Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Have you ever met/became friends with s/o through imamother?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 8:49 pm
Share your imamother-turned-IRL story!

Here's mine:

I was new to imamother. I posted something under my screenname, indicating I had a certain struggle. (Not my own thread, just a comment in a conversation.) Someone responded with some tips. Later, maybe the next day, I got a private message from her. I was new here so I didn't know how that worked and was surprised, but very touched. She shared her own previous struggle with this topic and some more things that helped her.

I responded, we went back and forth a few times.

In the process, I learned where she lived (a different country than me), and sort of figured out her age range/stage in life (a lot older than me).

Soon after that, I was traveling to where she lives. I mentioned it, and she asked if I'd like to meet. I had thought about that but wasn't sure, but once she suggested it I said yes! She gave me her phone number and told me to be in touch.

Until then we were still referring to each other by screen name. Once I arrived in her city, I pm'd her, signing off with my first name.

The next day, I called. I said, "Hi, it's {first name}!" She said I guess I should tell you what my name is, too! We shmoozed for close to an hour.

We weren't sure if we'd be able to meet in the end, she had corona at the time. But on the last day of my trip, I went to visit.

I was a nervous wreck - maybe this was a BAD idea!

We had the nicest visit ever, we spoke and bonded like we were friends for years.

We have since become closer than I've ever been to any friend. At some point we switched from PM to email, and we talk here and there on the phone as well. I was back in her city twice since then, the latest time being for her daughter's wedding. I met her family, it was amazing. We share so much, we've been there for each other during each of our (very different) difficulties, we learn from each other...

If anyone wonders about friends who are far apart in age, or background, or so many other things - that's us! We live in different countries, she's from a different country that I've never been to, our general background is very different, she's a grandmother while I'm a mother of little kids, so many more differences.

But so many similarities - our hashkafos, our thoughts and feelings and outlook on life....... our love for each other - I thank Hashem for bringing me the greatest friend I ever could have had!

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 8:50 pm
Yes I did meet someone here through Private Message and we've kept up for a few years

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 8:52 pm
I can't remember how but I ended up speaking on the phone with a new teacher and giving her some coaching. We must have commented on some teaching threads and then pm each other.

nursemomma

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 8:56 pm
No, and I probably never will. I would be wary of a random internet stranger…

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 8:56 pm
Yes quite a few. Joined a few meetups and met amazing people.

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 9:01 pm

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 9:02 pm
Yes.
We communicated a bit through pm then realised we live in the same town. She then figured out who I was and I had no idea who she was. We arranged that's she'd knock on after candle lighting and I got a nice surprise to see someone I knew and we became very close after that.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 9:04 pm
I'm hopefully meeting someone I'm friends with this week or next week since she's in my area now for a trip.

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 9:14 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Yes quite a few. Joined a few meetups and met amazing people.
Which town

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 9:25 pm
Yes! I have a few good friends I made through this site.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 10:42 pm
Yes, someone posted asking for a chavrusa. I think we learned twice lol. Since then we've been regular friends. She's been off imamother for years but I've gone to her house, she's come to mine, and we chat on whatsapp fairly often.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 10:44 pm
I became friends with someone here! Hi!!!

We actually worked on something together today!

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 10:52 pm
Someone wanted to meet me but I decided not to
My sisters not on here but I said somthing about a party and someone on imamother knew who I was and asked my sister for my screen name she later on became a mod

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 11:16 pm
Yes. I became close with someone on here. First email then watsapp. We spoke a few times also. We shared a lot of vulnerable things with each other and it was a real gift from Hashem that she was there during that time in my life. We have since lost touch but I think about her often. I don’t even know if she’s till on here.

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 11:17 pm
Yes
Imasinger Hi

When we went to her city for medical reasons.
A wonderful person worth meeting!!

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 11:50 pm
I did meet someone on here in real life. I don’t even remember her screen name. By now we call each others by our first names and WhatsApp quiet a bit. We also met up once. It was actually really nice. We bonded over something mutual and have been keeping up since.

amother
Cyan  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 12:15 am
Yes, I have become friendly with a few people.
One person I talk to every day now, mostly via text or voicenotes. We also met when she came to my city.
We both run in such different circles that I can honestly say I would never have become friends with her if I met her first in real life.

Another person is a good friend and we shmooze occasionally via whatsapp or by phone. We know some people in common.

There's another person who I pmed with. We realized we were from the same city and had gone to the same school. Eventually we each guessed who the other was and it turned out we had been good friends in high school.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 12:25 am
Yes . At least one person that I consider my friends . And I also hired two ladies on here to work for me . They pretty much run my business and I also consider them my good friends !!

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 2:52 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
Yes
Imasinger Hi

When we went to her city for medical reasons.
A wonderful person worth meeting!!

That's someone I would love to meet! (among some other imas here!)

leah396  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 4:00 pm
I wish I would. But a deep understanding relationship. Not like a few hour one.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics