Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Need Grand Idea for Siyums
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 7:16 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My boys love lachmagine as a starter when I make it for Yom Tov, you can do it as a side instead.
Scalloped potatoes look nice (until everyone digs in!) and they go over well too but it's a drop time consuming
I saute onion, cinnamon, craisins, slivered almonds, salt, brown sugar and mix it into basmati rice (either white or yellow from turmeric)
Thank you, how do you make lachmagine?

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 7:19 am
Fire poppers
Sesame chicken
Crispy beef
Franks in blanks
Shwarma

mommyla

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 7:24 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
Actually, OP is correct. The classic use of "entree" IS what you are calling "starter" - the dish before the main. Here, many ppl use it to mean the main....but it actually means the entree (as in starter).

This is actually location-specific. In North America, an entree is the main dish. In the UK and Australia, "entree" refers to an appetizer course. In its original French form, it refers to the first of several main courses in a multi-course dinner. (Sorry, I'm an etymology nerd.)

Mazel tov OP! You have some delicious ideas here!

bellaball

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 7:25 am
amother OP wrote:
My boys are making Siyums and I would like to get some ideas for relatively easy things to make that are very showy.

I want to show them that I appreciate that they learned and I want to encourage them to learn more.

Any ideas for an entree that can be on the table that makes a statement?

Any other ideas for how I can take a simple side dish and upgrade it?

Thank you!

Mazel tov!

It is for a large crowd or just your family?

You can prepare chummus platters on the table with fresh rolls and twists.

Liver with mashed beans works well and can be on the table (not too much in advance as liver spoils easily) but it doesn’t have to be hot served fresh.
Or tongue with mashed beans. (But this can get pricey)

I personally find soup to be unnecessary in the summer but if you want to serve soup maybe do something light. Like cauliflower soup.

For the main depends how many people and budget.
Spare ribs/flanken roast/ French roast
For a pretty plate , you can do French fries , steak, and broccoli or carrots or any side for color.
You can also do sesame chicken with rice as another option.

What men really love?
Some sort of meat, with delicious potato kugel. Always a win.

Make sure to have cole slaw, pickles on the table. And of course cold cans of coke.

As for dessert, I find sorbet or some easy cleansing thing works better than a heavy cake.

Maybe small cookies with scoop of ices.

I’m getting in the mood of making all these stuff!
Hatzlacha!

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 7:30 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I hate to say this but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some siyumim are contrived. But others really are the real deal, and they are genuine causes for celebration.

This.
We don’t do plannned siyum but if it falls out then we hold you should do it then.
Like mishna yomi cycle ends during the nine days. I think bedavka you should make a siyum if it finishes during the nine days

Mazel tov on your sons siyum regardless.

Appetizer ideas depending on what boys like:

Plated meat or grilled chicken salad.
layered sushi salad.
2 color smoothie cup
Shishkabobs over rice
Individual Chummus and ground meat platters with pita chips (did this recently was a huge hit)

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 7:35 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
We don’t do plannned siyum but if it falls out then we hold you should do it then.

Same.

Outside of the nine days, I've been told it's fine to delay a siyum for a more convenient time, even if it is quite a long delay and one has already gone on to learning the next masechet or seder mishna by the time the siyum for the previous one actually occurs. But I wouldn't do that to push a siyum into the nine days.

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 7:39 am
I love this pulled beef recipe, really easy.
I serve it either in taccos on the metal taco tray sprinkles with bbq sauce and ceasar dressing or I make it in to meat pizza (ill write the recipe below)

Pulled Beef:
Buy Dekel roast or 2nd cut brisket (needs to be preordered. its pricy but I get a lot and it freezes well)
Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides, cover and bake on 350 for 3 hours

Sauce:
Half cup honey
Half cup mayonnaise
Half cup duck sauce (spicy is better)
Half cup ketchup
1 Tb mustard
1 Tb lemon juice

Shred meat well with 2 forks
Cover meat with sauce
Bake covered on 280 for half hour
Mix and serve in tacos
Can be topped with saladmate spicy bbq sauce and caesar dressing

Meat pizza:
I but the pass pizza crusts, I love how they bake- crispy rim and soft inside
I smear a thin layer of mayo
spread pulled beef over it (I put on gloves to shred it even better)
sprinkle bbq sauce
bake on 350 for 20 min
sprinkle ceasar dressing
cut with pizza wheel
its yummmm

Enjoy

PinkFridge  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 7:41 am
amother OP wrote:
bump

I don't know if they need new and innovative. They need tasty and abundant and will appreciate that effort went into it.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 7:42 am
When my oldest finishes a mascheta I make what he likes the most for dinner. His top two requests are steak, and chinese food, once he wanted an ice cream sundae I would not normally spend that kind of money on. But I make the food I know he enjoys.

PinkFridge  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 7:42 am
amother Nasturtium wrote:
Even the “contrived” ones-there are some shitas by real people that it’s a good thing to minimize the mourning as much as possible, especially with simchas haTorah. So if you’re going to stretch your siyum to a few days before or a few days after it was “supposed” to be, this is actually preferred. Not how I hold but it’s a legit halachic opinion.

Thanks. I was thinking maybe I shouldn't have even said that. It needed a dlkz.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 11:16 am
mommyla wrote:
This is actually location-specific. In North America, an entree is the main dish. In the UK and Australia, "entree" refers to an appetizer course. In its original French form, it refers to the first of several main courses in a multi-course dinner. (Sorry, I'm an etymology nerd.)

Mazel tov OP! You have some delicious ideas here!

Not in the North America that I live in Wink
Maybe decades ago- but not anymore!

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 5:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you, how do you make lachmagine?

I use this recipe, it doesn't take long at all to make a lot

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 6:52 pm
Thank you all for your contributions.
Will only be for immediate family.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 6:52 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I use this recipe, it doesn't take long at all to make a lot

Link didn't copy for some reason, sorry!
https://jamiegeller.com/recipe.....pies/

kenz

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 7:20 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you, a recipe would be appreciated.

Sorry for the delay. It’s actually from The Kosher Palette 2.
2 tblspns vegetable oil, divided
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 bunch scallions, chopped (I often omit this though it does add to the dish)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
12 oz pastrami, shredded I to thin strips
6 oz sliced smoked turkey, shredded into thin strips
6 cups cooked white rice (I use arborio)
1/2 to 1 tablespoon soy sauce, divided

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs and cook, stirring constantly. Remove from pan and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add scallions, garlic, pastrami, and turkey and sauté until scallions are tender. Remove from heat.
Stir in rice and reserved eggs. Add soy sauce to taste.
Enjoy!
As long as it’s sealed well it reheats very nicely. Just don’t let the rice get hard.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 9:59 am
Thank you

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 10:57 am
Check out today's Halacha Yomit at the OU. It addresses siyumim during the Nine Days. You can find it on the OU website under topic "Nine Days."

Cheiny

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 11:02 am
amother Bone wrote:
Siyums in the 9 day’s rub me wrong.
We have one every year for a yartzheit, and my uncle who is a very prominent rav insists on keeping it milchigs. Even though we could technically have fleishigs
I feel like it’s become an excuse to have the most ostentatious and expensive meat and wine bdavka in the 9 days. If that’s not your circles, that’s great. I’m just wondering why just now are all your boys making a siyum?

Agree. I think needing it to be “very showy” was what rubbed me as being a bit too out of line with the 9 days… I think it’s fine to make a nice fleishig meal to celebrate the accomplishment of a genuine siyum (not one that’s just being done as an excuse to eat meat like has become IMHO too prevalent) but to davka want it to look “very showy” is not necessary… if anything things should be toned down so that the 9 days is still in people’s minds…

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 11:14 am
Not sure how many people are in your family and it this would feed too many, but a favorite siyum meal for my boys was a 5 foot long deli sub. We had to special order the bread from a bakery, but it came as one long roll, which we cut open ahead of time and loaded with their favorite deli meats - pastrami, corned beef, etc. and that was a very impressive table centerpiece. We washed on small rolls and had soup as the appetizer and then everyone took pieces of the sub (which were cut ahead of time while on the table so that it still remained as one long presentation) and had platters of toppings - lettuce, tomato, onions, cole slaw, condiments, etc. Also french fries on the side, because my boys love fries, but we really didn't need anything else. Finish the seuda with brownies and parve ice cream and it's beautiful!

amother
Catmint  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 11:16 am
This thread is hard for me.

So wierd cos Iv never ever felt this way before but I feel like Im going hungry for the next 6 days.

I really really want a good meaty meal.

Im not pregnant.
But I really feel like im actually missing out this year.
I guess this is part of mourning.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics