Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
JD program

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 11:08 am
Does anyone know of a school or Seminary that offer JD program that is mother friendly. Online, hybrid or shorter studies? I live in Queens

mha3484  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 11:12 am
I don't believe such a thing exists. A JD is an intense 3 year program post bachelors degree. Touro was advertising some more flexible options but I don't know anything about it.

amother
Cornsilk  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 11:21 am
There are part-time JD programs run by regular law schools, but they are still somewhat intense, especially since they are usually being done by someone who is working full time.

I am not sure about a fully online JD.

I am not sure from this post what your goal is, but if your goal is to take the bar exam of your state and be fully eligible to practice law, then I would make sure the program you choose is in line with that.

amother
Plum  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:15 pm
It doesn't exist

Almost every state requires that one graduate from an ABA accredited law school.

There are night schools and you could probably find a school that would let you take fewer courses - but all that means is that it takes longer to graduate.

There are no short cuts just as there are no short cuts for medical school.

Law school actually doesn't lend itself to on-line although there might be a few courses that are on-line. Law schools still use what is called the Socratic Method of teaching for the most part which requires a student to be in the room - it is supposed to help people "think like a lawyer".

There is a kind of thinking that seems to exist among some on imamother that devalues formal education and thinks that a short cut can achieve the same end result.

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:17 pm
I happen to already be a lawyer, but if I weren’t, I would try the Touro program which is a 4 year program, all online except for Sunday in person classes. It looks fabulous. I even asked my husband if he wants to do it. It’s meant for people who are working full time already.

amother
  Plum  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:40 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
There are part-time JD programs run by regular law schools, but they are still somewhat intense, especially since they are usually being done by someone who is working full time.

I am not sure about a fully online JD.

I am not sure from this post what your goal is, but if your goal is to take the bar exam of your state and be fully eligible to practice law, then I would make sure the program you choose is in line with that.

I am also a lawyer and wouldn't necessarily advise anyone to become a lawyer as the economics have changed significantly since I graduated. Especially a private university where one will graduate with significant loans to cover tuition - probably.

I would not pay $180,000 tuition to go to a law school that is ranked so low. Law has a glut of lawyers - very hard to get jobs unless one went to a highly rated law school with excellent grades. It is also difficult to attempt to set up a private practice.

Touro University is ranked No. 168 (tie) out of 196 in Best Law Schools and No. 58 (tie) out of 68 in Part-time Law. Schools are ranked .

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:45 pm
I agree with amother plum. There are paralegals in top NY law firms making very good salaries with much less schooling. I would look into it.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:12 pm
Why can’t I just take some Clep exams and be a lawyer? I can do it for everything else!

amother
  Plum  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:17 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
Why can’t I just take some Clep exams and be a lawyer? I can do it for everything else!

Are you being sarcastic?

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:20 pm
Nobody Cleps their masters.
For all we know people have partially clepped their BA and have gotten into good grad schools.

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:20 pm
amother Plum wrote:
Are you being sarcastic?

Obviously, because the only thing Clep exams will give you is a paper BA in some generalized area. It can be useful as a stepping stone but doesn't qualify you for any skilled job. Definitely not for anything that requires a license of any sort.

amother
  Plum

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:29 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
Obviously, because the only thing Clep exams will give you is a paper BA in some generalized area. It can be useful as a stepping stone but doesn't qualify you for any skilled job. Definitely not for anything that requires a license of any sort.

Given the lack of respect for academic achievement sometimes expressed on imamother, it was hard to differentiate sarcasm from a *regular* response 🤷‍♀️😂

I went to a Top Ten law school and was Order of the Coif and Law Review.

My liberal arts background with a major in History was very beneficial in terms of providing me with the tools to evaluate information from many sources as well as articulate them both orally and in writing.

Property law was much more understandable and enjoyable because of my knowledge of medieval society for example.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does anyone know of a school or Seminary that offer JD program that is mother friendly. Online, hybrid or shorter studies? I live in Queens

With all due respect, one of the MAJOR aspects of being an attorney is the ability to do the hard work and research. I'm wondering if you really understand what it means to go through law school if you are asking on imamother for a "program", not law school, and asking if a seminary offers this kind of thing, as if it's no different than any other sem teaching certification (that only certifies you to teach in beis yaakov) or graphic designer program.

You'd have to take and pass the LSAT. And you'd need to know how to do a basic google to start off with.

Law school is a MAJOR undertaking and you need a BA from a real college before you can even think of applying.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:48 pm
OP please do a careful evaluation before you jump into an “easy” JD program. As mentioned above, the economics of law are leaning toward very high paying positions in large prestigious firms , where one must be prepared to work hard , and work long hours. Which doesn’t sound what you are seeking. Said large firms tend to hire only graduates from top law schools . Other than these positions, it is questionable how high paying job one can land - after paying extremely high tuition.
That being said re JD degree (and to some extent other graduate degrees) I respectfully disagree with the poster who posited that a “good” undergraduate degree is so important for law school. I am in a “law family” and in addition , am acquainted with many many attorneys. Most of them are men who never stepped foot in college to receive an undergraduate degree. They performed well (as a matter of fact most did exceptionally well) on the LSAT, attended top tier law schools and landed top paying jobs in prestigious law firms. Of course , these men worked very hard, and are obviously smart BH, but they did it all without any formal secular education prior to rigorous law school. Such a path is not for everyone , but at the same time it is not a Must to have a good undergraduate education .
Wishing clarity and hatzlacha to all.

amother
  Cornsilk

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:51 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I agree with amother plum. There are paralegals in top NY law firms making very good salaries with much less schooling. I would look into it.

Paralegal is a very different career and experience. If OP is drawn to the analytical aspects of being an attorney, she is unlikely to find that in paralegal work.

I would sooner recommend fields like regulatory affairs, compliance, human resources. Also, manufacturing quality and environmental health and safety (EH&S) roles.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 2:45 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
With all due respect, one of the MAJOR aspects of being an attorney is the ability to do the hard work and research. I'm wondering if you really understand what it means to go through law school if you are asking on imamother for a "program", not law school, and asking if a seminary offers this kind of thing, as if it's no different than any other sem teaching certification (that only certifies you to teach in beis yaakov) or graphic designer program.

You'd have to take and pass the LSAT. And you'd need to know how to do a basic google to start off with.

Law school is a MAJOR undertaking and you need a BA from a real college before you can even think of applying.
I have a BA, studied for LSAT, I have heard of yeshiva’s having such “programs” that are paired up with an accredited law school. Was just wondering if there is anything similar for a working mother.

What do you mean you mean by “ you'd need to know how to do a basic google to start off with.” Doesn’t everyone know how to google.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics