Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Harassment by Queens Pizza Store Employee
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:35 pm
I am so freaked out. My family is visiting in Queens. My children went with an adult to eat out at Benji’s. They had a good time and took pictures there. When they were done eating, they crossed the street to Wasserman's. As they were crossing the street, my teenage daughter noticed that the worker from behind the counter at Benji's was following them. While they were in Wasserman’s, the worker from Benji’s waited until the adult with them was busy on a cellphone and then approached my teenage daughter and asked if she took pictures of him. She said she was scared and the man looked strange and she told him no. He demanded to see her phone and he scrolled through her pictures to see. Then he asked another one of my teenage daughters for her phone, but she doesn’t have one, she had been using the adult’s phone in the pizza store, so the man assumed she also had a phone. Finally, he left. (Yes, I’m upset with the adult for not paying attention to what was going on and at the kids for not going to the adult they were with while this was happening.) I don’t live here, is there anyone who does and has heard of anything like this happening? I was worried before I came here that NY was not safe, now I’m really scared. I feel like now I can’t let my kids who are teenagers go anywhere without tight supervision.

amother
Tangerine  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:41 pm
tell the manager
and file a police report
check if he has a record

hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Whitewash  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:42 pm
Perhaps the employee is an illegal immigrant & is nervous about being in pictures.
In any case, I'd definitely bring it up with the store's manager.

amother
Navy  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:43 pm
Important to teach them now, don’t talk to strangers and find a safe adult immediately if you feel uncomfortable. I’d call the store and the police.

groovy1224  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:43 pm
I'd probably contact shomrim for a situation of this nature. They can get footage from the store cameras and help you with filing a police report, if that's what they suggest.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:44 pm
So weird. I’m in Benjy’s every week on Thursday night for the past 4 years and I know all the workers for years and years before that. They all seem okay (not always the brightest but certainly helpful and friendly). Maybe he was just having a rough day?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:49 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I'd probably contact shomrim for a situation of this nature. They can get footage from the store cameras and help you with filing a police report, if that's what they suggest.

Is there Shomrim in Queens? How do I contact them?

WhatFor  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:50 pm
I hope you told your daughters that they never need to show their phones to strangers who make random accusations of them? Like not only don't need to, but absolutely should not, and if a person continues to harass them, they can call the police, or even interrupt the adult worker who's on the phone for help? That sounds nuts. (I'm assuming your daughters told you the whole story, and that they weren't bothering that guy.)

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:52 pm
amother Beige wrote:
So weird. I’m in Benjy’s every week on Thursday night for the past 4 years and I know all the workers for years and years before that. They all seem okay (not always the brightest but certainly helpful and friendly). Maybe he was just having a rough day?

I don't know - a rough day is being rude to a customer or dropping their food on the floor - not stalking them across a large boulevard and into another store.

amother
  Tangerine  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:53 pm
even if a kid were bothering an adult
that is no excuse
if so then appropriate for employee to talk to the adult
not the kid
and not to ask kid for phone!!!

so sorry op!

groovy1224  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:55 pm
amother OP wrote:

There must be because I remember reading a story on yeshiva world last week or the week before about them helping with an investigation into an attempted kidnapping. I'll do some googling and see if I can find contact information.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:56 pm
WhatFor wrote:
I hope you told your daughters that they never need to show their phones to strangers who make random accusations of them? Like not only don't need to, but absolutely should not, and if a person continues to harass them, they can call the police, or even interrupt the adult worker who's on the phone for help? That sounds nuts. (I'm assuming your daughters told you the whole story, and that they weren't bothering that guy.)

Yes, I told them. I think they were so shocked, they didn't know what to do. I feel so bad for them. Yes, I also spoke to the adult with them. They told me the full story. The worker seemed very anxious. Maybe as another poster wrote, he's an illegal worker. But still - it's crazy!

amother
Vanilla  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:56 pm
Please please talk to your teenage daughters. They really should be able to understand not speaking to strangers, especially the older teen giving her phone to stranger no no no
Please please reinforce the concept of boundaries in their minds!

amother
Azure  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

Queens Shmira
(718) 329-4444

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 11:22 pm
I think you should contact the stores manager before involving shmira. They may blow it up & involve the police, and if he is an illegal immigrant, he may get deported.

DrMom  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 11:33 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
I think you should contact the stores manager before involving shmira. They may blow it up & involve the police, and if he is an illegal immigrant, he may get deported.

Good! And the restaurant should get in trouble for employing him.

But why do you assume he is an illegal immigrant? The US doesn't seem to care if people are there illegally these days, so why would that be the reason he'd worry about having his picture taken?

In any case, you should report the incident to the manager first.

amother
  Navy  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 11:34 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

Wait we support breaking laws??

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 11:36 pm
DrMom wrote:
Good! And the restaurant should get in trouble for employing him.

But why do you assume he is an illegal immigrant? The US doesn't seem to care if people are there illegally these days, so why would that be the reason he'd worry about having his picture taken?

In any case, you should report the incident to the manager first.

The restaurant may not necessarily know that he's an illegal immigrant. Employers may not ask employees or potential employees if they're legal or not. They may only ask for a social security card & many illegals have forged cards.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 11:39 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
The restaurant may not necessarily know that he's an illegal immigrant. Employers may not ask employees or potential employees if they're legal or not. They may only ask for a social security card & many illegals have forged cards.

Can you clarify?

Do you mean that by law, employers may not ask this?

amother
  Azure  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 11:43 pm
DrMom wrote:
Can you clarify?

Do you mean that by law, employers may not ask this?

By law they may not ask the employee directly.
But they are required to collect official identification from employee and keep on record, which is when they know anyway (hopefully).
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries