Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
ISO Nutritionist MD

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 2:07 pm
Looking a nutritionist in MD that does virtual and takes insurance. There are lots of ads for people in the local jewish paper, but I would like suggestions from those who have recommendations. Thanks!

BmoreBubby

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 12:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
Looking a nutritionist in MD that does virtual and takes insurance. There are lots of ads for people in the local jewish paper, but I would like suggestions from those who have recommendations. Thanks!

In case you are not aware, there is a difference between nutritionist and dietitian - anyone may legally call herself a nutritionist, but a dietitian is a highly-trained person. I looked at the RD list in the back of Body & Soul and found Adriane Stein Kozlovsky chailifenutritionforu.com and Deena Mael deenamael@gmail.com listed.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 7:23 pm
BmoreBubby wrote:
In case you are not aware, there is a difference between nutritionist and dietitian - anyone may legally call herself a nutritionist, but a dietitian is a highly-trained person. I looked at the RD list in the back of Body & Soul and found Adriane Stein Kozlovsky chailifenutritionforu.com and Deena Mael deenamael@gmail.com listed.

Thank you so much! What is body and soul?

Chana Miriam S  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 9:37 pm
I don’t have names but want to add that a registered healthcare provider who is educated in nutrition can also provide value. Those people would probably not be called nutritionists and are not registered dieticians but that doesn’t invalidate their specializations.

As an example, I’m a nurse who has nutrition certification and am pursuing certification in diabetes education and obesity Education. To do this, I need to spend about 1800 hours doing supervised education ( working with clients) in diabetes and obesity before challenging two separate exams and registering ( in addition to my nursing license) so that I am accountable to overseeing organizations.

I’m already comfortable working with patients in these areas which are currently within my scope of practice as a nurse. It’s my job as a registered healthcare provider to understand my abilities and apply them appropriately, and apply my knowledge to the assessment goals, and ongoing evaluation of the interventions accepted by the client.

I have a friend who is a physician who does the same. We probably are not licensed where you are located, so this might not be helpful to you, but I say it to illuminate that not only dieticians can provide responsible support with food. Personally though, I’d be suspicious of anyone who calls themselves a nutritionist or in some cases, a health coach who isn’t a registered healthcare provider. Registered healthcare providers are self regulated and overseen by our colleges or boards. If we don’t act properly, we are disciplined and can lose our license.

Someone who isn’t a registered healthcare provider has no one watching them. They aren’t accountable to anyone. It’s like the difference between a person saying something is kosher and proper hashgacha.

Wishing you all the best.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 11:09 pm
Chana Miriam S wrote:
I don’t have names but want to add that a registered healthcare provider who is educated in nutrition can also provide value. Those people would probably not be called nutritionists and are not registered dieticians but that doesn’t invalidate their specializations.

As an example, I’m a nurse who has nutrition certification and am pursuing certification in diabetes education and obesity Education. To do this, I need to spend about 1800 hours doing supervised education ( working with clients) in diabetes and obesity before challenging two separate exams and registering ( in addition to my nursing license) so that I am accountable to overseeing organizations.

I’m already comfortable working with patients in these areas which are currently within my scope of practice as a nurse. It’s my job as a registered healthcare provider to understand my abilities and apply them appropriately, and apply my knowledge to the assessment goals, and ongoing evaluation of the interventions accepted by the client.

I have a friend who is a physician who does the same. We probably are not licensed where you are located, so this might not be helpful to you, but I say it to illuminate that not only dieticians can provide responsible support with food. Personally though, I’d be suspicious of anyone who calls themselves a nutritionist or in some cases, a health coach who isn’t a registered healthcare provider. Registered healthcare providers are self regulated and overseen by our colleges or boards. If we don’t act properly, we are disciplined and can lose our license.

Someone who isn’t a registered healthcare provider has no one watching them. They aren’t accountable to anyone. It’s like the difference between a person saying something is kosher and proper hashgacha.

Wishing you all the best.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share a very in-depth and clear and formative piece of information. I really appreciate it!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 11:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to share a very in-depth and clear and formative piece of information. I really appreciate it!

Happy to help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise