Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Girls Sleepaway Camps- Recommend Some To Me!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  Marigold

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 2:17 pm
amother Clover wrote:
I don't think sternberg has the yeshivish crowd that it had 20-30 years ago. my niece goes there and she would wear short sleeves, short socks, I think. I could be wrong....
what about camp bais yaakov?

second half of sternberg is more to the right then the first half but don't know if it's right enough.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 2:29 pm
Sternberg definitely sounds like it could be a good fit!

amother
  Pear  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 2:33 pm
amother Clover wrote:
I don't think sternberg has the yeshivish crowd that it had 20-30 years ago. my niece goes there and she would wear short sleeves, short socks, I think. I could be wrong....

I keep hearing this on imamother, but it is certainly not true.
My daughter is there now (and I went 20 years ago, so I can compare).
Theres still a mix between yeshivish and more jpf.
About 1/4 or 1/3 of the girls wear knee socks, the rest wear short socks.
No short sleeves are allowed and the girls who go there do not wear short sleeves at home either.

ETA we send 2nd half, but I would be fine sending 1st half as well. Its a wonderful camp

amother
  Clover

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 2:55 pm
amother Pear wrote:
No short sleeves are allowed and the girls who go there do not wear short sleeves at home either.

ETA we send 2nd half, but I would be fine sending 1st half as well. Its a wonderful camp

Good to know! Ty for correcting me

nicole81  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 4:04 pm
My daughter is at Sternberg now. Based on the pictures she's in the minority with knee socks, but she went with 5 oot yeshivish girls in her bunk.

amother
White

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 4:29 pm
amother Clover wrote:

I think thry get all kinds of girls from all over; it’s just their tznius rules are more relaxed so you will have some more modern girls- like they allow short socks. I don’t believe short sleeves though after bat mitzvah.

nicole81  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 4:36 pm
amother White wrote:
I think thry get all kinds of girls from all over; it’s just their tznius rules are more relaxed so you will have some more modern girls- like they allow short socks. I don’t believe short sleeves though after bat mitzvah.

Definitely no short sleeves

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 4:42 pm
I find it odd to associate short socks and short sleeves. The people I know who wear short sleeves don't consider any socks to be required at all. Even many people who cover the elbow don't hold that any socks are required.

Is there some segment out there that wears short sleeves and is also makpid to wear short socks?

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 4:48 pm
What I’ve learned from this conversation is that apparently my beige tights wearing chasidish self went to a “ left end of the bais yaakov spectrum camp” idk if I should laugh or cry
Whatever camp you choose will provide a dress code. Whether or not it’s what you do at home you follow in camp.
My daughter is in tubby which we are thrilled with but probably more right wing than you would be comfortable with

emee2

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 5:31 pm
imacoolmom wrote:
Ohr Chedvah, Raninu, Bnoseinu may all be a great fit

Bnoseinu is very jappy! But either way I don’t think it’s for OPs age. I think she is already Bnos age and Bnos sounds a bit too right wing.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 6:40 pm
We sent two happy girls to sternberg and recommend it highly.

amother
  Candycane

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 7:05 pm
amother Pear wrote:

Sternberg first half definitely has girls who wear short sleeves out of camp, I’m related to some of them. Second half is more OOT yeshivish though.

ETA I went as a camper and loved it! I grew up less yeshivish than I currently am now, so I’m not sure if I would send my dd. We are OOT yeshivish, I would look into only second half.

Chayalle  

Post Mon, Aug 12 2024, 8:07 am
amother Aster wrote:
Whatever camp you choose will provide a dress code. Whether or not it’s what you do at home you follow in camp.
My daughter is in tubby which we are thrilled with but probably more right wing than you would be comfortable with

Some people would want their girls to go to a camp where more or less the girls are in sync at home with the dress code in camp. Like if a camp has a contingent of girls who wear short-sleeves at home, even if they follow the long-sleeves dress code in camp, my daughter wouldn't feel comfortable there.
Camp Chaviva might also be a good fit for you OP. However, I would suggest, as another poster suggested, that you find out where people like you are sending their daughters. That is likely to be the best suggestion. There are so many nuances, and we can't know from a brief online description.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Aug 12 2024, 8:09 am
sounds like Sternberg is the one for you

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Aug 12 2024, 8:28 am
Sternberg is also very old and run down accomodations, you have to be good with that if you send.

amother
  Pear

Post Mon, Aug 12 2024, 8:52 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Sternberg is also very old and run down accomodations, you have to be good with that if you send.

True and not true.
The sternberg mentality is a very non-jappy, low maintainence, learn to rough it out and tough it out mentality. The girls hike through mud, smear dirt on their faces, are proud to be tough.
So the camp, even when it is freshly renovated etc, will not be making fancy bunkhouses and buildings. Yes, the showerhouses will have plywood doors and there will be spiders galore etc . Its part of the vibe.

However, its not actually run-down or dilapidated.
They have a gorgeous new trampoline system on their lake, a new rock climbing wall and zipline system, ATVs, etc etc.

So I wouldnt really call it run down.
More like a boys scouts style camp, old fashioned and wholesome. But what they prioritize as important, they upgrade. Whatever doesnt look sleek and modern is purposely done.

thedudette

Post Mon, Aug 12 2024, 9:07 am
I went to Sternberg 20 years ago and my daughter is there now for the first time this second half. I just spoke to her and she absolutely loves it. I would definitely say it’s a mix of girls and all around a very wholesome low maintenance environment while they certainly upgraded a lot of their amenities - I did not want to send my daughter to any place where the girls were high maintenance which nixed most other options. Also, seems to have a ton of achdus which I’m very happy did not change since my day. Highly highly recommend!

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 12 2024, 12:17 pm
So, I've asked around and it sounds like most girls go to Tehilla or Sternberg 2nd half. I've heard nice things about Tehilla but it seems like it might be a little too Yeshivish- not sure. I just don't like that there is no website, that it can be hard to get into. I don't love the idea of having to track someone down to get an application and I can't even see pictures or read about it on a website. I'm sure it is a lovely place- but maybe not for us. Everyone who sends to Sternberg is very happy and similar in terms of hashkafa to us. I guess my only concern is if it will be a crowd that is more to the left of us....

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Aug 12 2024, 12:46 pm
I know a few girls who went to tehilla. They are all yeshivish and would never not wear socks. They wear knee socks out of school

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 12 2024, 1:10 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
I know a few girls who went to tehilla. They are all yeshivish and would never not wear socks. They wear knee socks out of school

OP didn't mention if her DD would wear no socks or short socks.
I know girls who go to Camp Tehila who would wear mid-calf socks.
It's a chilled, non-Jappy type of crowd. DD has good friends from BK (Lakewood) who go there. Really nice girls. Not super-yeshivish, but very nice frum girls.
I would have sent my DD there in a heartbeat, had she wanted to go.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps