC oxford from my job

This sounds interesting. I'm on my mother's plan, it's not my employer.
Can I still get a secondary insurance?

amother
  Iris

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
This sounds interesting. I'm on my mother's plan, it's not my employer.
Can I still get a secondary insurance?

Yes
When you apply they will probably ask you for your primary insurance so tell them UHC
Also once you have Medicaid the baby will also get medicaid which is important because the baby isn't covered under your mom's plan once you leave the hospital

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:31 pm
amother Iris wrote:
Yes
When you apply they will probably ask you for your primary insurance so tell them UHC
Also once you have Medicaid the baby will also get medicaid which is important because the baby isn't covered under your mom's plan once you leave the hospital

Thanks so much for this info!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics