Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I need a new job (current Seit/setss)

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 11:15 am
I’m a Seit/setss provider. With all the upheaval and changes coming I really want to change jobs. I’ve been burnt out for a little while already and this is my push to actually get out. I don’t want to do anything related like teaching. Been there and just want a real total change.
However I’m clueless and terrified. I was always very good and respected at my job. I’m great with people. But I’m so afraid and overwhelmed at the idea of finding something different. Where do I even start? What if I’m terrible at it? Also I got spoiled and used to the flexibility of being a Seit and basically working for myself. How do I manage a “real” job with little kids at home.
I know I’m rambling but I willing to take any advice anyone has.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 11:25 am
Do you really think that starting salary in a new field is going to pay you more than what the new set rates will be???

amother
Orchid  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 3:40 pm
Seit isn't being affected, only SETSS. The new rates are pretty similar to what you were getting till now... If you're burnt out and want to change fields that's another story.
Why don't you think about your interests and take a job that you might enjoy better. Keep part time SEIT or SETSS, so you don't lose out if you decide you want to get back into it at any time. It might also help you feel safer and more stable. Good luck

signed, a SETSS provider that runs a small unrelated business on the side

BrachaVHatzlocha  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 4:07 pm
you can also start by opening the classified section of a local Jewish newspaper (or lunch.com) and see what's available?

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 4:13 pm
I feel like I was misunderstood lol. The upheaval is just an excuse. I’ve been wanting to get out for a while already. I’m very burnt out working with kids then coming home to my own. I dread work and I feel like I shouldn’t have to.
On the other hand it’s golden handcuffs.
See this is why I never left until now..
I have no idea what I’m good at aside from being good with kids and people in general. I connect well with parents and school admin. I’m pretty good at writing reports.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 4:50 pm
maybe you can do something in a related field. like working on paperwork for services. etc.

amother
  Orchid  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 7:43 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
maybe you can do something in a related field. like working on paperwork for services. etc.

Smart idea. Some SETSS providers might need help with this as they're new to working directly with the DOE. You can take a percentage of their pay or a nice hefty fee and people will do it. You can earn nice income this way on your terms

amother
Pistachio  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 7:54 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
Smart idea. Some SETSS providers might need help with this as they're new to working directly with the DOE. You can take a percentage of their pay or a nice hefty fee and people will do it. You can earn nice income this way on your terms

I doubt many would pay a hefty fee for this they don't make enough to give you a big percentage

amother
  Orchid  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 8:15 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
I doubt many would pay a hefty fee for this they don't make enough to give you a big percentage

They'll be making pretty much the same they were making till now... She can charge a few hundred dollars per student and people would do it. Or a small percent- like $3 off every hour, that adds up to a lot at the end of the year.

amother
  Pistachio

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 8:16 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
They'll be making pretty much the same they were making till now... She can charge a few hundred dollars per student and people would do it. Or a small percent- like $3 off every hour, that adds up to a lot at the end of the year.

I wouldn't do it but ok

amother
  Orchid

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 8:23 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
I wouldn't do it but ok

I wouldn't either, but I know many people who possibly would...

funkyfrummom

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 4:40 am
OP, where are you located? Would you consider an admin assistant type job, but in a school?

Frumomsi

Post Fri, Aug 02 2024, 9:55 am
I don’t know if there are openings now as there are others like you seeking but maybe an education director or something similar in a pre-k or head start? It would be a step up in a way and provide a salary. The work is more administrative but you can still tap into your experience and skills.

Otherwise, taking a job in a business or other unrelated field can be an option but you your question, will need you to have the ability to work longer hours and start lower down on the totem pole for now. You’ll also have less flexibility. I would talk to people working in other fields. Ask lots of questions and maybe find out if you can visit such workplaces to see for yourself.

As someone in the field, I would encourage you to stay in education only if you can address your burn out. It’s not fair to anyone to have you there if you’re heart isn’t in it. A day or two is normal but ongoing burn out isn’t sustainable.

Hatzloche!

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Aug 02 2024, 10:09 am
Frumomsi wrote:
I don’t know if there are openings now as there are others like you seeking but maybe an education director or something similar in a pre-k or head start? It would be a step up in a way and provide a salary. The work is more administrative but you can still tap into your experience and skills.

Otherwise, taking a job in a business or other unrelated field can be an option but you your question, will need you to have the ability to work longer hours and start lower down on the totem pole for now. You’ll also have less flexibility. I would talk to people working in other fields. Ask lots of questions and maybe find out if you can visit such workplaces to see for yourself.

As someone in the field, I would encourage you to stay in education only if you can address your burn out. It’s not fair to anyone to have you there if you’re heart isn’t in it. A day or two is normal but ongoing burn out isn’t sustainable.

Hatzloche!
you can do your job well and still feel burnt out. Im speaking as an educator who feels burnt out, tried other things and at this point of my life I am continuing in education. I deeply care about my students and am good at what I do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics