Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I’m thinking about selling home baked goods for the secular
Previous  1  2

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 3:26 pm
I am the OP of the Etsy thread earlier today, if you’re baked goods are very pretty and artsy you can try Etsy

So my question was if I would need a license to be able to sell food on Etsy. For regular items I don’t think you need anything but selling food has its own laws and requirements

Btw I’m assuming that any secular store will have requirements as well..

Amarante  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 3:28 pm
You could solicit small restaurants and see if they are interested in using your items for dessert.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 6:00 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
I would think she doesn't want to treif her kitchen unless she eats CA.

CS not CA (IYKYK)

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 6:46 pm
Lucky Princess wrote:
cuz its way better

Ok but what would make a person motivated to buy a bakery item from a private person? We jews like a good piece of sourdough for shabbos. Why would someone order privately over going to the supermarket (where you can find a big cake for a cheap price)? I like the idea of a farmers market or in Union Square.

Whoever hugged me- please let me know what caused the passive aggressiveness . You can even reply in red rose forum. Just curious

Amarante  

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 6:46 am
flowerpower wrote:
Ok but what would make a person motivated to buy a bakery item from a private person? We jews like a good piece of sourdough for shabbos. Why would someone order privately over going to the supermarket (where you can find a big cake for a cheap price)? I like the idea of a farmers market or in Union Square.

Whoever hugged me- please let me know what caused the passive aggressiveness . You can even reply in red rose forum. Just curious

That would be a result of how the product is marketed.

You need to find a way to get people to know about your product.

If you can do that then there would be a "business" as there are many people who would love to be able to buy really good baked products

These kinds of expensive "artisan" baked products are very popular and command a premium price.

People would buy individual servings or they might be a whole cake/pie or whatever if they are hosting a dinner party.

Why do people spend $5 or more on a coffee? Or $5 for a scone or a muffin.

Fatwich Brownies are considered very trendy - A brownie is $5.25. Just an example

https://www.fatwitch.com/produ.....ches/

Milk Bar is another trendy bakery - 6 Cookies in a tin are $27

I have deliberately selected brownies and cookies to illustrate because they are relatively cheap to make and also easy to make.

Why does anyone pay $5.25 for a relatively small brownie when they can make a pan of brownies for $10 or so using high quality ingredients - brownies being very simple to bake and pretty much foolproof.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jul 18 2024, 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 7:10 am
Ty all for your input. Many questions and comments to really think about and answer to. My goal would be to make buying my baked goods an experience. Similar to Starbucks - you’re paying for the “luxury” experience more than the coffee.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 7:25 am
I think part of that luxury that Amarante is referring to, though, is the indulgence of going into a fancy bakery, picking out a delicious pastry, maybe getting a hazelnut latte to go with it. Better if I can sit and enjoy the ambiance there, but even the experience of stepping into a buzzy cafe and walking out with a pretty chocolate croissant can feel luxurious. Especially if it's a trendy spot like Milk Bar. Driving to someone's house and knocking on their door and being handed a pastry, even if it's equally delicious, wouldn't hit in the same way for me. Not sure if that's what your storefront would be, but I do think the "experience" around buying an expensive baked good is up there in importance with the taste. But also I'm not sure if we're talking about like, baking cakes for parties, or selling individual brownies.

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 7:35 am
I’m a giyores for many years and work in a non-Jewish workplace where my coworkers are always having potlucks. Secular people are used to much better baked goods than those of us in frum enclaves. Most parve baked goods aren’t very good. The difference between a basic milchige pound cake and a parve pound cake is huge. Frum people use a lot of Rich’s whip and margarine in their baking and it tastes gross. I never understand why people bother making parve eclairs or cannoli, for example. So if you want to market to a secular audience, you either need to use really good milchige recipes or focus on niche parve products (gluten free, for example).

amother
Magenta  

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 7:40 am
amother RosePink wrote:
I’m a giyores for many years and work in a non-Jewish workplace where my coworkers are always having potlucks. Secular people are used to much better baked goods than those of us in frum enclaves. Most parve baked goods aren’t very good. The difference between a basic milchige pound cake and a parve pound cake is huge. Frum people use a lot of Rich’s whip and margarine in their baking and it tastes gross. I never understand why people bother making parve eclairs or cannoli, for example. So if you want to market to a secular audience, you either need to use really good milchige recipes or focus on niche parve products (gluten free, for example).

The quality of most "kosher" baked goods is terrible - as it the quality of kosher Chinese food LOL

There would be no market for any kind of "kosher" baked goods unless - as posted - they were aimed at a niche - for example vegan. I don't think gluten free would work because you can make delicious gluten free stuff with butter - for example delicious linzer cookies or tarts.

Aurora

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 7:41 am
amother RosePink wrote:

Not a giyores, but I prefer most of the Shavuos baking for exactly this reason. All of this is something to keep in mind.

Amarante  

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 7:43 am
icedcoffee wrote:
I think part of that luxury that Amarante is referring to, though, is the indulgence of going into a fancy bakery, picking out a delicious pastry, maybe getting a hazelnut latte to go with it. Better if I can sit and enjoy the ambiance there, but even the experience of stepping into a buzzy cafe and walking out with a pretty chocolate croissant can feel luxurious. Especially if it's a trendy spot like Milk Bar. Driving to someone's house and knocking on their door and being handed a pastry, even if it's equally delicious, wouldn't hit in the same way for me. Not sure if that's what your storefront would be, but I do think the "experience" around buying an expensive baked good is up there in importance with the taste. But also I'm not sure if we're talking about like, baking cakes for parties, or selling individual brownies.

Depends on how it is marketed.

I go to a large Farmer's Market where there are a few booths that sell "artisanal" foods including baked items, cheese, jam and equivalent.

Or as I suggested small restaurants that can't afford a pastry chef might want to purchase items to be sold by them on their dessert menu

Depending on what is being sold and how it is being marketed, it could also work as direct sales of cakes or equivalent. There is a woman who runs a small business selling artisanal latkes to secular people - they aren't kosher.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 7:43 am
Why don't you sell "Jewish" items like babka, hamentasch etc. maybe thats a niche. People love buying 'ethnic' food.
I'm from montreal, people from the french canadian (not jewish) community flock to this bakery from cheskies to get the babka and rugelach.

You can get everything else cheaper and better from the grocery store or high end bakeries.

Amarante  

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 7:45 am
amother Brown wrote:
Why don't you sell "Jewish" items like babka, hamentasch etc. maybe thats a niche. People love buying 'ethnic' food.
I'm from montreal, people from the french canadian (not jewish) community flock to this bakery from cheskies to get the babka and rugelach.

You can get everything else cheaper and better from the grocery store or high end bakeries.

Montreal bagels are a "thing" among foodies

Also there is a specific type of blueberry pastry only sold in Montreal. I forget the name but I stumbled across it because I was trying to find a recipe for a blueberry pastry my Bubbe made. She called them "shtunekas" (or as closely as I can replicate the sound) and they were Polish as that is where she was from.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 7:47 am
Aurora wrote:
Not a giyores, but I prefer most of the Shavuos baking for exactly this reason. All of this is something to keep in mind.

Nothing compares to a rugelach with dough made from cream cheese and butter

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 7:56 am
amother OP wrote:
Community. There are so many women that sell home baked stuff to our community I’m wondering how to get into the secular one. I live in Brooklyn for reference. Is there a website I can advertise? Any specific hashtags I can use on instagram to gain an audience from that world? I know I can just sell to our community but it’s so over saturated and I have one close friend that would be extremely insulted and hurt if one of her customers bought from me instead of her. I’ve been told numerous times to sell my stuff so I know they’re good. I haven’t done anything about it because I don’t want to hurt this friend even tho he’s parnossah comes from hashem and even if every person in the block opens the same thing it doesn’t take away from you I think sometimes it’s hard to remember that. I’d also be interested in having a stand in some sort of farmers market type place.

it’s actually not so simple there are halachos about this, best to ask a rav.it is true that everything comes from Hashem but we have free will you don't want to be the Shaliach of something bad..

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 8:33 am
amother Magenta wrote:
The quality of most "kosher" baked goods is terrible - as it the quality of kosher Chinese food LOL

There would be no market for any kind of "kosher" baked goods unless - as posted - they were aimed at a niche - for example vegan. I don't think gluten free would work because you can make delicious gluten free stuff with butter - for example delicious linzer cookies or tarts.
Lots of people who need gf have other allergies as well. So there’s plenty of demand for gluten free that is also dairy free, nut free, egg free and also tastes delicious

amother
  Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 8:41 am
amother Ballota wrote:
Lots of people who need gf have other allergies as well. So there’s plenty of demand for gluten free that is also dairy free, nut free, egg free and also tastes delicious

To attempt to market baked goods that are free of all allergies would be impossible.

Also anyone who is that allergic would not be the market for this kind of product because you would have to guarantee there is absolutely no cross contamination.

Vegan is possible because it is relatively easy to guarantee that it is vegan.

Even gluten free is difficult if a person is seriously celiac because of cross contamination.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics