Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Will I regret putting in hardwood on main floor?

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:24 am
I am doing a pretty big construction project on my house and I really hope to never ever have to do anything again. I am also really trying to keep it on a budget and be as practical as possible.

We are leaving the existing kitchen in and that has a ceramic tile that looks like hardwood. The rest of the main floor is a decent size entrance way and from there you walk directly to the living room dining room, or there is a hallway to get to the kitchen. The family is right behind the living room dining room and it’s very open so we can iyh use all as one big room for simchos.

I am thinking of just doing everything the same hardwood. I don’t want to do laminate even if it’s cheaper because that’s not forever. In a perfect world I’d have the same tile floor extend from foyer to hallway to kitchen but I’m not touching my kitchen. Tile is more practical for the entrance and hall but then I think there may jsut be too many different floors going on, if I have a separate floor for kitchen, hallway
And entrance, and everything else. Also, it comes out cheaper for me to use hardwood over tile.

My kids range from 2-12, I don’t have tons of cleaning help. Will I regret sticking hardwood in high traffic areas? I can always get a big entrance mat for the foyer…

amother
Yellow  

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:31 am
I would do hardwood

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:31 am
Wjy would you regret putting down hardwood floors.?

I have hardwood floors all over my house, upstairs and downstairs, including my kitchen.

I like it, only thing is the darker the color the dustier it gets..

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:33 am
I have hardwood in hallway and living dining room for seven years and bH looks great still. We are careful ie no scratchy toys etc

amother
Heather

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:34 am
I have wood look laminate for 15 years and it still looks perfect and that’s with kids that have made halls in my walls and destroyed plenty of things but the floors holding up beautifully. I’m sure replacing it one day will be a big job but so I refinishing wood floors so I don’t see that as a drawback.

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:35 am
I’m nervous about the maintenance. My kids totally use riding toys and even occasionally roller blade inside the house. I don’t want them to get scratched and I’ll
Be upset. I’d rather a no maintenance floor in theory but I think hardwood makes more sense given the circumstances….

I would do a white oak type wood.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:36 am
Do a good quality hardwood floor. As long as it’a not in the kitchen

amother
Aquamarine  

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:39 am
I would do marble.

Hardwood needs a lot of upkeep.

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:45 am
Marble turns color you have to replace it

amother
Fern

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:46 am
If scratches will make you upset and strict it isn’t worth it.

mompower

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:47 am
Definitely wood!

It’s so warm and inviting

amother
  Yellow

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:49 am
Stone with little kids is scary for me

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:50 am
Hardwood gets scratched so easily!

amother
Floralwhite  

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:33 am
I love wood so much.
But idk we re-did our wood floors 3 or 4 times. All different stains. I have a Houseful of boys and my floors would be completely scratched in a matter or months. I got so fed up I now have beautiful huge matte porcelain tiles and I'm thrilled. So easy to clean. The kids ride their scooters and toys all over and not a scratch. I've been to other peoples house and their wood never looked as bad as ours so I have no clue what we were doing wrong. Or if maybe my kids are just extra rough on our floors.

amother
  Floralwhite

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:34 am
amother Floralwhite wrote:
I love wood so much.
But idk we re-did our wood floors 3 or 4 times. All different stains. I have a Houseful of boys and my floors would be completely scratched in a matter or months. I got so fed up I now have beautiful huge matte porcelain tiles and I'm thrilled. So easy to clean. The kids ride their scooters and toys all over and not a scratch. I've been to other peoples house and their wood never looked as bad as ours so I have no clue what we were doing wrong. Or if maybe my kids are just extra rough on our floors.

Omg white oak is my dream!!! So fresh and clean. But would be a disaster in my house.

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 12:44 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
I would do marble.

Hardwood needs a lot of upkeep.

marble is really hard on the knees. don't think we were meant to walk on marble on a regular basis.

amother
  Aquamarine

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 12:49 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
Marble turns color you have to replace it

I meant to write porcelain.

Something like this.
https://www.litfad.com/modern-.....D_BwE

Of course you can do a more practical color but its so inviting fresh and easy to upkeep.

fig

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 10:05 pm
There’s prefinished hardwood floors that holds up way more than the wood floors that get finished after installation.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 10:08 pm
I have hardwood and don't regret it. But you can't expect to have hardwood forever without touch ups. And touch ups involve major upheaval in the home.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 10:08 pm
hate my wood floors
I have porcelain tile in kitchen and entrance that is great. My wood floor in dining room, living room and den I do not like one bit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics