Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Shabbos afternoon guests

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 6:39 pm
A relative of ours is in town and asked if they can come over to visit shabbos afternoon.
They don't have the best social skills, are a bit intrusive and stay for hours, it's more of a mitzvah than anything.
I remember their kids are big eaters (age 3-14) and whenever they come over they want to eat, and eat a lot.
What can I serve them to eat? Or put out on the table? Not too much work but filling. (Food not nosh). No milchigs there are dairy allergies in their family.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 7:35 pm
A big salad heavy on the greens and cucumbers, unless you buy the pre checked greens, which costs the earth.

Egg salad if eggs are reasonably priced where you lived.

Homemade hummus made from dried chic peas you cook yourself, way cheaper even than homemade from canned chic peas.

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 7:41 pm
Maybe ask them to come over later in the afternoon like 6 so it’s closer to the end of shabbas and it won’t be as many hours

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 7:42 pm
Pasta salad is filling, veggie platter with baby carrots cut up cucumbers

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 7:43 pm
A big cholent?

We used to do thick challah sandwiches with turkey or salami. Not super cheap but very filling and you don't need to use that much meat.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 7:44 pm
Could you put cut up fruit, popcorn and cake? That’s what I would do for any shabbos afternoon guests…

newmother

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 7:45 pm
Watermelon, grapes, nuts, chips and salsa, pretzels

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:46 pm
My freinds kid are the entire candy bowl

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 10:58 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:

My friends 3 kids went through the entire candy bowl (filled with lollies, taffies, sucking candy..) and then they went through my fridge. All while their mom watched

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 11:01 pm
Fruit
vegetable platter dip
sushi salad
salsa and chips
pasta salad
tuna salad
challah rolls
nosh for the kids
plain pasta for kids

WhatFor

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 11:38 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:

I wouldn't leave any candies in front of children that I wasn't perfectly fine with them finishing. If there are multiple people there and I wanted there to be enough for everyone and a kid was taking tons and their parents wasn't saying anything, I'd straight up say kindly, "hey (child's name), can we please just make sure there's enough for (name the other people)?"

But if it was a pretty bowl sitting out with candy to look pretty, meant for current and future guests to take just one or two, I'd remove it when kids are around. Kids' brains aren't fully developed to have self control, and for kids with a sweet tooth, it's a stumbling block.

imaima  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 11:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
A relative of ours is in town and asked if they can come over to visit shabbos afternoon.
They don't have the best social skills, are a bit intrusive and stay for hours, it's more of a mitzvah than anything.
I remember their kids are big eaters (age 3-14) and whenever they come over they want to eat, and eat a lot.
What can I serve them to eat? Or put out on the table? Not too much work but filling. (Food not nosh). No milchigs there are dairy allergies in their family.

A pan of kugel, veggie salad.
The rest is nosh.
Sorry Shabbes afternoon is between meals in my house. I am not even sure what this timing means.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 11:41 pm
Guacamole
Crackers & matzah boards
Deviled eggs
Veggie sticks & dip
Tuna
Pasta salad

Keep some extra hard eggs around. I find a lot of the little ones just like them whole. Same for pasta- reserve some plain on the side before making the pasta salad.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Aug 22 2024, 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 11:41 pm
Most people don’t have a meal mid afternoon. I would just have fruit and cake unless it was late like shalosh seudos time.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 11:57 pm
They aren't going to listen to a time, they will show up whenever. I had previously made the mistake of not having food prepared and they literally just ate out my pantry and fridge. Id rather be prepared.
Like a shalosh seudos style.
The meal is lunch. By 5 pm people are hungry again. At least they for sure will be.

imaima

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 12:04 am
amother OP wrote:
They aren't going to listen to a time, they will show up whenever. I had previously made the mistake of not having food prepared and they literally just ate out my pantry and fridge. Id rather be prepared.
The meal is lunch. By 5 pm people are hungry again. At least they for sure will be.

This is weird
Oh well

Ruchi

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 1:02 am
amother OP wrote:

I would serve a proper shalosh seudas, sliced challoh, tuna, egg, cut up vegetables, including avocado, olives and pickles. potato salad, corn salad, lettuce based salad.
For dessert keep it simple with Sliced fruit. And then put out popcorn, potato chips,pretzels etc. No candies or other sticky chocolatey stuff.

amother
Stone

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 7:31 am
amother OP wrote:

Sushi salad
Nish nosh salad
Veggie Platter with Dips
Fruit platter
Platter of cakes and cookies
Chips
Popcorn

Also, you sound like a really nice person
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics