Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
S/o The price of camp
Previous  1  2

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 8:11 am
imasinger wrote:
There are plenty of costs you might not have considered. Does the camp hire anyone to run an infirmary, distribute meds, take kids for care in case of injury or illness? Is it near a large food distributor, or do they need to pay to have food delivered for the kitchen to make? Who makes, maintains, checks the eruv? When repairs are needed, or area wildlife intrudes, there are costs. Are there scholarships for those who really need but can't afford? And all this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I don't know of any camp directors on the Fortune 500 list. The camps you are describing are run by ehrliche people, who are doing their best to provide a safe and wholesome environment. It's reasonable for them to receive an income for that.

While not everyone has the funds to send their kids, or chooses to spend, I think it's wrong to accuse the owners/directors of highway robbery.

Most camps have one nurse, who is getting mimimal pay in exchange for free camp / and or accommodations. Many staff have similar arrangements in my experience (I have been offered jobs with swimming but have no interest in working for pennies to go the country when I have a perfectly fine house where I live).
The problem isn’t making a killing of a luxury service. Similar to seminary, camps are being branded as a necessity and social suicide to not do it . It cannot be both ways. Either it’s for the rich (and then yes they should be treated accordingly) or it’s a basic need for our kids well being and then it should be semi affordable and can be basic level.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 9:01 am
My DD went to a camp last year that was supposed to be a wonderful OOT bais Yaakov camp.
Some of the prizes given out over the summer included a Michele Watch, Keirug machine, electric scooter, thede are just the ones I specifically remember. I wouldn't exactly call those trinkets
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children