Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
8 year old baby-talking

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:16 am
Most of my kids went through baby-talk stages around 4-6yo. It's annoying but I generally ignore it and the stage passes.

8yo DS recently started baby-talking. He is the baby of the family, is petite and cute and plays the part well, but is actually pretty mature, capable and smart.

He seems too old for this, and it's driving me bananas Banging head Banging head Banging head

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:56 am
classic call for "look at me"
He just wants more love and attention. Ignoring it or making fun of it or telling him to stop won't help

noticing him more often will help. Like really seeing him and his needs and feelings

amother
IndianRed  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 12:11 pm
Especially if there are any other new regressive behaviors like crawling, or other new behaviors like fears, anxieties, phobias food pickiness, bathroom accidents, sleep regression, meltdowns, tantrums, obsessions, rigidity, tics, hyperactivity, I would look into pandas.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 12:16 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
classic call for "look at me"
He just wants more love and attention. Ignoring it or making fun of it or telling him to stop won't help

noticing him more often will help. Like really seeing him and his needs and feelings

I am a SAHM and he is my baby so yes, he gets plenty of attention! I shmooz with him,
I hug him, my husband usually spends about 20min with him every night at bedtime... Still this is a good reminder. I will try to give him that "extra".

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 12:20 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Especially if there are any other new regressive behaviors like crawling, or other new behaviors like fears, anxieties, phobias food pickiness, bathroom accidents, sleep regression, meltdowns, tantrums, obsessions, rigidity, tics, hyperactivity, I would look into pandas.

I kind of wondered about this... although I didn't notice anything specific. Could baby talk be a tic? I try hard to ignore it, but sometimes I ask him calmly to please say that normally, explaining that I can't understand him. And it's like he forgot how to talk normally, struggling to get the words out clearly!

amother
  IndianRed  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 12:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
I kind of wondered about this... although I didn't notice anything specific. Could baby talk be a tic? I try hard to ignore it, but sometimes I ask him calmly to please say that normally, explaining that I can't understand him. And it's like he forgot how to talk normally, struggling to get the words out clearly!
I don't know if it falls under the category of tics but it's a classic pandas symptoms and which means it's neurological and they can't really control it. 2 of my kids had this as a symptom and I knew it wasn't just behavioral because no matter how many times I asked them to stop they couldn't.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 12:35 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
I don't know if it falls under the category of tics but it's a classic pandas symptoms and which means it's neurological and they can't really control it. 2 of my kids had this as a symptom and I knew it wasn't just behavioral because no matter how many times I asked them to stop they couldn't.

How were they diagnosed and treated? From what I've heard pandas always seems so vague

amother
  IndianRed

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 6:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
How were they diagnosed and treated? From what I've heard pandas always seems so vague
You can do an ibuprophen trial. If the baby talk gets better you'll know there's brain inflammation going on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children