Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How can I answer without lying
Previous  1  2  3  Next

behappy2

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 12:04 pm
You are allowed to lie in this situation. You can just say that you are fasting. But then you need to hide in front of your kids. I wouldn't want to do that.

safetynet1

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 12:07 pm
I think this is a cultural thing. In my circles its a conversation piece. No one thinks twice about it. You either fast or you don't.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 1:32 pm
"I'm on medication so not fasting on medical advice".

amother
Saddlebrown  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 1:39 pm
safetynet1 wrote:
I think this is a cultural thing. In my circles its a conversation piece. No one thinks twice about it. You either fast or you don't.

Why would fasting even be a conversation piece? What's to discuss, if everyone else is fasting? Who cares? I vent All I want if I'm feeling weak but I never ask anyone else what they're doing. Honestly, I couldn't care less.

frumNYC

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 1:41 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
“Why, are you?”

Best answer!!!

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 4:28 pm
How about "why wouldn't I be?"
If they take it as a rhetorical question, good end of convo.
If they answer a more acceptable response, "if you don't feel well" or "it's not your minhag" you can nod and say something vague like "right."
If they answer something awkward like "if you're pregnant" (can't imagine they would) you can rightfully say "that's not a polite thing to ask someone."

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 4:40 pm
I just tell people I can't fast because I need to watch the kids and it's possible for me.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 5:08 pm
I haven't fasted besides yom kippur since my first pregnancy 9 years ago. I bH have 2 children, 6 years apart. I definitely wasn't nursing for 6 years and wasn't pregnant for 6 years either and still didn't fast.
Not fasting doesn't have to be connected to pregnancy or nursing

tweety1

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 5:40 pm
amother Stone wrote:
I am not fasting today and I’m not nursing or pregnant or any health issues bh. This is my family’s minhag. If someone asked me, I would say no I’m not and that’s that.

Same here. Lor says ladies don't have to fast.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 5:43 pm
Am I the only person who shows by 10 weeks? Everyone knows I’m pregnant by 15 weeks. It’s not an option to hide unless I don’t leave my house

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 5:48 pm
"Not feeling well enough today for a minor fast. How is yours going?"

Trademark

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 5:52 pm
You are allowed to lie for tznius reasons.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 6:07 pm
You can say you're not feeling well (which is probably true if you're on the earlier end of pregnancy) or that you're not fasting for medical reasons (also true).

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 6:44 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
No, for health reasons.
Enough.

I got the same issue today. Invited a friend for an outing and she asked, Won‘t you be wiped out from fasting?
Oops. Forgot that other moms are fasting today..

Why would you invite someone for an outing on a day of public national mourning? It may not be a transgression, but it's surely not in the spirit of the day.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 6:58 pm
"doing what I can"

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:51 pm
I had that when I was 5 weeks pregnant with my oldest on Taanis Esther. A coworker asked (in front of not Jewish coworkers) if I'm fasting, and I said that I was up early enough to eat breakfast so I don't feel it. Since everyone knew it was a fast day once she asked, I had to sneak my lunch in the filing room and didn't drink enough. I ended up in the hospital with dehydration.

amother
Darkblue  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 11:24 am
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Why would fasting even be a conversation piece? What's to discuss, if everyone else is fasting? Who cares? I vent All I want if I'm feeling weak but I never ask anyone else what they're doing. Honestly, I couldn't care less.

Because in Chassidish circles it is considered very normal to casually discuss chasidishe minhagim.

Does your husband wear veise zocken on shabbos? Do women fast on minor fast days? What do you serve at a typical shabbos meal etc.

When one only fasts on Tisha B'av and YK it is unfortunately easy to forget that it is an invasive question for those that usually do unless they have different health circumstances.

amother
  Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:17 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
Because in Chassidish circles it is considered very normal to casually discuss chasidishe minhagim.

Does your husband wear veise zocken on shabbos? Do women fast on minor fast days? What do you serve at a typical shabbos meal etc.

When one only fasts on Tisha B'av and YK it is unfortunately easy to forget that it is an invasive question for those that usually do unless they have different health circumstances.

LOL. I am from chassidish circles and I still don't see how this is a conversation piece.
I was at work yesterday all day with many chassidish workmates, this didn't come up once! Who cares???
Same goes for the levush question. I've never been part of a conversation that centered around my husband's socks. I get asked, I answer and it's over. A conversation? I'm not 10!

amother
  Darkblue

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:02 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
LOL. I am from chassidish circles and I still don't see how this is a conversation piece.
I was at work yesterday all day with many chassidish workmates, this didn't come up once! Who cares???
Same goes for the levush question. I've never been part of a conversation that centered around my husband's socks. I get asked, I answer and it's over. A conversation? I'm not 10!

The point I'm trying to make is not really about how long you can discuss these things for.

It's that if you don't fast beshitta, it's easy to inadverdently forget that for others, it depends on their health, and to forget to treat this as a sensitive topic.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 3:56 pm
I just say something vague like "I'm a terrible faster, I get such migraines" and leave it there.
I haven't said I'm fasting and I haven't said I'm not.
I have a friend who is excellent at this type of obfuscation and try to learn from her.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note