Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
First year period norms

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:13 am
My 13 year old daughter just got her period in June. She has long cycles. She had at least 5 real bleeding days before it became light. So 5-6 week cycles are not surprising. I also had very long cycles when I started. How many years does it take to start to get shorter. I can't remember. My 11 or 12 grade it definitely was more like 5 weeks and sometimes shorter but what's the norm? She is developing normally in other areas. I made sure to buy her lots of pads since the second period was in sleep away....at least the first one wasn't right?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:16 am
Everyone’s body is different there are no norms.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:16 am
My personal experience as that my first year was very consisten and then not until seminary! Looking back I was constantly going from diets and intense exercise to unhealthy eating on the other end so who know…
Long cycles are very Normal in the beginning.

Post sem I was not consistent until the few cycles before my wedding. BH no fertility issues now.

anonymous mom

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:17 am
5-6 weeks sounds pretty regular to me.

amother
Wandflower  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:18 am
Following.

This is interesting.

My 12 yo daughter just had her 1st period.
Im tracking it and wondet how it will go.

tweety1  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:19 am
Some people just have longer cycles. Dh has many sisters, most of them have longer cycles than this. They bh all have beautiful size families. Some of them become pregnant while nursing clean. I wouldn't even blink an eye about it.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:21 am
There is no norm. My first year they were somewhat spread out then every month after that. Dd was every 3 weeks from the beginning. Very frustrating for her.

amother
Jasmine  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:23 am
tweety1 wrote:
Some people just have longer cycles. Dh has many sisters, most of them have longer cycles than this. They bh all have beautiful size families. Some of them become pregnant while nursing clean. I wouldn't even blink an eye about it.

How do u know this lol can’t imagine discussing my cycle lengths with my sisn in laws

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:27 am
amother Wandflower wrote:
Following.

This is interesting.

My 12 yo daughter just had her 1st period.
Im tracking it and wondet how it will go.

Same. My 11.5 daughter just got hers for the first time too. It was interesting because it was a real flow for a good few days.
Waiting to see when she’ll get it next. I hope for her sake after camp!

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:28 am
Oh it's a good thing in terms of fertility. I always had at least 30 day cycles and get pregnant easily as a result. I just don't remember when they went from super long to long. A lot of bleeding is stressful even if it's normal.

amother
  Jasmine

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:34 am
It can take up to 6 years to regulate from the time a teen gets her period. Anything in this time frame is considered normal. After that cycle lengths above 35 days is considered abnormal and ‘could’ indicate a problem (not for sure but worth checking out)

tweety1

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:34 am
amother Jasmine wrote:
How do u know this lol can’t imagine discussing my cycle lengths with my sisn in laws

Over the years , gatherings, parties ya know yentas talk. Not specifically discussing cycles. Exp one sister said a story how she found out end of her 3rd beginning of her 4th month that she's pregnant because she can have very long cycles, another sister said how she was was very very sick and didn't know what's wrong with her. As far as she knew she was nursing clean. She then found out that there's a bun in the oven etc.

amother
  Wandflower

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:51 am
amother Crimson wrote:
Same. My 11.5 daughter just got hers for the first time too. It was interesting because it was a real flow for a good few days.
Waiting to see when she’ll get it next. I hope for her sake after camp!

Yea it was a proper flow for 3 days.

My daughter just turned 12. Bang on time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics