Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Will a dietitian help?
Previous  1  2

OMG!

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:08 am
I think The OA program is just what you need. They all have a sponsor and a big support system.

lauful

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:12 am
If you know what you need to do but have a hard time doing it, you need to find a dietitian who uses a non-diet approach. A non-diet approach means working on habits over weight loss. The first thing you need to do is work on your mentality over your weight, because like you said, you know what to do, but you just can't do it.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:35 am
Obviously there is something underlying that's making you struggle with weight loss. I personally think a program like Keep those pounds off or do intuitive eating program. Slow and steady wins the race.

Hatzlacha on this journey! May Hashem give you strength!

amother
Tomato  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:23 am
I so understand you! My eating habits were terrible for years and though I knew I'm doing something crazy, I don't have self control. It affected my health, im a diabetic now, need to give accountability and show weekly food logs to three providers including a nutritionist but still struggle. I surely know the risks but still fail sometimes. I find myself often skipping to record my cheatings cuz I surely know I did something crazy and feel guilty about it. Why should I admit to others about it... So my advice to you op is if you're suffering from food addiction and poor self control then accountability might just not work well enough. I don't know what yes, just don't keep your hopes too high that this will be the key to success and then be disappointed. Definitely try it rather than doing nothing and I really hope it does work for you though. If you find anything else that works pls share!

amother
  Tomato

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:24 am
I so understand you! My eating habits were terrible for years and though I knew I'm doing something crazy, I don't have self control. It affected my health, im a diabetic now, need to give accountability and show weekly food logs to three providers including a nutritionist but still struggle. I surely know the risks but still fail sometimes. I find myself often skipping to record my cheatings cuz I surely know I did something crazy and feel guilty about it. Why should I admit to others about it... So my advice to you op is if you're suffering from food addiction and poor self control then accountability might just not work well enough. I don't know what yes, just don't keep your hopes too high that this will be the key to success and then be disappointed. Definitely try it rather than doing nothing and I really hope it does work for you though. If you find anything else that works pls share!

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:28 am
If you go to someone in person and get a weekly weigh in in front of them each week. Yes. A virtual appointment where you report your weight to them can lead to you fudging the numbers and you don’t want that temptation.

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 7:01 am
I totally feel you. It's my life long struggle and I have tried dieticians, nutritionists, holistic healing, the works.
Currently I am finding helpful to be in a whatsapp health group where we all cheer each other on and are accountable to each other with a group leader really helping us reach our goals. If this works long term, I dont know yet!

BmoreBubby  

Post Fri, Jun 28 2024, 1:37 am
amother OP wrote:
I know what I need to eat and not eat. My problem is making it happen. I struggle with planning (and if I don't plan well, I end up eating whatever is convenient) and also, well, I have huge sweet tooth. So I'm not sure a dietitian will really do much, because I already know what I need to know. So how can I get the help I need? Because doing it on my own isn't working, knowledge doesn't help if I don't act on it.

Yes, you need a meal plan and an an accountability system, which a good RD can give you.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 6:28 pm
I’m not sure if this is helpful.. I know this thread is about a month old. I recently gained some weight and decided instead of doing a crash diet I would meet with a dietician. They were sooo helpful. The real focus wasn’t really losing weight even thought that’s my goal. They wanted to make sure I was eating consistently throughout the day and getting in enough prtotein. Also lower my sugar intake and increase exercise. Was really helpful.

amother
Pansy

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 7:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
If I could "just do it" I would have done it! Obviously I can't and I need help to do so. What is the right kind of help for this?

Therapy. My husband has this issue. Turns out he has a mental blockage when it comes to taking care of himself. He just can’t do it, even though he can take good care of everyone around him. He is currently in therapy unraveling this issue. Good luck!

BmoreBubby

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 1:12 pm
I would definitely recommend a structured program with either an RD ($$ but worth it) or OA (free but you have to go to meetings, preferably daily) or at the very least a Torah-based motivational approach like at torahhealth.org.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise