Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Attractive tichels

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 11:18 am
I like the way I look in Sheitels so much better. But my sheitel is worn out and I don’t want to get a new one for financial reasons. I bought a cheap synthetic off Amazon for thirty five and it lasted me a few months… but now it’s too fried/ clumpy and can’t be fixed.

Anyway,
I have a very small head .
Most women in my community wear sheitels but it’s OOT enough that this isn’t a huge issue.
Is there anyway to look attractive in a tichel? I always feel like they make my head look somehow smaller/ I look like a pirate.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 11:56 am
amother OP wrote:
I like the way I look in Sheitels so much better. But my sheitel is worn out and I don’t want to get a new one for financial reasons. I bought a cheap synthetic off Amazon for thirty five and it lasted me a few months… but now it’s too fried/ clumpy and can’t be fixed.

Anyway,
Most women in my community wear sheitels but it’s OOT enough that this isn’t a huge issue.
Is there anyway to look attractive in a tichel? I always feel like they make my head look somehow smaller/ I look like a pirate.

Re: the fried wig- they sometimes can be fixed. Is it “heat resistant?” If so, you can fix it. Put it on a wig head securely. Use a hair iron in the lowest setting. Spray one small section at a time with water until damp, then comb and iron. This will defrizz the wig. It will also remove the set in style, so you’d have to be ok with it straight or restyle after- again, low heat. If you’re already avoiding wearing it, it’s worth experimenting on.

Now, on to the tichel question- if you feel they dwarf your head, you may prefer a nice beanie or hat instead. Some of them are quite pretty. Or you can learn to tie thin tichel a in attractive ways. If you don’t like the pirate look, you should probably learn to tuck the tails in. Look up wrapunzel, there are lots of tutorials.

FTR, I have a synthetic wig that is probably 13 years old by now. I wore it frequently enough for quite a while. Cost me $30 and still in great condition. One thing to know about synthetics- don’t cook while wearing them. The heat causes the frizzing/fried look. Treat them right and they generally last, but the shorter styles last the best.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

Anyway,

The key to avoiding the small head or pirate look is getting a shaper. There's some very nice ones now with a built in velvet headband.

They can vary a lot: I've got the Cloud 9 from Wrapunzel which can put volume either back or on top, and a Wrapunzel Wendy that puts it all around, and Air Kal2 from the Little Tichel Lady that puts the volume all at the back and then lets the air flow between the shaper and my head and it's unbelievable for hot weather. There's also types that add padding to the top and sides but not the back at all.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:26 pm

Last edited by amother on Mon, Aug 19 2024, 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total

mha3484  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:27 pm
Where OOT are you. I got a sheital at a gemach last winter for $50. You can get one every three years.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 2:09 pm
I wear reg pretieds I make sure they coordinate with my clothing and it looks great and put together. In terms of head size I have the opposite problem so no help there Smile good luck

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 2:20 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Where OOT are you. I got a sheital at a gemach last winter for $50. You can get one every three years.

sorry for hijacking but I'm interested in info about this. I've had the same 1 sheitel for many many years and I'm hoping it'll hold out even longer since I can't afford a new one. a couple times I was offered a gemach or heavily subsidized new sheitel but my issue is the opposite as OP's--I have a very big head and no regular sized sheitels fit me. So I need a fully customized sheitel and the offers were for normal sized sheitels. I assume with this gemach I would have the same issue?

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 2:23 pm
I think so. The one I went to had a lot of choices to try on but but nothing custom made.

Green Tea

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 2:36 pm
Get ones that are 190*190 cm, they go down longer. Match the colors correctly to your hair color.(dark hair? So black, brown, dark khaki, navy blue, dark grey, etc). You can also get a brand new cheap virgin hair fall for about $400 (pm me if interested) and wear a bandana or headbands (find on AliExpress / SHEIN for about $1 each when on sale.)

frumNYC

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 2:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

Anyway,

Would you do a wrap? Israeli style? If so, you can put more volume on the side and back and that would make your head look bigger. I have a bit of the same issue.

Also side knots or bows would create volume.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels