Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Sleep away camp for girls- tell me all

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 11:51 am
Iyh my oldest DD wants to go to sleep away this summer. But I have no idea where to start! DH took care of all that for my boys, but I’m in charge of dd camp investigations! She’s going into 7th.

We are a mid of road yeshivish family. Send to bas Mikrah in Monsey. Dd wants an out of town feel. She doesn’t want an in town feel, brands name etc. she wants good old fun with solid girls and solid BY hashkafos.

She doesn’t want to travel to one of the camps in the middle of America or Canada. She wants to be driving distance from Monsey (3hrs is fine!)

So where does that leave us? What camps can you recommend that your daughters are in that are having the time of their lives.

acemom

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 3:23 pm
In case you're unaware how these things go, I doubt you'll be able to get into any camp at this point of the summer.
Registrations opened and closed months ago.

I apologize if I came across very harsh or if you meant summer 2025.

amother
Yolk  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 3:32 pm
Do you mean the next summer of 2025? Second half is starting on Monday/ Tuesday and this year is done.

She should find out where girls from her school go.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 3:56 pm
Oh wow sorry that wasn’t clear. I meant looking for summer 2025

She said girls say “I don’t know” or are going to BRC. But she doesn’t want to go to BRC with everyone else.

Tova

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 4:04 pm
Maybe Camp Bais Yaakov?
You will also want to apply to more than one place.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 4:19 pm
Bnos
Ahuva

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 4:30 pm
I second camp Bais Yaakov.
Camp Menucha would be an option, if you don't mind the distance.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 4:44 pm
Can you give me a brief sentence about each camp? What makes them different? Who tends to go

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 5:02 pm
Hopefully your daughter will enjoy camp.
Please allow for all kinds of scenarios.
My daughter came home (grade 7) last year
Saying that by the time she all figured it out camp was over.
She went this year grade 8 again and I don't know if she had the time of her life.
Camp is an experience I am happy she could have.
The main thing is
She seems רואיג.
And that is what counts!

For most girls it is a must to go with friends in order not to be friendless.
and also please let the camp experience play itself out without the pressure of things being all rosy.

amother
  Yolk  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 5:08 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
Hopefully your daughter will enjoy camp.
Please allow for all kinds of scenarios.
My daughter came home (grade 7) last year
Saying that by the time she all figured it out camp was over.
She went this year grade 8 again and I don't know if she had the time of her life.
Camp is an experience I am happy she could have.
The main thing is
She seems רואיג.
And that is what counts!

For most girls it is a must to go with friends in order not to be friendless.
and also please let the camp experience play itself out without the pressure of things being all rosy.

It’s actually not a must for most girls to go with friends. My kids like to go alone and make new friends. Then they go back year after year with their camp friends. Sounds like her daughter is more my kid’s type not wanting to go to the camp the whole school is going to. She’ll do amazing I’m sure. Girls with confidence who know what they want do really well in any camp.

amother
  Yolk

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 5:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you give me a brief sentence about each camp? What makes them different? Who tends to go

I don’t know all of them, but all were discussed here. If you search each name you can probably find threads with details on each one.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 5:11 pm
My daughter is currently in camp chaviva. She loves it! Not snobby at all!

amother
Gray  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 5:37 pm
Tehilla or Menucha are probably the most OOT feel and would be appropriate for a girl from that school. Tehilla isn’t easy to get into but you can search here there have been threads about it. Menucha is newer and a shorter session but it’s similar in style and girls to Tehilla.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 9:16 pm
amother Gray wrote:
Tehilla or Menucha are probably the most OOT feel and would be appropriate for a girl from that school. Tehilla isn’t easy to get into but you can search here there have been threads about it. Menucha is newer and a shorter session but it’s similar in style and girls to Tehilla.

How long is tehilla? Where is it located?

I’d love to see pictures or videos from the camp. How else can you really get a feel for a camp without seeing it in action? Do they have such a thing? Where can I get my hands on one?

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 9:39 pm
Camp Sternberg second half is more yeshivish. It's not a snobby place at all. It's more outdoorsy than other camps which attracts a crowd with different expectations than some other places. It's in NY but there are definitely kids from oot that attend.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 9:42 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
My daughter is currently in camp chaviva. She loves it! Not snobby at all!

Same. DD wants to go back. First time ever she told me she would go for full summer if she could.
My niece went for the first time without friends (going into 7th) and she LOVED it.

amother
  Gray

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 9:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
How long is tehilla? Where is it located?

I’d love to see pictures or videos from the camp. How else can you really get a feel for a camp without seeing it in action? Do they have such a thing? Where can I get my hands on one?

Tehila is the standard 4 weeks in NY first half only.
I’ve never heard of a BY type camp giving photos or videos and I don’t know what you’d really gain. When I watch dd’s videos they look like all the other similar camps. The way I chose a camp was by speaking to mothers in my community who have sent girls to camp, speaking to girls who went and asking a principal at dd’s school and then sent where we got in and had friends going. I would not send my kids alone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps