Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Con Edison

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 2:13 pm
Hi,

We have been struggling financially for the last year. We couldn’t manage to pay our Con Edison bills…Its been piling up month after month. We received a notice from Con Edison that they will shut off our electricity. I’m scared… anyone knows if they really shut off electricity?
I tried calling them to see if we can work something out but I wasn’t successful…
Can they really just shutdown your electricity??
No legal ramifications?

happy chick

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 2:15 pm
They can. And they will. They don't need access to your meter, they can turn it off through the system.

I'm so sorry you're going through hard times. Try calling again and making a payment agreement plan.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 2:27 pm
Yes, they will shut it off. There’s no legal ramifications because people aren’t entitled to free electricity

Try calling again, or better yet just go online to your account and create a payment plan. There is no way to keep your electric on though without making any payments to them

lavendar310

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 2:39 pm
I'm pretty sure you could get star or some energy program to reduce your bill. And definitly reach out and see what can be done. Hashem should get you through this nisayon quickly!!

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 2:54 pm
lavendar310 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you could get star or some energy program to reduce your bill. And definitly reach out and see what can be done. Hashem should get you through this nisayon quickly!!

Thank you

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 3:00 pm
They will shut it off. It's happened to us more than once. Sometimes in the winter if you are reliant on electricity for heat and have small children at home it can be postponed but yeah they'll shut it off.

You can and should call them about making a payment plan. They are usually happy to work with you.

happy12

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 3:04 pm
If you live in NY you can reach out to Met Council or COJO or other organizations, they may be able to help with a 1 time payment towards your bill if you have a shut off notice.

amother
Midnight

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 5:56 pm
lavendar310 wrote:

Which one is reliable? There are so many and I never know who to trust?

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 10:30 pm
happy12 wrote:
If you live in NY you can reach out to Met Council or COJO or other organizations, they may be able to help with a 1 time payment towards your bill if you have a shut off notice.

Thank you

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 12:42 am
You can get $200 for National Grid and $200 for Con Ed from Heartshare, if you're eligible. You can call them at 718-422-4207. Have your account numbers handy. I think one of requirements is that you have a turn-off notice.

Payment agreement is probably best option, but once you make a payment agreement you might not be eligible for certain grants. HRA also has option of giving help, but I was never successful with that.

FYI, Coned sends more than one turn off notice before they take action. You can also call them to ask to give you more time if you applied for help and need more time.

Hatzlacha!

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 1:47 am
amother Brickred wrote:
You can get $200 for National Grid and $200 for Con Ed from Heartshare, if you're eligible. You can call them at 718-422-4207. Have your account numbers handy. I think one of requirements is that you have a turn-off notice.

Payment agreement is probably best option, but once you make a payment agreement you might not be eligible for certain grants. HRA also has option of giving help, but I was never successful with that.

FYI, Coned sends more than one turn off notice before they take action. You can also call them to ask to give you more time if you applied for help and need more time.

Hatzlacha!

Thank you so much for this information!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics