Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Black spot on silver bowl

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 8:58 am
I recently noticed a black circle spot on my silver fruit bowl. Does anyone know how I can get rid of it?

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:01 am
Ok I chose cleaning and laundry forum. Not sure how this ended up in serious problems in a marriage. I flagged for mods to change

rising hero

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:02 am
I thought its a fancy metaphor LOL

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:04 am
I was totally convinced this was a metaphor. But anyways, are you sure it's real silver or could it be silver plated?

BaltoMom65

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:05 am
rising hero wrote:
I thought its a fancy metaphor LOL
Saaaaame LOL LOL

Amarante  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:11 am
If this is solid silver, why can't you just use your normal silver polish as silver tarnishes and turns black.

If this is plated, it could be that the plate has worn off as that sometimes happens and it looks "black" in spots where the coating has received more abrasive wear for whatever reason

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:12 am
Lol it says 925 silver on the back so its definitely real silver.
Haha about the metaphors though!

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:13 am
Amarante wrote:
If this is solid silver, why can't you just use your normal silver polish as silver tarnishes and turns black.

If this is plated, it could be that the plate has worn off as that sometimes happens and it looks "black" in spots where the coating has received more abrasive wear for whatever reason

I tried to use regular polish. Its not budging Sad

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:16 am
https://www.google.com/search?.....UTF-8

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:30 am
amother Leaf wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=black+spot+on+silver&oq=black+spot+on+silver+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyCAgAEEUYHhg5MgcIARAAGIAEMgcIAhAAGIAEMggIAxAAGAcYHjIGCAQQRRg9MgYIBRBFGD0yBwgGEAAYgAQyBggHEAAYHjIICAgQABgIGB4yCAgJEAAYCBgeMggIChAAGAgYHjIICAsQABgIGB4yCAgMEAAYCBge0gEJMjEyOTlqMGo3qAIUsAIB&client=ms-android-tmus-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Thank you so much. There are some ideas but im scared to try unless I hear that someone did it and it worked.

Amarante  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:53 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much. There are some ideas but im scared to try unless I hear that someone did it and it worked.

I have read that the technique of immersing the silver into some form of chemical stuff can be quite destructive so I would also be hesitant to try.

What kind of silver polish are you using?

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:14 am
Amarante wrote:
I have read that the technique of immersing the silver into some form of chemical stuff can be quite destructive so I would also be hesitant to try.

What kind of silver polish are you using?

Haggarty spray

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Haggarty spray

I would switch to a stronger polish - I have always used something that is more "paste-like or at least something that is a bit more solid and not totally liquid.

I have used the liquid dip for some silver jewelry but those had the dark patina in areas as part of the design and weren't meant to be super shiny

I googled and here is a list of recommendations but you can probably research further

Trying another more suitable polish would be what I would do as a start

https://www.realsimple.com/hom.....D_BwE

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:33 am
Amarante wrote:
I would switch to a stronger polish - I have always used something that is more "paste-like or at least something that is a bit more solid and not totally liquid.

I have used the liquid dip for some silver jewelry but those had the dark patina in areas as part of the design and weren't meant to be super shiny

I googled and here is a list of recommendations but you can probably research further

Trying another more suitable polish would be what I would do as a start

https://www.realsimple.com/hom.....D_BwE

Thank you so much!!!

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:59 pm
I wish you hatzlacha with whatever methods you try. However, be aware that contact with some substances (salt and natural rubber being two of them) will irreparably blacken or even pit silver.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:00 pm
zaq wrote:
I wish you hatzlacha with whatever methods you try. However, be aware that contact with some substances (salt and natural rubber being two of them) will irreparably blacken or even pit silver.

Thank you! If I figure it out, ill let you all know iyh
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry