Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
How did we get here??Latenite and overnight trips in day cam
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
  Almond  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
My understanding is they can't have kids dropped off at home at unearthly hours, so they take them back to the camp building, and in order to keep them occupied until they can be bussed home, they put on a video for them.

Why don’t they have late pickup like all other camps?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:28 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Why don’t they have late pickup like all other camps?
The younger kids have a late night trip, the "older" ones (10 and up, some camps 9 and up) have an overnight trip. They get back at 5am.

amother
  Almond  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
The younger kids have a late night trip, the "older" ones (10 and up, some camps 9 and up) have an overnight trip. They get back at 5am.

That’s a bit nuts and not necessary. Coming back at 12/1 is late enough.

keym  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:31 pm
Honestly, OP, I hear your perspective, but I also get the camp's.

They don't do this for smaller local water parks because they're close and can be back by 11.

My 8,9 year old boys went to Sahara Sam's. They rented the park from 7-9:30 and we're back at camp for pickup at 11:15.

Older boys are going to water parks 3 hours away. They rent it for after hours from 8:30-11:30 pm, then changing, maariv, loading busses. They leave at 1 and get back at 4am.
There are some camps who expect the parents to come pick them up then. I don't know. I understand the camps who decide to keep them, shacharis at 6 and then bus them home at 7.

The problem is the age.
Though I know some camps that push the 4th graders onto the massive trips, and just as many who don't.
Its possible to find many camps that are more in line with what you want.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:31 pm
I totally agree with you and I do appreciate the camp I send my son to does their overnight differently
We take them to camp Thursday morning, they leave some time during the day and sleep somewhere Thursday night, and then we pick up Friday at regular dismissal time. Then he can catch up on his sleep Friday shabbos Sunday and they don’t have wacky pickup time. (Or have the morning off to sleep)

amother
Mistyrose  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:41 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
We live in a world in which kids need constant entertainment. And excitement. I think it's insane. I purposely sent my going into kindergarten child to a back yard day camp because she doesn't need hoopla. She gets excited by decorating a crown for princess day.

The kids don’t need this. The adults are introducing it to them. The kids would be happy with good old fun. Sports, color war, songs…

amother
Oleander  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:42 pm
Never heard of this. What communities is this common in?

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:44 pm
It really depends on the camp. My son's day camp only takes the older half of the camp to late nights and the younger kids don't have any late nights. They stagger it by grade.
I have two sons one going into second grade and one going into eighth. The second grader is going to have all together about four trips this summer. They do a lot of shows in camp and they bring a lot of people in. They have no late nights at that age. Third grade has one l night where they go bowling. 4th grade to 5th grade have one late night a week. A late night doesn't always go so late though. 6 to 8th has another late night per week. For example, tomorrow the 4th and 5th graders are having a barbecue by a pool and a 6th to 8th graders are doing something in Kemp and getting dismissed at 6:30.

In regard to the water parks, I feel like every camp does it their own way. My nephew just went to a water park last week and came home at 1:00 a.m.. He's only 6. My second grader who is 8 does not have any water parks or late nights.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:45 pm
I agree! Could we as mothers petition to all camps and day camp that they should stop it?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:47 pm
keym wrote:

They don't do this for smaller local water parks because they're close and can be back by 11.

My 8,9 year old boys went to Sahara Sam's. They rented the park from 7-9:30 and we're back at camp for pickup at 11:15.

Older boys are going to water parks 3 hours away. They rent it for after hours from 8:30-11:30 pm, then changing, maariv, loading busses. They leave at 1 and get back at 4am.
There are some camps who expect the parents to come pick them up then. I don't know. I understand the camps who decide to keep them, shacharis at 6 and then bus them home at 7.

The problem is the age.
Though I know some camps that push the 4th graders onto the massive trips, and just as many who don't.
Yes, I understand the camps keeping them from 4am to 7am, though I personally would rather pick my kid up at 4am I understand that most parents probably wouldn't and I understand the camps catering to that. My question is why they need to have trips where they get back at 4am altogether.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:49 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
I agree! Could we as mothers petition to all camps and day camp that they should stop it?
I wish. But like so many other things in the "system" I have no control over, I feel powerless to stop this.

amother
  Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:52 pm
keym wrote:

The problem is the age.

Is that what an overnight means? They sleep in camp for 2 hours till parents pick them up?

(And then don’t tell me they have off the next day…)

My son is in 4th grade and has one this year. I was wondering what it meant and where they would be sleeping!

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:52 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
The kids don’t need this. The adults are introducing it to them. The kids would be happy with good old fun. Sports, color war, songs…

I agree. And these things drive up the cost of day camp as well.

But I think it's too deeply entrenched to turn back the clock. The expectations have been set that this is what camps do and the kids really look forward to the Waterpark trips.

The problem lies in how we got here. We slowly add one thing after another till we end up in an over the top situation. And by then it's pretty much too late. We need to speak up early on when the things start being added on. But the general attitude is to let it be, it's no big deal. So we let it be with one thing after another and here we are.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:56 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
I agree. And these things drive up the cost of day camp as well.

But I think it's too deeply entrenched to turn back the clock. The expectations have been set that this is what camps do and the kids really look forward to the Waterpark trips.

The problem lies in how we got here. We slowly add one thing after another till we end up in an over the top situation. And by then it's pretty much too late. We need to speak up early on when the things start being added on. But the general attitude is to let it be, it's no big deal. So we let it be with one thing after another and here we are.
Exactly. That's how we got here, by not speaking up when it was the 12 year olds coming home at 11. So now we have 9 year olds expecting overnights until 5am and there's no going back.

amother
Natural  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:07 pm
Omg I cannot agree more. *looks* like so much fun but nothing is enjoyable when constantly ovestimulated and exhausted. And I find it hilarious when my 11yo said hey favorite day of the week in camp is leagues day. Like, hello? The kids actually enjoy healthy activity! Who would've thunk?
Personally I send my DDs to overnight camp out of 6th grade, specifically for this reason. I think they are healthier than the local "teen" camps.

amother
Tomato  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
How did it become a normal thing for 8,9,10 year old kids to go on trips to water parks and come back at 11pm, 12am, 1am or 5am?? Why is it normal that they are watching videos from 4-6am in the day camp lunchroom? And this is all endorsed by supposedly responsible adults?

I get that from a pragmatic perspective day camps have to rent out watermarks on off hours if they want to make use of them, but why is it even considered an option at all? This makes no sense.

And why do I feel like I'm the only parent that's bothered by this? Everyone else seems to be happily sending their kids off with no misgivings. My 9yo belongs on bed at night, not gallivanting on water slides at midnight. But my hands are tied.

I'm not a grinch, I fargin my kids all the fun in the world, but for the love of God why can't it be done during normal waking hours?

Sorry none of those times are remotely normal and I’m really astonished they come home at that age after midnight even but 5 am??

amother
  Tomato  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wish. But like so many other things in the "system" I have no control over, I feel powerless to stop this.

Which community is this common in?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:19 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
Which community is this common in?
lakewood

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:21 pm
amother Natural wrote:
Omg I cannot agree more. *looks* like so much fun but nothing is enjoyable when constantly ovestimulated and exhausted. And I find it hilarious when my 11yo said hey favorite day of the week in camp is leagues day. Like, hello? The kids actually enjoy healthy activity! Who would've thunk?
Personally I send my DDs to overnight camp out of 6th grade, specifically for this reason. I think they are healthier than the local "teen" camps.
This too. So much of the "fun" is just hype but really the kids are just falling on their noses.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 10:01 pm
Camps should be transparent. Would prefer if all camps stuck to the same time. My son wants to davka go to certain camps because they are treated the same as his camp treats the younger boys. Also find some camps switch policies and surprise your given a 24 hour notice. I like when my 7-8 year olds have a "late night". Which should go past supper hour but before bedtime. We pay good money after all. Kids under 10 should not be on a trip past their bedtime.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps