Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Relaxing family trip on a budget

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 11:18 am
I'm looking for ideas for a trip with my girls ages 7 - 13. It's been a really hard year for us and although finances are tight we really want to get away for a few days. However I don't want to shlep food so a place with kosher food is a must. I'd prefer somewhere scenic and relaxing but with the option of fun activities. Upto 6-7 hour drive from Lakewood or a short flight. I'm trying to decide what's cheaper- tickets for 4 people vs gas and mileage on our car.

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 11:44 am
Following

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 11:46 am
Niagara Falls

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 11:50 am
Scranton pa
Nay Aug park
Museum
Water fall
Kosher food from the yeshivah

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 12:37 pm
flying will always be more expensive than driving

bringing food from home will always be cheaper than buying food at your destination

amother
Melon  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 12:52 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
flying will always be more expensive than driving

bringing food from home will always be cheaper than buying food at your destination

Yes. You’ll have to rent a car. Need to buy much more food and things once arrive.

One of the best way to budget is to cook yourself. Takeout and food can be the largest expense on vacation.

amother
White  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 1:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm looking for ideas for a trip with my girls ages 7 - 13. It's been a really hard year for us and although finances are tight we really want to get away for a few days. However I don't want to shlep food so a place with kosher food is a must. I'd prefer somewhere scenic and relaxing but with the option of fun activities. Upto 6-7 hour drive from Lakewood or a short flight. I'm trying to decide what's cheaper- tickets for 4 people vs gas and mileage on our car.

Whats your "budget"?

Activities add up fast.
Food adds up even faster.

(Unless you mean that you're buying raw food and prepping yourself).

amother
  White

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 1:07 pm
Whats your budget?

Activities add up fast.
Food adds up even faster

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 2:55 pm
amother Melon wrote:
Yes. You’ll have to rent a car. Need to buy much more food and things once arrive.

One of the best way to budget is to cook yourself. Takeout and food can be the largest expense on vacation.

Yes I also made this cheshbon about flying vs driving. But dh claims if we fly to say Niagara falls, we don't need to rent a car, they have this cheap trolley that takes you around and we save on hotel parking fees. Our car is a lease and the drive will take us over our mileage limit

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 3:05 pm
What about Washington DC
A lot of the attractions are free
Silver spring has kosher food and is less than a 20 minute drive

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 3:33 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
What about Washington DC
A lot of the attractions are free
Silver spring has kosher food and is less than a 20 minute drive

Thanks we were there on chol hamoed and we prefer something more scenic

amother
  Melon

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 3:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes I also made this cheshbon about flying vs driving. But dh claims if we fly to say Niagara falls, we don't need to rent a car, they have this cheap trolley that takes you around and we save on hotel parking fees. Our car is a lease and the drive will take us over our mileage limit

Still doesn’t sound budget friendly.
Need to get from airport to Niagara. Food there will be expensive.
Every attraction there costs a fortune and don’t last very long. There isn’t much to keep yourself busy for free unless your kids will just sit and watch the falls.
And I don’t think if Niagara as a relaxing trip.

Do you have a budget?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 4:34 pm
Poconos

You can do an airbnb with a hot tub and then go somewhere nearby during the day.

If you have exact dates, we can send you a few links.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 4:50 pm
National parks can be very budget friendly and beautiful. You can stay in a hotel or airbnb outside the parks for relatively cheap. You would need to bring food or eat simply. Maybe Shenandoah or Yellowstone if you are willing to fly a little further.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 4:58 pm
Why don't you come to Montreal? There are so many nice things to do here in the summer and great kosher food. Also the Canadian dollar is very weak these days so your money goes far....

questionanswer

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 5:37 pm
Also op, what do you consider "relaxing"?

Why dont you describe your ideal relaxing vaca and approximate budget and imas will try to figure out some options for you.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 11:11 pm
Thanks all for trying to help. So relaxing for me is definitely not bringing or cooking food... Also scenic places. I'm okay with hikes and fun activities. But I should have the option of taking it easy and just enjoy the day. Last year we went to new Hampshire. We were in a cheap hotel with points but went to pmr to eat. We did the bear show place one day, hiked a very steep incline the next, and went paddle boating the day after.

Michelle123

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 11:16 pm
Lancaster or Shenandoah Valley

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 11:16 pm
New hemisphere
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics