Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do Kalie tzom really work?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Brit in Israel  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 10:20 am
Thanks for everyone who wrote about the slow release caffeine pills.
We bought them last yr but didn't use them and DH was about to use them this yr as he doesn't want to go buy the caffeine suppositories as the pharmacy is out the way.
I just read this thread now and no way letting him take it.

zoom  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 10:21 am
I took the caffeine ones last yom kippur and they really helped me.

ces

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 10:53 am
I'm a terrible faster but fast aid caffeine and acetaminophen slow release made a huge difference for me, really helped.

ittsamother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 11:00 am
Another vote for lots of Gatorade. If I'm really good we'll start drinking it a couple days in advance, we make sure we get a lot in, I saw a huge difference the time we completely forgot to get any.

zoom  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 11:02 am
ittsamother wrote:
Another vote for lots of Gatorade. If I'm really good we'll start drinking it a couple days in advance, we make sure we get a lot in, I saw a huge difference the time we completely forgot to get any.

What is the equivalent of gatorade in UK?

is it just regular lucozade?

Doesnt it keep you up?

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 11:07 am
zoom wrote:
What is the equivalent of gatorade in UK?

is it just regular lucozade?

Doesnt it keep you up?

I looked it up, seems like some Gatorade is available in the UK. Does Lucozade have caffeine? Gatorade does not.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 11:22 am
I tried kali tzom years ago and it was my worst fast ever. And post fast every worse.

I take oligo by tahua for a few days prior. A cqpful 3x a day. And 3 days after. (It tastes delicious btw. W natural black cherry extract for flavoring)
I usually fast ok. Especially in pregnancy
but post fast I'm a shmatta for a week. Btwn yom kippur and succos I'm so sick. I always have to cook for succos before yom kippur because all in capable of is making sure my kids are fed and have clean laundry.
But since I started taking oligo, the day post fast I'm a little weak but after that im back to myself. It's crazy.
I also drink electrolyte a few days before and after.
But that I've been doing since I was a teen. It helped me not get dehydrated. But I was still a shmatta after.

amother
  Poinsettia  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 11:24 am
The slow release ibuprofen helps me a lot but I didn’t have good results with the slow release caffeine. Excellent results with caffeine suppository.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 11:25 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
I read the ingredients of Kalei Tzom one year and discovered that it is basically made from a lot of different vitamins. I took a few multivitamins before the fast and I really felt good throughout. That’s what I’ve been doing. A few multivitamins plus whatever else I happen to have around.
Another trick I have is caffeine suppositories. I can’t believe what a difference it can be. My pharmacy and many frum pharmacies sell a caffeine and Tylenol mixture (suppository). It works wonders. I cringe before I use it but it’s so worth it.
Please aylor about the suppositories. Its not so simple. Saying it as someone that used to take them and has stopped.

amother
  Poinsettia

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 11:30 am
amother Dahlia wrote:
Please aylor about the suppositories. Its not so simple. Saying it as someone that used to take them and has stopped.

Can you explain what the problem could be?

Leahh

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:00 pm
Brit in Israel wrote:
Thanks for everyone who wrote about the slow release caffeine pills.
We bought them last yr but didn't use them and DH was about to use them this yr as he doesn't want to go buy the caffeine suppositories as the pharmacy is out the way.
I just read this thread now and no way letting him take it.

I don't think you should base usage on this thread.
You're taking a handful of experiences, out of thousands or more, and making assumptions off that.
In general, people tend to say negative more than positive. Look at all the BC threads on here. How many are people complaining of the negative side effects? Yet so many people take the same ones without any negative side effects.
I think you need to try for yourself to know how YOU (or in this case your husband) will react.
If it works for him and truly makes the fast easier why deprive him based on a handful of negative comments!?

Brit in Israel  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:05 pm
Leahh wrote:
I don't think you should base usage on this thread.
You're taking a handful of experiences, out of thousands or more, and making assumptions off that.
In general, people tend to say negative more than positive. Look at all the BC threads on here. How many are people complaining of the negative side effects? Yet so many people take the same ones without any negative side effects.
I think you need to try for yourself to know how YOU (or in this case your husband) will react.
If it works for him and truly makes the fast easier why deprive him based on a handful of negative comments!?

We have always had such good results from suppositories id rather drive 20 mins out the way and get them for Tisha baav and also have it for Yom Kippur.
Maybe we will try them on a smaller fast where it's not as problematic if he doesn't sleep at night or feels ill and can break the fast easier.
We didn't use them last yr because of this but forgot to try them during the year.

zoom  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:23 pm
Thanks daageminayon.

Do you use the suppositories ON the fast or before?

I wonder if they are available in UK.

DOes it help to have gatorade just on erev the fast?
And how much should one have?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:25 pm
Ive used the kalei tzom for nursing years ago and it helped me not feel crazy hungry. These days I take the time release tylenol...and fast pretty well with it. My husband took caffeine time release and its woken him up extra early in the morning.

Brit in Israel  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:37 pm
zoom wrote:
Thanks daageminayon.

Do you use the suppositories ON the fast or before?

I wonder if they are available in UK.

DOes it help to have gatorade just on erev the fast?
And how much should one have?

Suppositories are very difficult to get in the UK in general for babies, id be surprised if caffeine ones were available.
You take them during the fast.
(I was given one by my sil on YK when I was 4 months pp and nursing gave bottle also on YK but baby wasn't happy, I got so ill DH and mil was deciding who was going to stay home for the rest of yk. 20 mins after taking it they both went back to shul and I was looking after my baby, 2 yr old and nephew 6 weeks. It was a miracle cure, I think it was with Tylenol also. Haven't gone a YK or TB not pregnant without it.)

Drink alot of pineapple drink in the UK and also 7 up /sprite, its similar to Gatorade, for the sugar &salt combination.
I don't know if they still do it but durolite ( I think it was that) for diarrhea was meant to also have the same results.
It's making sure you have enough salts and sugars not to dehydrate

zoom

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:41 pm
Brit in Israel wrote:
Suppositories are very difficult to get in the UK in general for babies, id be surprised if caffeine ones were available.
You take them during the fast.
(I was given one by my sil on YK when I was 4 months pp and nursing gave bottle also on YK but baby wasn't happy, I got so ill DH and mil was deciding who was going to stay home for the rest of yk. 20 mins after taking it they both went back to shul and I was looking after my baby, 2 yr old and nephew 6 weeks. It was a miracle cure, I think it was with Tylenol also. Haven't gone a YK or TB not pregnant without it.)

Drink alot of pineapple drink in the UK and also 7 up /sprite, its similar to Gatorade, for the sugar &salt combination.
I don't know if they still do it but durolite ( I think it was that) for diarrhea was meant to also have the same results.
It's making sure you have enough salts and sugars not to dehydrate

Thanks so much!

I took diaorolyte once and felt awful with it.
I made the whole sachet and had it all before the fast.
Maybe I was meant to have it throughout the day...?

I wonder if Id be allowed to take suppositories on the fast.
I once asked about a caffeine pill and was told no.
Its possible its similar to having IV fluids.

amother
Snowdrop  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 2:17 pm
Here in Israel I've seen 2 types of caffeine pills available: The ones from the Toronto kollel and Israeli ones.

The Toronto ones are great. I know many people who take them and LOVE them. You can take them before YK or Tisha B'av and they only kick in the next morning. No headache at all.

The Israeli ones claim to be slow release but many people including myself find that they kick in soon after taking them. Because they're cheaper than the Toronto ones I use those for minor fast days - wake up early and take.

Never had any nausea or felt sick with either kind.

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 3:14 pm
I’m reading the posts and so surprised that some have had negative reaction to the slow release pills.

Dh and I have taken them for a few years now (Fastaid brand for the Toronto Kollel) and we’ve had such amazing fasts!! They completely take away the fast headache! I’ve slept late with no issues!

We started taking caffeine and Tylenol but then cut back to just caffeine pills with great results! This year I saw they came out with electrolytes which I think I will take for pregnancy.

Growing

Post Mon, Aug 12 2024, 5:39 am
I also used fastaid surprisingly well and plan to do so again

Brit in Israel

Post Mon, Aug 12 2024, 5:42 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Here in Israel I've seen 2 types of caffeine pills available: The ones from the Toronto kollel and Israeli ones.

The Toronto ones are great. I know many people who take them and LOVE them. You can take them before YK or Tisha B'av and they only kick in the next morning. No headache at all.

The Israeli ones claim to be slow release but many people including myself find that they kick in soon after taking them. Because they're cheaper than the Toronto ones I use those for minor fast days - wake up early and take.

Never had any nausea or felt sick with either kind.

Where can you get the Toronto Kollel ones in Israel?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note