Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby will not sleep

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 1:40 pm
My 4 month old baby does not know how to sleep. Yesterday he went 9 hours straight with only a 5 minute nap in between. And I was holding him for those 5 minutes. He will not sleep alone. He will only sleep if he's nursing, and it's not because he's hungry, it's for comfort. He's been like this since birth and I'm losing my mind. At night he wakes up every hour to nurse for comfort and will only sleep that hour in between if he's in my bed. Naps are only in my hands. The crib is literally brand new, not used. I've been trying to put him to sleep for the past hour now and the minute I detach him from my breast he's up. My nipples are so sore and I can't get anything done. He takes a pacifier but not to sleep. How do I get him to sleep?
Re: letting him cry it out, first of all I hate that, and second, I've had a situation where I couldn't take care of him for an hour and he screamed the entire hour, getting louder throughout, so he's too stubborn for that to work anyway.

amother
Jean  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 1:47 pm
Did you ever try rocking him in a carriage? Or taking him for a long walk?

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 1:52 pm
My youngest did not sleep. We tried everything, nothing worked. He's 5 years old now & still isn't a good sleeper. He's still not sleeping through the night. It's a miracle that we stayed sane bh. I didn't sleep through the night in over 5 years.
I've been on BC because I cannot see myself getting up to 2 kids in the night.
Good luck OP!
Perhaps try giving him a couple of formula bottles a day, it may help him sleep.
If he doesn't take a pacifier, you can try that.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 1:53 pm
amother Jean wrote:
Did you ever try rocking him in a carriage? Or taking him for a long walk?

Yes. Doesn't help. The most that ever happened was a 5 minute nap. Once.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 1:55 pm
amother Latte wrote:
My youngest did not sleep. We tried everything, nothing worked. He's 5 years old now & still isn't a good sleeper. He's still not sleeping through the night. It's a miracle that we stayed sane bh. I didn't sleep through the night in over 5 years.
I've been on BC because I cannot see myself getting up to 2 kids in the night.
Good luck OP!
Perhaps try giving him a couple of formula bottles a day, it may help him sleep.
If he doesn't take a pacifier, you can try that.

Noooo.
I tried formula, no difference. And he does take a pacifier but only when he wants to.

My other kids are also really bad sleepers and I haven't slept through the night in almost 9 years but not like this at this age.

amother
Snowdrop  

amother OP wrote:
My 4 month old baby does not know how to sleep. Yesterday he went 9 hours straight with only a 5 minute nap in between. And I was holding him for those 5 minutes. He will not sleep alone. He will only sleep if he's nursing, and it's not because he's hungry, it's for comfort. He's been like this since birth and I'm losing my mind. At night he wakes up every hour to nurse for comfort and will only sleep that hour in between if he's in my bed. Naps are only in my hands. The crib is literally brand new, not used. I've been trying to put him to sleep for the past hour now and the minute I detach him from my breast he's up. My nipples are so sore and I can't get anything done. He takes a pacifier but not to sleep. How do I get him to sleep?
Re: letting him cry it out, first of all I hate that, and second, I've had a situation where I couldn't take care of him for an hour and he screamed the entire hour, getting louder throughout, so he's too stubborn for that to work anyway.

Are you sure you’re producing enough milk? Can you pump and see how much you get? Because it could be he’s actually hungry that’s why he wants to nurse and maybe you don’t have enough. Should be about 6 oz a feed

amother
  Jean

Does he have reflux? A tongue tie?

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 1:57 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Are you sure you’re producing enough milk? Can you pump and see how much you get? Because it could be he’s actually hungry that’s why he wants to nurse and maybe you don’t have enough. Should be about 6 oz a feed

I think I am. But maybe he doesn't eat enough at a time? Because even when I do formula he'll only drink 1.5 oz. And he's gaining nicely, he's a big baby bh.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 1:58 pm
amother Jean wrote:
Does he have reflux? A tongue tie?

No reflux. Tongue tie was taken care of.

amother
  Snowdrop

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 2:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
I think I am. But maybe he doesn't eat enough at a time? Because even when I do formula he'll only drink 1.5 oz. And he's gaining nicely, he's a big baby bh.

Try to pump and see how much you get, I always exclusively nursed my babies and they never slept! My last one I used formula and baby slept so well, so it makes me wonder if I didn’t have enough to get them to sleep for stretches

mom1st

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 2:31 pm
amother OP wrote:

I had a baby like this.
She wouldn't nurse more than a few minutes and would wake up hourly.
I tried bottle but she would barely drink. Than I got a new teat for the bottle. This was meant for 6 month old with bigger flow and suddenly she slept 3 hours straight. She just couldn't or wouldn't drink long enough with a slower flow and she stayed hungry despite gaining weight.
Try it.
Hatzlacha
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics