Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Ice skating for kids

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 8:01 am
A bunch of questions!
Can I take my kids ages 4-10 but not go on the rink myself?
Is there a place nearby that gives lessons to little kids?
Which rink would you recommend?

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 7:43 am
Bump

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 8:36 am
Winding river will allow your kids on the rink without you going on

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 8:47 am
amother Daylily wrote:
Winding river will allow your kids on the rink without you going on

Thanks! It’s hard to tell when open skating is but looks nice. As far as the kids enjoying themselves- can they just hop on the ice and teach themselves? Maybe with a wallet or something? I don’t know how to skate and can’t teach them.

galbis

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 9:50 am
They have a link on their website with the public skating calendar. You can rent walkers so they can have fun even if they don't know how to skate well. Usually there are ice skating clubs in the winter, I don't have any information as to who does it.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 9:58 am
Do the kids know how to roller skate? Ice skating is not exactly the same, but it's similar enough that those who can roller skate have some advantage.

Chayalle  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:07 am
My girls all took skating lessons at Winding River. You can join a group (they fill up quickly, so you have to sign up when registration opens) or hire someone privately. Check the website, or talk to them in person at the rink to find out more info. I highly recommend sending kids for lessons, before expecting themselves to enjoy the ice on their own.

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:13 am
Chayalle wrote:
I highly recommend sending kids for lessons, before expecting themselves to enjoy the ice on their own.

Strongly agree!

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 8:38 am
Chayalle wrote:
My girls all took skating lessons at Winding River. You can join a group (they fill up quickly, so you have to sign up when registration opens) or hire someone privately. Check the website, or talk to them in person at the rink to find out more info. I highly recommend sending kids for lessons, before expecting themselves to enjoy the ice on their own.

my kids are boys, so their schedule is more limited. Your girls did group lessons? I’d love to sign them up for lessons

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 8:38 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
Do the kids know how to roller skate? Ice skating is not exactly the same, but it's similar enough that those who can roller skate have some advantage.

No Sad

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 9:19 am
amother OP wrote:
my kids are boys, so their schedule is more limited. Your girls did group lessons? I’d love to sign them up for lessons

Yes, my girls took group lessons at Winding River. Back in the day someone started a frum group which my two older girls joined. With my little one, I sent her to a group that was not Jewish. She was young and I stayed and watched her.

I have seen people hire one of the instructors privately (my sister has done this). You could hire them to teach your boys together at a mutually convenient (though it would be during public skating time.)

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 9:27 am
Chayalle wrote:
Yes, my girls took group lessons at Winding River. Back in the day someone started a frum group which my two older girls joined. With my little one, I sent her to a group that was not Jewish. She was young and I stayed and watched her.

I have seen people hire one of the instructors privately (my sister has done this). You could hire them to teach your boys together at a mutually convenient (though it would be during public skating time.)

Ty
I’ll reach out to them to find out more info about that.

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 9:27 am
My girls, 7 and 10, figured it out on their own pretty quickly. But they both were good at rollerblading and I think once they got the feel for the ice skates, they did really well I think because they had the rollerblading background.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries