Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Regents Tutoring Rates

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 8:44 pm
I tutor regents subjects (generally biology and earth Science, but sometimes math). I have heard from friends that I charge less than I am "worth." I feel bad asking for a lot. I am curious what people have paid or what they charge for an hour of tutoring ? (if it makes a difference, I generally tutor on zoom.... but If it's a good teacher, I don't think it should affect the rate.)

(eta: I have a degree and license in education/special ed and have a few years experience tutoring these subjects)

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:37 am
bump

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:38 am
I have 10 years experience. Doctoral degree but in a completely unrelated field. I charge $120 an hour, zoom or in person. I plan on going up this year.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:03 am
So I should go up for my $75?
Also, if I am not AS comfortable with a subject, should I charge less?

amother
Bergamot  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:13 am
I pay around 100-140 for regents tutors, sometimes for 45 min, sometimes for an hour over the last few years. I would not pay that for zoom. I know my kids learn better in person and gain more from that format. For zoom I would expect to pay more like 75. There’s a reason you do zoom— bec it’s easier for you I’m assuming. So therefore that would warrant a lower fee. I also only pay those rates for experts in that subject— these are teachers who have taught let’s say regents bio for 10 years and know the regents and how to teach to it. For a generic tutor with less specialized experience I would expect to pay much less.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:16 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
I pay around 100-140 for regents tutors, sometimes for 45 min, sometimes for an hour over the last few years. I would not pay that for zoom. I know my kids learn better in person and gain more from that format. For zoom I would expect to pay more like 75. There’s a reason you do zoom— bec it’s easier for you I’m assuming. So therefore that would warrant a lower fee. I also only pay those rates for experts in that subject— these are teachers who have taught let’s say regents bio for 10 years and know the regents and how to teach to it. For a generic tutor with less specialized experience I would expect to pay much less.

yeah, definitely.
so subject A I teach in a school, so I feel MOST comfortable with it. I tutoted it on zoom and found the students usually focused well, as I have review sheets and questions that I incorporate.
Subject B, I have tutored for years, but still don't know the regents AS WELL. however, comfortable with 90-95% of the material. can I have different rates for both?

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:22 am
if someone is charging $100-120/hr for the same subject, I think I can ask $85 on zoom?

amother
  Bergamot

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:24 am
amother OP wrote:
if someone is charging $100-120/hr for the same subject, I think I can ask $85 on zoom?

Yes I think that’s fair. I find after Covid my kids despise zoom and bec they have such negative feelings around it the learning becomes diminished

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:34 am
I charge $100 per session, will prbably go up to $110 this year. In person only, no zoom. 12+ years experience teaching and tutoring my specific regent subject. I have no degree, but feel that I bring a lot of value as a current teacher, with up to date knowledge - I literally know every regent question and the best approach to it, which skills are the most important, what a weaker student should skip, etc.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:50 am
I was being paid $80/hr 15 years ago.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:56 am
amother OP wrote:
So I should go up for my $75?
Also, if I am not AS comfortable with a subject, should I charge less?

I'd say only if it's impacting the quality and level of the tutoring.

I have tutored high school girls in a subject that I wasn't perfect in. But the students were several grades behind and the hardest parts that I was a little shaky with never come up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics