Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
How did we get here??Latenite and overnight trips in day cam
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 7:26 am
My dd had an extremely late trip. I called the director to say that I don't like this, I'm not comfortable about it. She said I was the only mother who called in.
Ladies! If something doesn't sit right with you, you MUST raise your voice.
Don't just holler on imamother. First call up the day camp, and then come on over here to holler all you want.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 7:27 am
amother Linen wrote:
Can someone please clarify. The title says summer camp.
Are you talking about day camp?
The forum is summer camps, but the thread title says day camp

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 7:30 am
amother Oleander wrote:
do you deny that lakewood has community norms that aren’t found elsewhere? has anyone who lives outside of lakewood said that this (late night camp) goes on in their community as well?

My nieces in monsey were talking about the same water parks till 9:30 at night. It’s not just Lakewood!! The girls were comparing trips- American Dream water park and playland and fantasy island. My 11 year old is going today 3:30-9:30 to Sahara sams. They can only rent out water parks after hours and 9:30 is not so late for an 11 year old. She’ll be fine and have a great time

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 7:41 am
amother Firebrick wrote:
My nieces in monsey were talking about the same water parks till 9:30 at night. It’s not just Lakewood!! The girls were comparing trips- American Dream water park and playland and fantasy island. My 11 year old is going today 3:30-9:30 to Sahara sams. They can only rent out water parks after hours and 9:30 is not so late for an 11 year old. She’ll be fine and have a great time
No one would complain about an 11yo coming home at 9 30. I'm talking Mt 10yo coming back at 5am. And a 9yo coming back at 1am.

amother
  Linen  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 7:47 am
amother OP wrote:
The forum is summer camps, but the thread title says day camp

Thanx. I was getting confused with everyone saying camp.
So day camps in Brooklyn never came home later than 11. I don’t have kids in day damp anymore so don’t know about theses days.
The kids would leave the day camp building late afternoon- depending on how far the water park was.
Then leave the park at closing time.
They looked forward to this. But I remember that it was for 3rd or 4th grade and up. Those who went had a blast. There was a cookout supper in the parking lot. And I seem to remember a sleepover too but that was in a separate day. The sleepover was usually the closing of summer.
And there were children who didn’t go. To the trip or sleepover.
Kids should have fun in the summer, but, Mothers are writing about coming home at ridiculous hours,and then no sessions the next day and it really is not necessary.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 7:59 am
My son just had a 2 night overnight to Niagara.

No place to sleep. They drove through the night both days.

Ie they left Tuesday night. Drove through the night. Spent the day Wednesday at Niagara, then drove back Wednesday night.

And Thursday morning bright and early we got to pick him up, bring him home, and let him sleep all day to recover.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 8:13 am
amother Lawngreen wrote:
My son just had a 2 night overnight to Niagara.

No place to sleep. They drove through the night both days.

Ie they left Tuesday night. Drove through the night. Spent the day Wednesday at Niagara, then drove back Wednesday night.

And Thursday morning bright and early we got to pick him up, bring him home, and let him sleep all day to recover.
. How old?

amother
  Poppy

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:29 am
kermit wrote:
Oh and my son is 8 and in daycamp, they rented out a waterpark with a few other camps a couple weeks ago -- they came home around 11.30 and then they bussed them home for us (so grateful I didn't have to run out)

my son came home STONED out of his mind (he slept a little on the bus) like almost drunk but GLOWING and singing camp songs hoarsely. he had such a good time.

they started daycamp an hour late the next day. my son was more than fine.

he's making lifetime memories and bonding with his class and I'm so grateful to his camp from creating these experiences for him.

Yes, this sounds wonderful.

HOWEVER:

1. Not every 8yo can handle being up until 11:30 so well
2. You had busing home, which as you mention is amazing, but not very common at that time of night
3. Coming home at 11:30 still gives the kid a night, just two hours or so later than they usually go to bed. And they'll sleep in a bit in the morning. Can't really compare to coming home at 3, 4, or 6. Or staying in camp and being picked up at 8 after not sleeping at all and then sleeping all day.

amother
  Opal

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:33 am
Like with everything in life, there will always be the complainers and the ones that see the positives.

Stop looking to complain. Grin it and bear it.

amother
NeonBlue  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:43 am
amother Linen wrote:
Thanx. I was getting confused with everyone saying camp.
So day camps in Brooklyn never came home later than 11. I don’t have kids in day damp anymore so don’t know about theses days.
The kids would leave the day camp building late afternoon- depending on how far the water park was.
Then leave the park at closing time.
They looked forward to this. But I remember that it was for 3rd or 4th grade and up. Those who went had a blast. There was a cookout supper in the parking lot. And I seem to remember a sleepover too but that was in a separate day. The sleepover was usually the closing of summer.
And there were children who didn’t go. To the trip or sleepover.
Kids should have fun in the summer, but, Mothers are writing about coming home at ridiculous hours,and then no sessions the next day and it really is not necessary.

Lkwd camps won’t go to parks when open to the public. So they don’t leave at closing time. They arrive at closing time to rent it privately.

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:09 am
amother Opal wrote:
Like with everything in life, there will always be the complainers and the ones that see the positives.

as a child I completely fell apart after the daycamp overnight. I needed my sleep.

amother
  Linen  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:22 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Lkwd camps won’t go to parks when open to the public. So they don’t leave at closing time. They arrive at closing time to rent it privately.
niether do brooklyn camps. But I believe the parks are rented from after five. So they arrive at five. Have a cookout supper. And then enter the park at 6:00-6:30. Take a look at sahara sam schedule they close at 6. Dreamworks closed at 6. Then private rentals can come from 6-9. No reason to send kids home for supper. No reason to come home after midnight Unless you're more than 2 hours away.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:24 am
amother Linen wrote:
niether do brooklyn camps. But I believe the parks are rented from after five. So they arrive at five. Have a cookout supper. And then enter the park at 6:00-6:30. Take a look at sahara sam schedule they close at 6. Dreamworks closed at 6. Then private rentals can come from 6-9. No reason to send kids home for supper. No reason to come home after midnight Unless you're more than 2 hours away.

This is what they do OOT. They leave camp mid day, go to a park for a bbq dinner and some activities then they get the water park from 6-8 and are home by 11 at the latest. That should be the standard for everyone.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:29 am
mha3484 wrote:
This is what they do OOT. They leave camp mid day, go to a park for a bbq dinner and some activities then they get the water park from 6-8 and are home by 11 at the latest. That should be the standard for everyone.
This sounds perfect.

amother
Bronze  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:40 am
amother Opal wrote:

My child had a massive seizure after being on one of these trips. No prior history. The lack of sleep caused it.

I agree with all the posters. It should be banned. My kids dont do the overnights anymore.

amother
  Plum  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:44 am
amother Bronze wrote:
My child had a massive seizure after being on one of these trips. No prior history. The lack of sleep caused it.

I agree with all the posters. It should be banned. My kids dont do the overnights anymore.

Lack of sleep because of one late night trip, does not cause a seizure for a healthy child. It's ridiculous to blame it on that. Millions of kids have a late night every so often, without having a seizure bh. I think most of us have done late night travels, flights.... with our kids, a healthy child does not have a seizure as a result of that.
I'd be concerned that your child may have gotten injured at the trip, and I hope the child got a compromise exam with a neurologist.

amother
  Plum  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:46 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:

Frum camps anywhere only go to Waterparks after hours. After hours is generally 5/6-8/9. I truly believe that only in Lakewood there's this craziness coming home from trips in the wee hours of the morning. This does not go on in Brooklyn or Monsey.

amother
  Bronze  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:48 am
amother Plum wrote:
Lack of sleep because of a late night trip, does not cause a seizure for a healthy child. It's ridiculous to claim it on that. Millions of kids have a late night every so often, without having a seizure bh. I think most of us have done late night travels, flights.... with our kids, a healthy child does not have a seizure as a result of that.
I'd be concerned that your child may have gotten injured at the trip, and I hope the child got a compromise exam with a neurologist.

Most healthy children do not have a seizures from lack of sleep. Although it can happen, as per a top Columbia Neurologist.

flowerpower  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:51 am
amother Plum wrote:
The only time my kids have the opportunity to go to a Waterpark, is when they're in camp. I'm happy for them. It's not the end of the world that they come home late once in a while. We all survived it intact.

This. My kids don’t sleep anyways. So they come home 12 am twice a summer. Im ok with it. I am nervous for them to just get home safe and sound. I’m the most uneasy for them when they’re the youngest bunk of the second division- still a real baby

amother
  Plum  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 10:53 am
amother Bronze wrote:
Most healthy children do not have a seizures from lack of sleep. Although it can happen, as per a top Columbia Neurologist.

Can happen from lack of sleep from just 1 night???? I don't think so. Every child has a late night every so often.
Perhaps severe lack of sleep can cause a seizure, but a 1 night thing? I doubt it.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps