Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
I want to shave my head!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 2:04 pm
XM wrote:
I never thought it would come to a point where I'd want to do the same! I'm chasidish and got married a couple years ago. I made the decision not to shave then because the idea of me in a buzz cut freaked me out. I cut it short, yet still long enough to be in a pony. In the years since I made that decision, I discovered that hair, while covered, is not the glory I thought it would be. My once beautiful thick hair, has become dull, easily tangles, sports random postpartum hair loss spots and awkward new postpartum short-long hairs. I find thick hair under a wig is a minus and to top it off, I started sprouting white hairs in my low twenties.
I always struggled with the oppressive city heat in the summers, but sweating through my hair and my wig (and not being able to just wash it every night so it feels fresh with each new wear) is really tough.

There's no wind riffling through my hair, no sunlight reflecting it. I'm not styling my hair, throwing it up in a bun, and carelessly taking a walk in the rain.. Having my hair covered (almost) always is completely different than enjoying my hair as a girl. It hurts to say, but I'm not in love with my hair anymore! It's become a burden.

I haven't chopped it all off yet because the buzz-cut girl in the mirror is still freaking me out, but I think I'm inching closer to that decision.

You don't have to go straight buzz cut. Shave on the highest number (8, I think?) first, or even do a pixie and see if you can go shorter from there.

amother
Taupe  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 2:37 pm
Just to jump in, chasidish and shave and wouldn’t have it any other way, generally I would always cover, but believe it or not dh actually prefers it, I’m the one being self conscious about it, but he insists on private I should take off my Tichel, claims I look totally cute

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 3:00 pm
I'm really enjoying it so far.
My face looks thinner
It takes a second to put on a wig & the wig lays nicer on the head & is so much more comfortable.
I look more put together when wearing a tichel, no stray hairs sticking out all over & the tichel sits more firmly on the head without slipping or moving around.

amother
  Taupe  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 3:07 pm
Interesting you mention your Tichel, that actually usually looks flatter, which type of headwear do you wear, bandanas looks very flat on a shaved head

amother
Magenta  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 6:56 am
XM wrote:
I never thought it would come to a point where I'd want to do the same! I'm chasidish and got married a couple years ago. I made the decision not to shave then because the idea of me in a buzz cut freaked me out. I cut it short, yet still long enough to be in a pony. In the years since I made that decision, I discovered that hair, while covered, is not the glory I thought it would be. My once beautiful thick hair, has become dull, easily tangles, sports random postpartum hair loss spots and awkward new postpartum short-long hairs.

There's no wind riffling through my hair, no sunlight reflecting it. I'm not styling my hair, throwing it up in a bun, and carelessly taking a walk in the rain.. Having my hair covered (almost) always is completely different than enjoying my hair as a girl. It hurts to say, but I'm not in love with my hair anymore! It's become a burden.

I haven't chopped it all off yet because the buzz-cut girl in the mirror is still freaking me out, but I think I'm inching closer to that decision.

I would love some tips or advice. Im chassidish and my whole family shaves. When I woke up the day after my wedding I was freaking out and decided not to shave. I always super sensitive to shaved heads even on non jews and I never understood how it can be pretty in any way.
I shaved my sideburns so that ppl shouldn't know. Around 2 months after my wedding I was feeling guilty, also someone in my family got sick and I decided to shave as a zchus... I also heard all the great brachos that come along with it. Since then, I have shaven sporadically and each time, I consider stopping completely. At one point, my husbands rebbe wished us brachos and the week I shaved I found out I was pregnant ( had a miscarriage but ....) my hair is curly and not easy to maintain. At this point I dont know what to do. I stopped shaving and my hair is now short, like a few inches long. (Pixie maybe) It is so hard under a wig or tichel and I keep wanting to just shave it off. As a side point, im married more than 2 years and I keep thinking that if I shave ill get pregnant....
My husbands take on this is that its my call, my mitzva. Recently, he keeps saying that I should consider shaving and we will see brachos whatever. I have made up my mind that I want to grow it in, but what should I do until it does? I want to get a straightening once its longer. It doesnt look pretty now regardless and just sticks out everywhere. Also, I keep seeing on here how hair just gets uglier as we get older and we always keep it covered. I wont uncover at home probably. I dont know what to do.
I have done laser on my hairline btw.
For those of you that have shaved and stopped, what did u do while it was growing in??

amother
  Taupe  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:07 am
Not part of the growing back club but there’s at least 5 threads on the subject, I’m putting two to make a few but there’s many more I believe

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....51064

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....06405

amother
  Magenta  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:41 am
amother Taupe wrote:
Not part of the growing back club but there’s at least 5 threads on the subject, I’m putting two to make a few but there’s many more I believe

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....51064

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....06405

Thx the second link is to a closed forum

amother
  Taupe  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:43 am
Sure you can find more, just search it

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 1:20 pm
XM wrote:
I never thought it would come to a point where I'd want to do the same! I'm chasidish and got married a couple years ago. I made the decision not to shave then because the idea of me in a buzz cut freaked me out. I cut it short, yet still long enough to be in a pony. In the years since I made that decision, I discovered that hair, while covered, is not the glory I thought it would be. My once beautiful thick hair, has become dull, easily tangles, sports random postpartum hair loss spots and awkward new postpartum short-long hairs. I find thick hair under a wig is a minus and to top it off, I started sprouting white hairs in my low twenties.
I always struggled with the oppressive city heat in the summers, but sweating through my hair and my wig (and not being able to just wash it every night so it feels fresh with each new wear) is really tough.

Are you me?
Still trying to get my husband on board though

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 1:24 pm
Just curious- for all those who shave, are your husbands ok with it?

amother
  Impatiens  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 2:17 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
Just curious- for all those who shave, are your husbands ok with it?

I'm chasidish so my husband wants me to be shaven it's our minhag. Being on here made we want to try growing it in a bit. We decided I can try until my next mikvah visit. To my luck, it was about four months (yea irregular:lol). I enjoyed to see it in the mirror, my hair was still very good. DH loved feeling it in bed, and He saw it with lights on maybe once. I'm always covered, but sometimes in bed he'll feel it underneath my tichel and then it slips off.

mereparfaite

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 2:45 pm
I just read a wouman beatrice weber
she really regret it
think of it

amother
  Magenta  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 5:33 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
I'm chasidish so my husband wants me to be shaven it's our minhag. Being on here made we want to try growing it in a bit. We decided I can try until my next mikvah visit. To my luck, it was about four months (yea irregular:lol). I enjoyed to see it in the mirror, my hair was still very good. DH loved feeling it in bed, and He saw it with lights on maybe once. I'm always covered, but sometimes in bed he'll feel it underneath my tichel and then it slips off.

What did u do under your wig? My hair is all over the place unver a tichel unless I wear a cap

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 5:51 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Interesting you mention your Tichel, that actually usually looks flatter, which type of headwear do you wear, bandanas looks very flat on a shaved head

Personally I love the very flat look. Im not into shapers or volumizers.

amother
  Impatiens

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 6:32 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
What did u do under your wig? My hair is all over the place unver a tichel unless I wear a cap

I shaved the minimum around my head so I wouldn't have those hair sticking out, trimmed with scissors, or pushed to the side. It wasn't so long, only about four months. I felt the feeling of having my hair back, and now I thank Hashem that it's my minhag to shave.

I was all ready to have my hair off. When it came time to shave before the Mikvah, I had to first use scissors because otherwise, the machine pulled my hair.

amother
  Blonde

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 6:49 pm
Personally I always loved short haircuts and pixie cuts on chiseled models!

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 2:22 pm
I shaved for a year, then decided to try growing it our 6 months ago. I can't stand it. About to buzz it when I shower before Shabbos. My husband says he doesn't care as he doesn't see it anyway😂 For me, it's just in every way better buzzed. It HURTS right now at about 3 fingers and is always sticking out!!! It always looks mashed and awful. Who needs it?!?

amother
Green

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 2:58 pm
I always hated my hair. I'm no longer married but I still cover, but I decided a while back to shave my head and I love it! No more hair getting in the way or sticking out of my head covering or getting tangled up or so many other things. Good riddance!

amother
  Magenta  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 5:23 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
I shaved for a year, then decided to try growing it our 6 months ago. I can't stand it. About to buzz it when I shower before Shabbos. My husband says he doesn't care as he doesn't see it anyway😂 For me, it's just in every way better buzzed. It HURTS right now at about 3 fingers and is always sticking out!!! It always looks mashed and awful. Who needs it?!?

I'm in the same boattt it's so annoying
Did you end up shaving?

amother
  DarkRed  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 5:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm really enjoying it so far.
My face looks thinner
It takes a second to put on a wig & the wig lays nicer on the head & is so much more comfortable.
I look more put together when wearing a tichel, no stray hairs sticking out all over & the tichel sits more firmly on the head without slipping or moving around.

Does your sheitel not itch you going directly on your scalp? How do you keep it on?
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics