Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do Kalie tzom really work?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 10:32 pm
I’m not a great faster. It’s not because I am having caffeine withdrawal because I don’t usually have caffeine. So will the pills still work for me?

amother
Charcoal

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 10:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m not a great faster. It’s not because I am having caffeine withdrawal because I don’t usually have caffeine. So will the pills still work for me?

not sure if they work but I highly recommend electrolytes! We buy bottles of pedialyte and drink those all day the day before a fast-dilute with water if too sweet. BH they really really help to fast ok

amother
Glitter  

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 11:06 pm
amother OP wrote:

We use it. I don't fast well. I thought maybe it doesn't do much and skipped one fast. I had a terrible fast and we don't skip anymore. Bought a package for this tisha b'av.

amother
Seashell  

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 11:07 pm
I find the pills from the Toronto kollel help.
I do drink coffee regularly so I take the caffeine and acetaminophen.
But they also have electrolytes. They may be worth trying

amother
Alyssum

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 11:18 pm
Just wanted to share that last yom kippur I bought caffeine extended release pills and I've never felt as sick as that fast until I threw up the pills late afternoon and felt a drop better.
I heard some ppl do well on it so I wanted to try, it was a disaster!!! I will obviously stay away!
(I don't think it was kalei tzom, it was caffeine pills.)

amother
Cognac

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 11:21 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
Just wanted to share that last yom kippur I bought caffeine extended release pills and I've never felt as sick as that fast until I threw up the pills late afternoon and felt a drop better.
I heard some ppl do well on it so I wanted to try, it was a disaster!!! I will obviously stay away!
And my husband couldn't sleep all Yom Kippur night when he took the caffeine pills. Oh well for extended release. But he does great on the extended release ibuprofen pills.

daagahminayin  

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 11:31 pm
I took the caffeine pills one Yon Kippur. Could not sleep that night, my brain went completely hyper. I wrote an entire masterpiece novel in my head. Forgot the entire thing by the next day. No more caffeine pills for me.

amother
  Glitter

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 11:37 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
I took the caffeine pills one Yon Kippur. Could not sleep that night, my brain went completely hyper. I wrote an entire masterpiece novel in my head. Forgot the entire thing by the next day. No more caffeine pills for me.

The slow release caffeine / acetaminophen pills are awful. They cause horrible headaches. That's why I take Kali Tzom

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 11:53 pm
daagahminayin wrote:

yeah, extended release, so I took them before the fast (tried them twice) and was up like 6 am the next morning. not a day I wanted to get up super early.

dvoras

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:08 am
Anyone that ever took the electrolyte pills?

daagahminayin  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:15 am
The past couple of fasts I took slow-release ibuprofen and kali tsom, as well as drinking electrolytes the day before. I fasted very well but all the pills are getting expensive so I’m going to omit the kali tsom this time. IYH it will work out…

amother
  Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:18 am
As with most things everyone's experience is unique.
I think its best to try these kinds of things on the minor fast days so if they have a negative effect and you need to break your fast you can.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:33 am
amother OP wrote:

Just drink lots of Powerade or Gatorade (we do the sugar free one) starting a full day before a taanis. It’s an absolute game changer.

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:47 am
I find that the kalei tzom or tzom Kal really really help me.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:51 am
I have found it really helps me and im not a coffee drinker. Kalei tzom isnt caffeine pills.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:53 am
I had a good experience with fastaid pills.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 3:13 am
I take them for years. Absolutely help!

amother
Poinsettia  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 6:05 am
I read the ingredients of Kalei Tzom one year and discovered that it is basically made from a lot of different vitamins. I took a few multivitamins before the fast and I really felt good throughout. That’s what I’ve been doing. A few multivitamins plus whatever else I happen to have around.
Another trick I have is caffeine suppositories. I can’t believe what a difference it can be. My pharmacy and many frum pharmacies sell a caffeine and Tylenol mixture (suppository). It works wonders. I cringe before I use it but it’s so worth it.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 9:17 am
Cheiny wrote:
Just drink lots of Powerade or Gatorade (we do the sugar free one) starting a full day before a taanis. It’s an absolute game changer.

I do the same and agree with you. It really changed up the day for me.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 9:24 am
amother Alyssum wrote:

Me too!! I was 8 months pregnant and nervous about the fast so I took fast aid for the first time. Spent the whole day in bed throwing up and had to drink shiurim (then threw that up too). Worst fast ever.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note