Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Is there a heter for listening to music??

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 4:02 pm
Please no bashing. I want to know if not being able to listen to music in the 9 days is halacha or chumra. I'm currently on a very restrictive diet and while it might come across as silly, the only thing that gets me through is listening to music. I didn't listen to music yesterday after zman and today all day and it's brutal.. I feel like I just can't.

ftm1234

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 4:04 pm
Ask a shayla.

I was told I can listen to music a few years ago

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 4:06 pm
I can't ask my rav. I doubt he'll permit it 😥

simcha12plus

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 4:07 pm
It is halacha.
HOWEVER, please call a rav.
just as a rav would give someone a heter to eat fleishigs for health, the rav might very well give you a heter to listen to music now too.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 5:11 pm
Just putting it out there that my husband was in the year after a parent during Covid and at some point I thought music will def lighten the mood. Remember we were all stuck indoors getting everything don’t for erev pesach, so I called up a very stringent rav and he made lots of noises and put on his thinking cap and at some point I asked him “I understand that he really shouldn’t, but these are not typical circumstances and I think it will greatly improve the shalom bais and the morale in the house” and he okd it

amother
Waterlily

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 5:32 pm
Why are you on a restrictive diet? Medical reasons?

What about an interesting podcast instead?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 5:44 pm
Yes for medical reasons. Not interested in podcasts. I.NEED.MUSIC!!!! Banging head

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 5:45 pm
My husband said if it's affecting my nerves I'm allowed to listen to music. But he won't actually call the rav. He said he doesn't want to. Neither do I. I don't want to get a no.

behappy2

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 5:47 pm
There is a difference between live music and recorded music and then there is Acapella

Why don't you call a different Rav?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 6:14 pm
I have the same question
I cant exercise without music

amother
Daphne  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 6:17 pm
Can you listen to acapella music? That's what I do. I can give examples of good ones if that's helpful

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 6:29 pm
amother Daphne wrote:
Can you listen to acapella music? That's what I do. I can give examples of good ones if that's helpful
Please share 🙏

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 6:40 pm
Please ask your Rav. My husband was given a heter by a very stringent Rav, that he can listen to music on a long drive to keep him awake.

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 7:03 pm
Chaim Berlin holds you just can’t listen to live music. I was told I’m allowed to put on for very little kids and once I’m putting it on it can be music I enjoy too.

amother
  Daphne

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 7:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Please share 🙏

Thank you Hashem put out an album called healing melodies which I'm enjoying- especially the song yidden

A Kumzitz in the Rain has amazing albums- they're really talented- there are a lot of them and they're so hartzig

Ari Goldwag has multiple acapella albums- the acapella soul ones are more upbeat and he puts out updated ones every year or so, so it's updated. Recent one was put out April 2024
More solemn one is called darkness to redemption

Uri Davidi has some acapella songs

Simcha Leiner also has acapella - shirei nechama and kol hakavod

Hope this is helpful! Let me know if you want more ideas

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 8:29 pm
Since covid my teen has had anxiety. Our child composes and plays music. Our Rav said dc can listen to and play music if that will help lessen the anxiety and keep dc spirits up.

If your diet is due to medical reasons then you may be able to get a heter along similar reasoning. If your Rav is not someone who would give a heter and is very stringent, you can reach out to another Rav. You can even call anonymously when stating the relevant information.

salt

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 10:25 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
I have the same question
I cant exercise without music

Why not?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note